“Old style comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 29 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Old style comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed overnight here in a family emergency, was pleasantly surprised. The outside is needing a makeover but the rooms are spotlessly clean, and neat. The bathroom was well maintained and had body wash and shampoo in dispensers in the shower itself. A nice touch. Towels were fluffy and soft. Bed was a little hard but after a long drive I slept very well. Quiet, lots of parking outside your room. The owner was very happy to provide any service needed and there is a eatery within the grounds. I did eat elsewhere which I will also rate. Good stay, would happily return for another visit there if needed. Air conditioned and ceiling fan. TV, free cable. Free WiFi. Excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

After receiving a warm & friendly telephone reception, I decided to take my 9 year old fostered grandson to Newcastle for the weekend. He had always asked to go there. To make it more exciting for him, I told him we would travel by train & have a relaxing & fun time away. He has undergone huge traumas lately & suffers from anxiety & ADHD.
Lachlan has a mini ipad. He was sitting on the ground outside reception but not blocking access for any guests or the husband & wife owners. He was trying to access wifi from the motel. The motel advertises free wifi but on asking was told it was very difficult to access.
The owner approached my grandson and very rudely told him to "buzz off!". Lachlan has autism & has some difficulty processing instructions or reading body language. When he didn't move straight away, the owner became nasty & threatening. Lachlan reacted by shouting & started to use the "f" word but stopped. (This is a typical reaction from Asperger children on the autism spectrum.
The owner literally glared at Lachlan & myself & said he would have us evicted & call the police.
Lachlan was very upset & became very agitated expressing a desire to leave & go home, repeatedly saying he didn't like this man or this motel.
I persuaded him to stay because we had paid the bill already.
The motel was extremely small with a second rate TV with poor reception. It also advertised a bbq area which turned out to be a rusty disused bbq full of weeds & rubbish.
All in all it was a very bad experience but disappointing for myself & my grandson.
I did try to explain to the owner (when Lachlan wasn't in earshot) about Lachlan's condition but he just glared at me & started to abuse me again.
I spoke calmly to him but was shocked at such a lack of respect & compassion for a child & guests.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 15molly
woywoy123, Manager at Sovereign Inn Newcastle, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for your review. As you mentioned we did spend a lot of time on the phone in regards to your booking and we were very happy to assist with advice as to where you could take your grandson. You did mention it was going to be a very special time for him and you were looking forward to the visit. When he began screaming outside the reception area, we assumed something was wrong and came outside to assist (as we would do for any guest). Even had we been aware that your foster grandson had autism, we still would have come out as other guests in the motel were being disturbed for a long period of time. I am sorry that you felt we lacked respect and compassion . We do pride ourselves on the relationships we build with our guests. Our motel is used by many that have to attend the local hospitals. Unfortunately a vast number of these people are very ill and we do all in our power to assist them. The cards and flowers we receive after they have left us - tell the story.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Rooms were clean and comfy, service was excellent. Garry and Barbara are great, very friendly and the personal service they provide makes your stay that much more pleasant. I would highly recommend Sovereign Inn Newcastle to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Best tip I would give is to speak directly with the owners and let them know what you are looking fo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Griffith, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Service was the worst i have ever come across, I asked for a simple direction/address of a local store and the owner said she had no idea and made no attempt to help me. We were given a list of rules on check-in, which if we knew prior would not have booked to stay there, overall a very bad experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank julia s
Sydney NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We had to attend a wedding in Newcastle and booked four rooms. The Owners are very nice, and hospitable. I liked the liquid soap dispenser near the bathroom sink and over the bath - less messy than soap. Air -con was older style and noisy, so we were glad we only used them to warm the room, as there was an electric blanket on the bed. Hamburger shop across the road, and 5 min. drive to main shopping centre. Only complaints were that the main lighting was very bad, and the pillows were hard. Good overnight stop-over.

Room Tip: In winter, ask if you can have the rooms that get the afternoon sun, as the rooms at the back of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sovereign14, Owner at Sovereign Inn Newcastle, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for your review. We will certainly take a look at the pillows in the room and the air-conditioner. Our central location is certainly a bonus for guests. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Owner
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I travelled to this hotel with a social group, so I cant comment on the booking process or the cost. This hotel looks very basic and for the most part is, but you wouldn't be expecting 5 star luxury. the room size is reasonably large wtih a double bed and table with two chairs without feeling cramped or cluttered. I found the shower screen a little strange( it opened inwards) but the bathroom was practical and most importantly clean. Now for my not so greeat points, Dinner in the restaurant was disapointing, the bread roll looked like a packet one form woolworths and came out undercooked. the meat in the main course also seemed undercooked and the veggies were still hard, the veggies also looked like they had been taken from a packet and served up. In the room my only gripes are, one of the lights above the bed didn't work ( very minor problem) and the bed was way to hard for me ( even though I like a hard matress) . So in all i would recomend this hotel for anyone passing through newcastle or to anyone looking for a clean and basic room for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends