All reviewsdouble showerleagues clubwindow seatbay windowrestaurant upstairswatch the tvfrosted glass walladjoining clubwest clubcommercial gymspa roomroom servicerooms are niceopening windowshotel guestshot breakfastboth dinner and breakfast
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a 3 night family deal and stayed with our newborn baby. First opinions were that the place was very modern with very few guests. I write this review some weeks later as we have just noticed we were charged twice. Once through Wotif and the other directly by the hotel. For a new family especially $455 is a lot of money to pay interest on, we are just lucky we noticed it in time. I will be contacting the hotel tomorrow, however it is likely to take a few days for the funds to be returned.

Checking In: The gentleman was polite and explained the services, room and leagues club. The older gentleman at the clubs foyer was absolutely delightful!! He explained everything about the club.

Room: Very clean, crisp and modern. We had the apartment and it was more than enough room. Our keys would not work at first and after having them reissued only worked on one door. The adjoining door to access the apartment side was locked on arrival. We were really looking forward to watching a movie in the room. However, the service would not work and 3 phone calls later to reception we never gained access nor an apology.

Location: The adjoining leagues club was great for us with a small baby. It was only a brief walk to have dinner then back to our room. We drove to Darby St for a bit of shopping and went for walks around Newcastle. We enjoyed the location. We discussed eating at the hotel restaurant but it was too expensive for us.

PROS: Very spacious, clean and crisp. Restaurant staff and club staff were really lovely. Very quiet location when we stayed. The adjoining leagues club was really great.

CONS: Access to the apartment door was locked but resolved. Keys did not work first time. Reissued cards only worked on one door. Charged twice at $455. In room movies did not work, never resolved nor apology received. Gentleman on the reception at the time was very disappointing. He did not seem to care at all. He just said he would try again to fix it. I asked if there is anything else that can be done. No. I at least thought he should have offered to have IT look into it or try to have it fixed for the following night. Nothing.

HOTEL CONTACTED: I used the hotels website to provide feedback regarding the in room movies and the lack of help from their staff member. I never received a response acknowledging that my feedback had been received or taken on.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank AQuinlan38
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we do apologise that there were a few hiccups with keys and double charging of room of which was all rectified very promptly. In regards to the TV, the TV had to be completely replaced and required a new purchase and installation as the apartment has two TVs there was still an option to watch TV, even thought the Movies were not available.

Overall I read that you had a good time and enjoyable stay and we hope that on the next occasion that everything will be in order, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Accommodation: Couple in a Friday night stay with the "Brazilian Affair Package" in a spa suite. Package included 'El Grande Churrasco' dinner for two at the Figtree Restaurant on the sixth floor.

Our room was a corner spa suite on the fourth floor (4416). Very clean and modern, the bathroom was spacious and features a one person spa bath and a double headed shower. Frosted glass separates the bathroom from the bedroom. A desk with free (wired) broadband is also located in the room along with a small bar fridge (with freezer compartment) and tea and coffee making facilities. No wifi apparent though we didn't enquire further when we couldn't find it. A TV was provided however we didn't use this and there didn't appear to be a DVD player, though I saw a movie channel advertised.

Unlike other reviews, even though our corner room overlooked the main road we didn't hear any traffic noise at all. Maybe due to being on the fourth floor?

Only one very small quibble was a very loud bathroom fan which kicks in automatically when you switch on the bathroom light. Bound to wake up a sleeping partner if you turn on the light during the night.

The king bed was comfortable, crisp sheets and most importantly, clean.

The front desk staff were professional and courteous. Kate was very helpful even though she apparently had just started working there.

The private car park is a bonus, overall we found the hotel clean, well appointed and modern with professional and helpful staff.

We didn't end up going down to have the hot breakfast as we were much too full from the amazing Churrasco dinner the night before! Figtree Restaurant is definitely a must visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors allow more privacy if your room happens to be overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This was my second time staying here, first time being some years ago. The hotel is how I remembered it. It offers exactly what you would expect from a hotel of it's size. The check in guy (Will was his name from memory) was very friendly and courteous and nothing too much trouble. He accommodated an early arrival with no problem.
The room was well appointed with a dual shower head shower, clean, with plenty of amenities and a great array of pillow options.
The restaurant on level 6 was not open on Mondays so a club meal was had. The club is attached to the hotel. The food there was quick and of good quality.
Breakfast in the morning was from 6:30 and was also quick and good.
Parking available right out the front.
The room size and furnishings where on par with what one would expect based on what was paid at that location. So they have nailed the price point. Will be spending a few nights here in the coming months so intend to comment on the standards over time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback.
We’re proud to provide our quests with free parking, bike hire and complimentary access to the nearby Balance Health Club during their stay.
It’s great to hear that you found the facilities comfortable during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Kind regards,
Kayla

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was my second time staying here. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, which had everything we needed and was very clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and I liked the fact that I had access to Balance gym.

Room Tip: We stayed in an apartment on the fifth floor, on the opposite side of the hotel to the road, and had no problems with noise at all.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Hello Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again!

Kind regards,
Kayla

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We needed to stay in Newcastle for just one night and decided to give The Gateway Inn a go, mainly for the value it offered in comparison to the city hotels (and in Newcastle, you're never far from where you need to go) and we just really needed a bed and a clean room rather than location and view this trip. It's a neat, contemporary building and I was pleasantly surprised with the modern (albeit minimalist) decor. I booked directly with the hotel a couple of days before the trip and managed to get a daily deal, saving me $20.
The king bed was comfy, the towels were fluffy, the water was hot, reasonably good toiletries, the room had a safe, parking was adequate and free and the room was quiet (I did have my concerns with its location on a main road, and being adjacent to the large leagues club though this may be more of an issue on weekends) and the hotel is totally non smoking with hefty penalties if this is not adhered to (fabulous!). There was a discount voucher for dining at the club which we didn't use as we wanted to go to some of our favourite eateries we like to visit when we are in town.
My dislikes were - the $200 bond on my credit card which will be returned when it's proven there is no damage sustained (but, I do understand why they would have this, being attached to the club), no free wi fi, and while the bathroom was generally clean, the attendant must have been distracted before emptying and cleaning the bin from the previous guests, and also left a wet cleaning cloth on the bathroom floor (neither of these too big a deal, just an observation and probably a genuine oversight).
Mayfield is not a number one holiday destination, probably never will be (and if it is, you need to get out more!) but I would recommend The Gateway if you need somewhere comfortable and affordable for a night or two.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business