“Great place to stay”

Shenanigans at The Imperial
Ranked #12 of 16 Maitland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I do not have a bad thing to say about this place. I had a great stay here. Very good value for money. Definitely will stay here again. Off street parking at the back of hotel kept my car off the street. Close to shopping centre just a great place to stay. Thanks for the great stay

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Shauny E
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2014

Thanks for your kind words. We certainly do appreciate them.
Regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

As a local I have eaten at Shenanigans frequently with a number of friends as well as for the occasional family dinner. Our orders are varied and none of us has ever had cause for complaint. The food is fresh, well prepared and servings large enough to fill husband and sons. The decor is cosy especially in Winter with the heater on and booths are a great change to open plan seating. The historic photos of Maitland are worth the trip in themselves. The staff are always attentive, friendly and efficient and food reliably good. Parking is always easy and verandah seating is available.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelle2320
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

It's always so much nicer to get some kudos from the locals. Everyone at Shenanigans tries really hard to impress, and now with so many "Master Chefs" around, it is getting tougher to please everyone. The dream continues however!
We all truly appreciate your lovely comments.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We find this the most convenient accommodation for Steamfest. The price includes basic but very convenient breakfast that you serve yourself in a tiny but adequate kitchen area. The showers and toilets are shared and some rooms have a basin in them. This year our room didn't have that and if I stay here again I will ask for a room with a basin. They provide white bread for toasting plus cereal, orange juice and tea/coffee. An advantage is that you can bring other things you want eg yoghurt and leave it in the communal frig. A downside is that you have to climb stairs to the bedrooms so no good for people with a disability.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank JulieAnnWi

Isn't Steamfest a wonderful festival. I think it's great, and it appears to be gaining in popularity every year.
Glad you liked our accommodation. As I have said many times previously... It isn't everyone's cup of tea, mainly because of the shared facilities and absence of ensuites, however it is good value and spotlessly clean.
Thanks again,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family were over for Christmas and wouldn't fit in the house, so they spent a wonderful couple of nights recently at Shenanigans. Rooms comfortable, breakfast lovely. Staff were wonderful. Found ourselves making a last minute booking for 17 people in the bistro on Xmas Eve and the whole group found the meals fantastic and the staff very accommodating .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brookest13
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

I am so very happy that you enjoyed my pub so much....the accommodation, food and service. My guys really do try hard, and it is disappointing for them when they are not given the wraps that they deserve.
I hope we have the opportunity of being of service to you again.

Cheers,

Reviewed 22 December 2013

When your charging top dollar for pub food you should expect a decent dinner at this place not the case $25 for a bought in schnitzel with five chips is a joke and the $31 crumbed cutlets were disgusting after asking for my money back I was told no we can only give you a buy one get one free after insisting for my money back we were given half the money what a joke of a place if you can't get the basics right why bother I know it's really hard to crumb some chicken and fry it the chef should go back into retirement its chicken schnitzel and crumbed cutlets,mushroom sauce how hard is it what a hole

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Transfo

What can I say? I am very sorry you had a bad experience. Your complaint was not handled at all well, and was not in keeping with the guidelines we have given our staff in this area. I am happy to discuss this with you if you want to make contact via email at info@shenanigans.com.au

As for the food itself, our staff advise that they served six other portions of the lamb cutlets that night,. They managed to ask 3 of these diners what they thought of the food, and received only compliments. The other 3 had already left.Similarly with the schnitzel....we sell over 200 of them a week, and have been using the same supplier for 18 years. So, I guess I don't have any answers for you in those particular areas.

However, I do re-iterate that I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your Shenanigans Experience and I would like the opportunity to set things right..

On another note, I must mention that should any customer verbally abuse or swear at any of our staff, my instruction to them is to walk away. I tell them that they do not have to put up with any abuse or bad language, or any unruly behaviour of any sort. They are employed to serve, biut not to be servants or be spoken down to or in a demeaning fashion.
I look forward to hearing from you so that we can fairly discuss all of the above.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I spent three nights staying on the first floor in a room with shared facilities. Was a very good quality room of this type.
The room was quite large and spacious, with both a double and single bed, with a cupboard, table/chairs, flat screen TV and hand basin with hot and cold running water. Bed was comfortable. The room was clean on arrival, and made up each day.
The shared facilities look like they had recently been renovated and were immaculately clean each time I used them. Of course there were separate for men and women.
Facilities were provided for breakfast, with a kitchen area and table/chairs in a shared area. Breakfast consisted of cereal or bread to make toast, and tea/coffee.
When booking the hotel, I wasnt sure about parking. There is a big free council car park at the rear of the hotel. It does have 3 hour time limit - but only between 8am and 5pm (1pm on Saturdays). I have included a pic. It doesnt take much to figure out so that you can safely park for the night.

Room Tip: Parking available at rear of hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dingoh

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will again some time in the future. Thanks for passing on the parking info to others.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I am a local who has frequented the Imperial for the last 25+ years. It has always had a good reputation, decent food and fun atmosphere for a drink and a laugh. I have always enjoyed the food over this time so it saddens me to have cause to post this review. I recently had the opportunity to meet up with my husband during my lunch hour from work (not something we get the opportunity to do often). We decided on the Imperial and enjoyed a lovely main meal. Very fresh, well cooked and well presented. Staff were pleasant and service was quick. In fact, service was so good, we had time to enjoy a coffee and a dessert after our meal. I decided on the caramel cheesecake, it arrived promptly and I tucked in quickly. After a few mouthfuls, I thought it had a strange taste and started to inspect the cheesecake closely. Imagine my horror when I discovered MOULD on my cheesecake. Needless to say, I felt ill!!!! We took the dessert back and spoke to the young girl at the counter and she apologised and took it in to show the chef. On return she refunded us the price of our two desserts. So we didn't have to pay for it and she did apologise for serving it to us. But at the end of the day, it should never have been served to me, and I wonder exactly how old the cheesecake was for it have mould grow on it. Come on guys, pick up your game. This has really put me off and I can't see me being comfortable eating there again in a hurry. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheGriswalls
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

You're absolutely right and I extend my sincere apology. Steps have been taken to see that it does not happen again.