“There is a Worse Place to Stay in Newcastle - Adeena on the Wharf”
Review of Adeena on King

Adeena on King
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Adeena on King
Reviewed 25 February 2011

There is an even worse place to stay in Newcastle other than Adeena on King. That place is called Adeena on the Wharf (should be named Adeena on the Tracks). Both are owned and managed by Newcastle Executive Apartments (NEA for short), along with several others. Let me explain further!
Firstly, do not trust your booking even if you have it confirmed in writing.The owner,Tony, will ensure he uses you as his pawn in an ongoing legal dispute. My booking was made through check-in.com.au and I must stress I have no problem with this booking agency. The saga started when NEA contacted me to confirm my booking a few days before arriving. I stated I already had my confirmation and asked why they were ringing me. They explained they were just checking my details. Why? The first warning sign came when I was told that the address of my booking (No.4 Honeysuckle) did not exist and that I would be staying at a No.14 instead. Not being from Newcastle I asked to speak to a manager to resolve this isssue. Enter Amy.
Amy confirmed that indeed No.4 did exist but that they had changed my booking to No.14. After querying this decision for some time I asked Amy which apartment complex would she stay in if she were in my position. Based on her reply I agreed to No.14. Silly me.
On arrival I went through the process of getting into the apartment. Enter Tony. He appears after a phone call and directs me to the garage for parking and hands me the swipe cards for both the garage and the apartment. He then casually mentions he is in a legal dispute with another party within the complex, namely Chifley Apartments. Now at this point I must stress that I have no dispute with Chifley or its management. I was informed that because of this legal issue my wife and I are to enter and exit via the garage and are not allowed to use the front door or foyer. What a welcome!
I must admit that Tony was polite but never apologetic about this situation. Not his style as I found out later. After complaining to him about this arrangement he delivered a swipe card to our apartmant with strict instructions about the non use of the foyer.
To Tony's credit he did put in a call to his office to see if we could be moved to another location. It came to nothing.
Now for the apartment. My wife and I were given APT. 701. It is on the top floor and very modern. The view I was promised did exist - if you hang yourself off the balcony and crane your neck. Other than that we were greeted with the train tracks and a vacant lot. Thanks Amy!
Tony's reply to the view was that it did exist and if I wanted harbour views I should have booked the Crowne Plaza at triple the rate. Tony was correct on that point but the rate would have been closer to double his rate.
The apartment was in good condition but for a torn screen and a few marks on the walls and glass sliding partition. When later mentioning this to Tony,he stated over the phone that he "would throw a few punches my way".
Now for the best part! My wife and I had two sleepless nights due to the train activity and the nearby clock tower (on the hour every hour). As a consequence of this we had to take the Monday off work just to recover.
Conclusion. If you need to stay in this location book with Chifley Apartments. They have apartments away from the tracks and will look after you far better then Tony and Co.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank krip2nite

Reviewed 30 September 2010

we had to go to newcastle for a wedding and a group of us (5 couples) booked affordable apartments with this mob 2 months in advance.

a month out, my wife decided to confirm the booking only to learn that they had double booked one of our apartments. their resolution was agreeable - an upgrade to the adeena rooms at the same price.

when we arrived in newcastle, the first 3 couples checked in successfully, however before the last 2 could make it, the self proclaimed big cheese of Newcastle Executive Apartments, Tony, had decided that we were getting too good a deal for his liking.

even though we had booked and confirmed these rooms a month in advance Tony decided that the last 2 couples were not going to get what his company had offered us, and all this a few hours prior to the wedding.

his initial counter-offer was that he would put the 2 remaining couples in the same room (which apparently had a sofa bed) and kindly not increase the overall price.

you might want to re-read that.

his solution was to refuse us a room that we had booked and confirmed a month in advance, and double the price of another room we had also confirmed.

at this point i decided to speak with tony directly and we soon entered into a heated debate regarding business ethics etc. tony stated the following points:

1. he was the owner and therefore would not be overruled
2. the 'mistake' of our booking was the fault of a junior staff member and therefore he had no responsibility to uphold the agreement
3. he would not offer us the 5th room we had booked for any price as he'd already given it to someone else

after some time of disagreement he hung up on me and then would not return my calls.

later, unknown to me, he contacted the remaining 2 couples directly and instructed them to go to a different address. he had arranged for them to go into a different hotel which had a 2 bdr apartment. this was an improvement on the sofa bed idea and would have been agreeable if offered at the outset, however these 2 couples were already running late for a wedding and had to drive all over newcastle finding appropriate keys in unmarked letterboxes before finally getting into their accomodation about an hour before the start of the wedding.

at the wedding we learnt that a similar thing had happened to the grooms sister and her family.

please don't give this turkey any business.

ps the 'heated' pool was pretty bloody cold.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
25  Thank Paul S
ZoeRead010, Manager at Adeena on King, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear Guest,
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Because trip advisor does not notify an accommodation company when a review has been made or even if they have Involuntarily signed up on. I had no way of discussing / knowing if a previous guest has made a comment.
I appreciate the feedback and i have certainly drawn emphasis on the importance customer service in the recent months.
I apologise for your negative experience.
Kind regards -
Zoe Read

Reviewed 21 June 2010

I booked with this company - Jesmond - for an apartment in December 2009. Travelling with my partner and 2 year old child, we arrived at our booked apartment (Adeena on King) only to find no way in. Phoned the manager, who said that we had been changed to another apartment. Despite having our contact details, we had not been told this. They didn't bother to leave a note at our booked accommodation to tell us what to do. I asked nicely if they would book and pay for a taxi to take us to the new accommodation - the manager (who told me he was a lawyer) really spat the dummy at this.

I've found Australians to be generally friendly and reliable but this company is useless - do not book with them.

The new accommodation was actually closer to my conference but was dirty, the aircon didn't work, and had bed linen which didn't seem to have been changed in months.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business