“Friendly staff”

Carrington Place
Ranked #15 of 29 Newcastle B&B and Inns
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Rooms clean, a little small. Shared bathroom. The only thing is they forgot to clean our room .

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This place has a lot to offer, but I just could not return for an overnight stay.

I love the location, peace & tranquility, big wide streets with almost zero cars (on the weekend), waterfront walks & cafes, all little more than a stone's throw to the city hub.

The modern restaurant (chef/owner) looks the part with its open kitchen, professional service and great food. There is also a pleasant little bar/cafe downstairs.

The rooms too are quite comfy, just a little cramped.

However the major drawback for me, was the very limited shared bathroom facilities. If the rooms were 50% full or greater there would be an inconvenient queue for the single toilet or the separate bathroom with one only bath/shower combined.

Most domestic family homes have more bathroom and toilet facilities than this place.

It is a shame, because this is a great spot with only one major negative.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Glennr17
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We went for a friends Birthday dinner and were bitterly disappointed. Initially the waitress stated to us that they didn't have any Pinot Noir as it was the end of the financial year. When my stuffed squid came out it was certainly stuffed..........with cartilage. The Tuna was well done instead of the specified rare and my Duck was Pork. The mains are served with the same side no matter what you order. All this when we decided to give this restaruant a second chance as I had plastic in my meal last time. Never again!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank oz_coast_girls
Reviewed 19 June 2011

After landing newcastle, I was ready for my stay at Carrington Place. What seemed to be a very isolated suburb, it was the perfect location for a quiet night. I was checked in by such welcoming staff, I think it was the guest house manager "Kaitlin" who checked me in, what a delight. I headed up stairs to a quaint room, The beds were big and incredibly comfy.
Later that night I dined in the restaurant, "fine dining" style and it was well worth the money, slight wait on food but it was a busy saturday so as to be expected. However I was well looked after by who I believe was the restaurant manager. All in all, the staff were great.

I enjoyed my stay thoroughly and I will be back.

• Stayed October 2010
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2011

After speaking with a lovely girl on the phone to book I was very much looking forward to arriving. I was greeted on arrival by wonderful staff and escorted to my room to find chic renovated guesthouse style rooms. Beds were incredibly comfy and although the TV was a little outdated it still offered all my favourite foxtel and free to air channels. I did only stay one night and didnt get to try the restaurant but have decided to make regular visits to Carrington Place to try the restuarant and tapas bar! Thanks to a very kind restaurant manager Laura who looked after me at check in, she was a delight!!!

Room Tip: Book over the phone!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The property is an old hotel in what used to be a working class neighborhood back in the day (populated mostly by dock workers, I believe). It's been very nicely refurbished and is in a neighborhood that is undergoing significant gentrification. Do note that this is a guesthouse style accomodation - i.e. shared bathrooms.

The downstairs has a very nice bar as well as a restaurant which serve a variety of food and drinks. I had three meals total at the restaurant: Pizza (off their Tapas/Bar menu), Grilled Lamb and Roast Duck (off their Restaurant menu). The pizza was good but the Lamb and Duck were excellent. Fine dining kept simple but deliciously done,

The guest lounge with coffee/tea service, TV, small dining tables, sofa and writing desk was well appointed and had a relaxing feel to it. The included continental breakfast was served here - a few choices of cerels, coffee, tea, toast with a selection of jams & peanut butter, juice, milk. Nothing special but more than sufficient!

My guest room was their deluxe queen if I remember correctly. It was spacious, comfortable and very nicely decorated. It held a desk, two arm chairs, luggage rack, coat/hat tree and TV stand. And the bed of course. Nice bed, soft linens; towels and bathrobes were nice too. Plenty of windows for natural light but good curtains for sleeping in.

Bathroom was spartan but very clean. A nice touch was a basket full of rolled up hand towels. Basic toiletries of nice quality were provided. There are two showers and toilets - I never had to wait to use the facilities.

The was a kitchenette with sink, fridge, coffee/tea making facilities upstairs near the guest rooms.

Beyond everything, what really made my stay here was the people working there. I was greeted by the hotel manager and made to feel very welcome. She took her time getting me checked-in in the lounge, taking time to talk to me about the area, my plans and answering any questions I had. She helped me sort out some details with the tour company I was going on a winery tour with the next day (Gone Walkabout Safaris, HIGHLY recommended- look them up). Other staff were excellent too - always ready with a courteous smile and ready to help with anything. Very accommodating and friendly. Much of my contact was with who I think was the head waitress or some such position (coincidentally, the daughter of the owner), and she was absolutely lovely - really went above and beyond. The person who seemed in charge of the bar also was very good. Came into contact with several other staff, including the owner who is a chef in the kitchens and all were very nice.

A minor downside to this place is the location - a bit out of the way for sightseeing. However it's only a 10 minute walk to a main dining area or 30 mins to downtown and cabs are easily available. Cab to downtown costs 10-15AUD. Cab to airport cost 50-60AUD. Most tours do door-to-door service though, so that's not an issue.

All in all I had an excellent stay. I chose this place because I enjoy accomodations with a bit more uniqueness and character than your typical hotel and I was definitely not disappointed! Price was good too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2011

My husband has stayed here before and couldn't reccomend it enough. A regular traveller with his business he often is put up in small b&bs or pub style accommodation bur said this is one of the best. Only recently renovated they have maintained the vintage feel with modern twist, including amazingly comfy beds, foxtel facilities and a genuinely divine restaurant downstairs!!! As I was only visiting myfamily for one night I didn't get to try the tapas menu but my husband and I will definitely be returning, and this time for a nice getaway for ourselves!

• Stayed March 2011