“A delightful stay!”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Newcastle, Australia
“A delightful stay!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel rooms are very modern, clean and spacious. Our bathroom featured a double headed shower which was a nice surprise. The king size bed was very comfy and we slept well each night as the rooms were very quiet despite being close to industrial drive. The television in our room was faulty and after reporting this to the staff on the second morning we returned home that evening to a brand new TV as well as access to the adjoining apartment for use of the lounge room and TV. The staff were excellent and even phoned me after checking out and leaving behind a greeting card that had money in it! The hotel has secured parking and is next door to West's Leagues which features many dining options. If you want to treat yourself, venture up to level 6 of the hotel to Figtree Churrasco for amazing Brazilian delights!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pollywally001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a great stay here recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find the rooms spacious and well-appointed. The twin-head shower was fabulous too, especially after a long hard gym session at the neighbouring fitness centre. Staff were pleasant, and the room service we ordered came within ten minutes. Would certainly recommend to others and will stay there next time we're in Newcastle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffiney G
Wamberal
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a 1 bedroom apartment, price very reasonable and consisted of a bedroom and good size kitchen/ lounge room. Well equipped with an adequate kitchen and cooking facilities, only a bar size fridge - but there are two of them ( one in each room). Unit was quiet and comfortable. The ensuite facilities are excellent and the bed was very comfortable and large. Air conditioning worked well for us. However the warnings regarding the possibility activating the smoke alarm when cooking caused us some concern ? is it safe to use the toaster - we did without incident but with some anxiety.
The Inn is also in close proximity to the Wests club - if you need these facilities. Check in was easy however I do object to having a $200 deposit taken out of my credit card to be refunded in 2 weeks. An impression of the card should be sufficient!

1 Thank Fr246
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked this hotel as a middle stay in the middle of our honeymoon to stay near Newcastle for a night. On arriving the hotel looked great, very clean, friendly staff and well presented. The room looked great too. Photo attached. When we were checking into our room the people next door had two children that screamed at the top of their lungs, you know, that really high pitched scream only a child can make. We checked into our room then went out shopping. When we returned we went up to the Brazillian restaurant upstairs and it was amazing. Five stars all the way! AMAZING food!

When we returned back to our hotel room the room was freezing. If we put the Aircon on 24c we sweated, on 23c we froze. They need to get that sorted out. The main problem was the ultra thin walls and the adjoining door in every single room. The two little kids next door were up late crying and then up early crying at 5am onwards. We reported this to reception who said they could do nothing about this. It was a "design" fault in the hotel. The kids could have been right next to us in the same room it was that loud.

If you are after a really quiet room and a couple getaway i don't recommend this hotel as the walls are way too thin and the noise travels like its amplified.I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and this is the first time I have ever put up a negative comment about a hotel and this is the first time I have ever experienced this. We booked a quiet room as per the booking form (ticked box). The hotel promised to call to discuss Monday afternoon.

So today (Monday) the hotel returned our call much to their credit. I spoke to Rebecca the manager there. As a small business owner I always try and please my customers. If I think my customer has a reasonable request or suggestion then I listen to it and I put it into place.

Rebecca said there is no way that they can "discriminate" against people with very wall children by putting them into another section of the hotel. I suggested that maybe they have a section of the hotel for people like us that are on their honeymoon and want some quiet time undisturbed.

This suggestion was met with a chuckle from Rebecca and she started to tell me that she had been doing this work for 20 years and has never heard that suggestion before. You know that kind of person thats been doing the job for so long and are so set in their ways that they can't ever change or take on new ideas of suggestions. I thought a separate section of the hotel where couples could stay (even allocate six or 8 rooms up one end of the wing) was a good suggestion. When I made the suggestion by Rebecca's tone I could tell she had already brushed it off.

What do you think? If you were going away for a quiet romantic weekend together would you be upset if the hotel had a quiet spot separate for you away from any noise or disturbances? It sounds like a good idea to me but to Rebecca she laughed it off and said she would take it onboard (but in that voice that really says 'yeah whatever').

We first went down at 7am and the person on the front desk 'Will' said there was nothing he could do about it. We had been awake since 5am listening to the kids scream and cry literally a couple of metres away from us with paper thin walls. It was loud enough to wake us up. We reported it when we realised that it was not going to stop. When Will said he could do nothing about it we checked out around 7:30am Sunday morning.

At no time did I ask for any freebies or refund. I was after some kind of assurance that the hotel would take this complaint seriously and try and do something about it. Instead Rebecca laughed it off when i suggested the separate area for couples, not a full on laugh, you know just that laugh when your talking and your trying to sound serious.

The Gateway Inn advertise several Couples packages.

A great honeymoon with screaming kids next door all night. If they advertise it they should be able to deliver it and these things should not happen.

What really gets me here is the fact that Rebecca the hotel manager really just doesn't seem to care. Rebecca called me back because she had too. At no time did I feel she was empathetic to our situation. It felt like more trouble talking to us than actually trying to at least see it from our point of view. If that was one of my customers I would take the feedback onboard and do something about it.

All I wanted was some kind of genuine assurance they would genuinely look at this situation. Nothing more.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you are a light sleeper. With all the adjoining doors the sound radiates thr...
5 Thank Jason C
TheWestsGroup, Public Relations Manager at The Gateway Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you Jason C for your feedback. Overall we are glad that you were happy with the quality of the room and your experience at our restaurant. We appreciate all our customer feedback. We would have been happy to accommodate this if the concern was raised with a phone call to reception earlier to make sure your stay lived up to your expectations. We hope you enjoy the rest of your adventures on your honeymoon. The Gateway Inn
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Gateway Inn and were really impressed. Upon check in the staff were really friendly and helpful. The rooms were just beautiful, and I particularly liked the little day bed and the double shower. There was the Wests club attached to the motel which was perfect as we didn't arrive until late so the decision was made easy for us as to where to eat and it was a beautiful meal. Very quiet and not far out of Newcastle city so we could have breakfast there in the morning. We were thinking of staying in the city, but seriously don't look past this motel as it is not that far out and really good. Would recommend this motel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pick the room with the little day bed and the double shower.
2 Thank Jenny854
Sydney
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I needed a clean, modern, conveniently located hotel that was moderately priced - The Gateway Inn ticked all the boxes.
Staff are both friendly and helpful and rooms are spacious.
For those travelling with families, I would recommend the 1 bedroom apartment as it offers two adjoining rooms at a very reasonable price if you are booking in advance.
Only issues I had were the air conditioning, which was fixed promptly by reception and the lack of accessible power points next to the bed - something that I personally have come to need with the use of my iphone as an alarm.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend The Gateway Inn as a great option when visiting Newcastle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 5dz
charlotte2571
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I booked for two nights and could only stay one due to work commitments. I was unable to get a refund on the second night. Then my room was clean and the bed was comfortable The shower was large . But the rooms have very thin walls a and you hear the drunks in the next room . Yelling and screaming till late hours of the night. I call reception twice they got security up to the room. I checked out the next morning I received a I'm sorry from the front desk. But nothing else . I wont be staying again . This incident ruined my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo