“Not worth the money!”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
charlotte2571
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I booked for two nights and could only stay one due to work commitments. I was unable to get a refund on the second night. Then my room was clean and the bed was comfortable The shower was large . But the rooms have very thin walls a and you hear the drunks in the next room . Yelling and screaming till late hours of the night. I call reception twice they got security up to the room. I checked out the next morning I received a I'm sorry from the front desk. But nothing else . I wont be staying again . This incident ruined my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

If you have any need to stay in the Newcastle area, the Gateway is definitely a place to stay. I think its only downfall is the lack of Wi-Fi unless you are in the main reception. My room was immaculate. Great bedding and the spa bath was so refreshing after a long 5 hour drive. The next door Club only added to the convenience of the the stay. The club staff were so friendly and helpful, especially for some one like me who is not club orientated. The variety of food at both dinner and breakfast was more than one could imagine. I ate so well and enjoyed every morsel.

Room Tip: I did not see or experience the swimming pool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Diane D, thank you for your review on The Gateway Inn.

It's fantastic that you made the most of our facilities and utilised the dining options available to you at our club. Hopefully, on your next stay you can experience the Health Club facilities and sneak in a visit to the pool.

See you again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The business I work for uses the Gateway as a preferred option for accommodation when travelling to Newcastle. Due to this I have stayed on numerous occasions. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are always nice and clean. I find the reception staff a bit hit and miss - sometimes they are great however I have come across a couple that clearly did not want to be there. I have had rooms at the front and the back of the hotel and noise is never a problem. Overall a good place to stay for business however I would personally not like the location for a holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Luv2holiday, as a regular guest at our hotel we appreciate your feedback..

We are pleased that overall you enjoy your stays with us and find it a comfortable hotel for business travel.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was my third stay at the Gateway Inn and it continued to meet expectations.
The check in staff were excellent and very friendly.
Stayed in a spa suite this time, well laid out, with plenty of room to move around. Bathroom was well appointed with quality amenities.
Large comfortable bed, everything was clean and worked first time.
Had a meal in the club and the restaurant on the 6th floor. Fabulous quality at both establishments in terms of food and service level.

Room Tip: If you are comparing this hotel to the executive Inn. Gateway Inn is 90% better. The staff are much...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our property continues to meet your expectations. On your next stay if you have time experience our all new menu at Figtree Restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room but the bed was as hard as a board. Still suffering from it! If your looking at a spa room be aware the spa (bath tub) is tiny! We must have had some type of vent above our room so when it started raining through the night all you could hear was very loud raindrops on tin. Very annoying! I wouldn't stay again because of the bed which is a shame!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are pleased that you thought the Gateway Inn was beautiful. However, we are concerned that you found the bed uncomfortable. Our feedback is always very positive about our beds and especially our pillows. At the Gateway Inn we strive to exceed our guests expectations.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 stayed here for 1 night based purely on price. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised with the size of 1 bedroom apartment. Clean and comfortable, we were on the 5th floor on a Thursday night and had no issues with noise. We were missing 2 towels with reception delivering within minutes. Due to time restrictions we did not utilise the club or its facilities. Free parking an added bonus!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are pleased that you and your family were pleasantly surprised with our rooms and facilities.

Hopefully on your next stay you can utilise more of our on site facilities. The Balance Health Club offers group fitness classes and also has a creche for the children to be entertained.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The first thing you notice when you enter the hotel is the overwhelmingly strong smell of the airconditioning. So strong it nearly made me vomit. The building is hermetically sealed and so has no fresh air. A change of rooms did not make a difference. I felt ill the whole evening. Apart from this the hotel is nice.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends