“Overall it was ok”

Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Maitland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently with our 14 month old as a one nighter before heading to Hunter Valley the day after. We arrived around 9.00pm and we were welcomed by the manager who was lovely.
The room itself was spacious and had two beds, the only thing I didn't like was that the floors squeaked a lot and we could hear all the doors slamming from the other rooms. So in terms of noise we thought it was quite noisy.
We also tried the buffet breakfast the next day which had a variety food which was good. I found the bacon too tough and I also noticed a lot of the glasses were not washed properly and still had lipstick and lips marks which was not nice to see.
Overall our stay was ok and we were there just to sleep for the one night which wasn't too bad. I don't think I would choose this hotel to stay in again though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed 19 August 2013

10 years ago my partner and I stayed at the Monte Pio and it was a lovely hotel then. We had what I think was the Bridal Suite with the open fire. We had a lovely stay and did hope to return but didn't think we'd take this long. However, with the recent renovations it was a pleasant surprise and we stayed not in the same room but one the same floor in another loft room. The fire place has gone because of the Fire&Safety regulations but the room was still cosy and well appointed. The decor was Coco Republic which clashed with the old bathroom settings but that is neither here nor there as the bathrooms will be upgraded in the future. I found their whole furnishings quite eclectic with a Grecian theme in the foyer, heritage in the dining/lounge area and the bling in the bedrooms. There is something for everyone. The new owners have undertaken an enormous job in transforming this hotel and I sincerely hope it works out for them. Such a lovely building with local history deserves to carry on with lots of people coming to enjoy the hospitality. We ate at the restaurant on Saturday night and although it was busy with a couple of basketball teams and parents, it was a non issue. The food was well prepared and delicious. There is the regular menu plus a seasonal one and an adequate wine list. The staff are more than accommodating and if you have any issues or worries about booking, ask them. They are very helpful and also want to make your stay a pleasant one.

Room Tip: If you stay a Sunday night be sure to ask about breakfast for Monday morning. As there were only us...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My sister, mum and I stayed at the Monte Pio the weekend that Elton John performed at Hope Estate.. despite booking 5 months out from the concert, I was quite limited in the available accommodation which was in our budget.

Found a room at Monte Pio through Wotif - booking went well and the room was there for us when we turned up, thank goodness! Shower was okay, rooms felt a little unloved, but the building is a beautiful old girl who just needs some love (but it sounds like they may be getting that now thankfully!)

My grandmother was born in Maitland and we still have family links to the area, so it's nice to see people respecting the old buildings.

Will certainly give Monte Pio another go if I ever stay in Maitland again.. nothing to turn me off it per se, but just felt a little bit neglected when I was there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AccessAllAreas
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Having grown up in Maitland in the 80s my wife and I remember when the Monte Pio was "the" place in Maitland. (I had my Year 12 formal there in 1987 and we stayed in the Bridal Suite on the the first night of our Honeymoon). We were heartened when we found out that the new owners were undertaking a refurbishment of the Monte Pio and last time we stayed we were impressed with the work that was being carried out.
This visit we booked into a spa suite and were pleasantly surprised and excited to be given the same room we stayed in on our first night of married life. The room was well appointed and had been recently refurbished, the carpet was new, as was the king sized bed and all the appointments. The only down side was the bathroom which has obviously not had the magic wand waved over it yet, but it was still clean and everything worked.
The whole establishment was modernised and felt clean and fresh. There was 2 netball teams staying there who were very noisy on the first night, but after discussing our concerns with the management team there was no problem the following nights.
We dined one night in "The Pines" restaurant and found it to be excellent food at a reasonable price with excellent attentive service.
The tarriff was extremely reasonable and more than appropriate for the quailty of the stay.
We must make speacial mention of the manager of his staff, they are always so friendly and welcoming that we always feel like we are among friends when we stay here.
We will be back!!

Room Tip: Call the property and talk to the staff, they will be more than happy to help you enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jandk_95
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed for one night but will definitely be back to do a Hunter Valley tour and will stay here again. Rooms were spacious with Foxtel available and the whole atmosphere of the place was a refreshing change from most hotel chains. Excellent value for money as this gave the impression of a much more luxurious motel than most and although some rooms are upstairs there is a readily accessible lift. Excellent restaurant also on site.

Room Tip: rooms in the wing away from the main road are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed recently for a couple of nights & really enjoyed it. It's different from a "Brand" hotel which I really liked. Excellent redevelopment...with the rooms a very good standard, spacious and well maintained. Everything worked and everything where it should be. Free in-room wifi and Foxtel make it an excellent choice for the traveller.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank erf1302
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My business takes me far and wide around Australia but one of my popular hotels is Monte Pio Maitland. Two and half years I have stayed at this hotel.
The new owners are working extremely hard to restore an old icon to a razzle dazzle hotel. Monte Pio takes time and hard work to achieve the wow factor. I have stayed in five starred hotes that are being renovated whilst I was a quest and never once have staff tried to make my stay outside the box.

Monte Pio on booking in often discuss there current upgrades and renovations to guest and apologise for any inconviences you may suffer but never have I experienced anything that would stop me returning.

The current upgardes are a compliment to the management and staff and I look forward to the final completions.

Room Tip: If you are concerned ask for a renovated room and just enjoy the experience a peace of Maitlands his...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maitland
Quest Maitland
Pindari House
Pindari House
#1 of 1 in Lochinvar
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens

Been to Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!