“Always a pleasure”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
nsw
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Have stayed here many times & always lives up to expectations . Clean , comfortable & very convenient with the Club next door offering choices for dining . Only fault I can find with this Hotel is lack of a pool or spa for general use . I think there is a pool in the gym but not for all guests to use . Their other hotel Wests at Lambton has a great pool .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Gateway Inn, Newcastle. Many future guests may be unaware that the hotel is situated next to an adjoining Club with numerous dining options; it’s great to hear that you had the opportunity to explore the area.

Although we do not have a general use spa the Gateway Inn does have a spa suite with spectacular views. You’ll find that the Balance Health Club pool is very busy with classes, however as all guests are provided with complimentary passes to the gym facilities we encourage guests to check with reception regarding free use pool hours.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I enquired about rooms without connecting doors. The only one was a spa Junior Suite at A$225 right above the lobby. I enquired about possible other noise sources as we had spent a noisy stay the night before in a different hotel. The room was nice, very good bed. There was traffic noise from the street, but not too bad. So we slept until about 1.30 am when some noisy guests got back to their rooms from the bar. The process was repeated several times with presumably other guests until about 4.00 am after which time it finally became quiet. This is the type of Hotel one should absolutely avoid on weekends, as there is a big restaurant and bar with parties and weddings. We realized our mistake too late.

Room Tip: Avoid week ends due to noise from party guests
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Werner010
TheWestsGroup, Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
We are sorry to hear that there was noise on the floor. We have 24/7 manned reception, on site managers and security to assist with such issues. What's disappointing is that our guests do not call reception so we can organise security up on the floor to suppress the noise, unfortunately our reception team cannot hear the floor noise from reception, so unless we receive a call we do not know that this is happening.

We can assure you that this is not a normal situation at our hotel and the noise was not from parties or weddings at the Club.
Kincumber, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, with poor car park signage, the young blonde receptionist gave no eye contact & explained things in such a rush, that after a long drive I missed most of it. So I make my way to the room hoping to relax with a cuppa, only to find no coffee cups & no teaspoons. So then I went to try out the facilities of the gym, which was hard to locate & after I finished it was raining - as there's no undercover path back to the hotel, the options are to walk through the adjoining cIub in gym gear, or run through the rain, which I chose.

Next is dinner, so I wandered over to the club only to be abused by the nasty doorman for not having my little piece of cardboard I received on check-in. I was well dressed, had photo ID & he knew I was staying at the hotel, but he felt it necessary to humiliate & intimidate, instead of just explaining the complicated process.

After dinner I made my way back to the hotel room, hoping to relax with a movie, but discover that I cannot access the movie channel. A call to reception & I have the receptionist walking into my room 3 times over the course of an hour trying to fix it, which I found completely invasive. She states that she will offer a reduction in price for the room.

The next morning at check-out I spoke to the Manager about the experience & he offered no apology nor seemed to even care. He said "as you have booked with Wotif, there's not a lot I can do". I said "so I have to pay a bond in case I damage any property, but it doesn't matter what state the room is in" to which he replied "pretty much". I was shocked at finding all the staff so rude.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank KSL1008
TheWestsGroup, Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
We thank you for taking the time to offer feedback and all feedback helps us improve our services. We apologise that you thought the staff were not helpful and rude and we will endeavour to address your response with the staff in question. It's disappointing to read this as the two employees described are our most diligent employees when it comes to service.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Gateway Inn has always impressed. Great sized rooms, great service, fantastic breakfast, clean, tidy and easy. Perfect for business or pleasure (my travel is for business, but would happily come back on holiday). Ample power sockets and good desk. The only small drawback is the new curtains/shades appear to let off a small smell, nothing bad but I am sure it will reduce in time. I really enjoy this place. I stay in about 3 to 5 different hotels every couple of weeks - if only I could fine this quality and value for money everywhere else! Well done.

• Stayed October 2013
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your fantastic feedback. We’re always pleased to hear that our corporate guests find our facilities comfortable whilst travelling for work. Perhaps you can visit Figtree Restaurant for an evening meal during your next stay?
I have passed your helpful feedback regarding the ‘new’ smell of the hotel curtains onto our hotel manager to investigate further.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed for one night in the one bedroom apartment and found this hotel more than met our expectations! The king size bed was very, very comfortable & the pillows wonderful - I even brought my own pillow & didn't use it! We found the hotel very quiet - suiting our needs to be close to the university & still close to the city. A short drive into town - great location & easy to find. Great walking tracks nearby, my husband even used the pushbike avaiable for guests for a ride before breakfast. We look forward to our return when next in Newcastle.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki P
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hi Vicki,

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback.
It’s great to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the facilities at The Gateway Inn and enjoyed a restful night’s sleep.
We are always happy to learn when guests take a moment to explore the area on our bikes, with complimentary access for all guests perhaps there’ll be time to explore Balance Health Club during your next stay.

We look forward to seeing you soon,
bathurst, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed for 2 nights for business. The facilities are excellent. Ultra modern, huge rooms great king bedding for an excellent nights sleep. The club next to the hotel is your usual standard plenty of pokies etc no real atmosphere.I had dinner on two occasions the grill excellent but the Asian restaurant very very ordinary indeed. The breakfast at the club excellent. Overall an excellent establishment, but location not the best. Better of staying in town on the wharf with plenty of great dining and entertainment options available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback.

We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed our modern interior and updated facilities. It’s a shame that you did not have time to visit our exceptional Figtree Churrasco restaurant on the penthouse level of the hotel however, the numerous dining facilities in the adjoining club are a great option for a casual meal or light snack.

I’m sorry to hear that the Beijing Buffet was not up to its usual standard and will be passing your comments onto management for their consideration.

Kind regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed only 1 night on our way up the coast but could happily have stayed longer. The quality of the rooms was a really nice surprise. The kids loved the double shower and even the sofa bed was seriously comfortable. We will be staying here every time we visit Newcastle from now on!

• Stayed July 2013