“Mum's birthday fail..”

VietKing Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #112 of 558 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Mum's birthday fail..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is quite expensive for Vietnamese and the price does not represent the quality of the food. The servings are TINY and the flavours and marinades taste like they've come out of a jar. They also compensate the lack of meat in the dishes with loads and loads of barely cooked onion in chunks.
The wait staff were pleasant, although one stood on my foot every time she served us a dish and the other repeatedly elbowed me whilst serving and collecting plates. They were both rushing and kept knocking over glasses and dropping things on our table but there was no reason to rush as we were one of only four tables.
Do not expect miracles from VietKing. In fact, expect to leave hungry and disappointed.

2 Thank Aamane

Hong Kong, China
“Poor service; Poor food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Cannot believe that a Vietnamese restaurant can be this poor, yet charge such high prices!

Lots of staff available and the restaurant was far from busy. Yet we waited an hour for our mains after one person was served their TINY soup entree. Of our 8 diners, half of us would have like to have ordered Pho... which is not available for dinner... is this crazy?!?

After asking several times and once requesting we speak to a manager, we were served our mains. Food was good, not excellent, esp for the high prices.

At the end of the meal and receiving our bill, we were charged for 2 serves of boiled rice, when none was ordered, then after questioning it were told we must go to the register area to speak to the manager. Upon speaking civilly to the manager regarding our dissatisfaction, he told me that we were racist and did not respect the Asian culture - I was standing with my Asian husband, asking in disbelief that he truly believed I, or any of my party could truly be racist?!?! I have lived in Hong Kong for the past 10 years, my husband is Korean and my cousin, who he claimed had "yelled" at him, has travelled extensively around Asia.

The floor staff had little experience in customer relations, the manager has a huge chip on his shoulder and the food, though palatable, was way over priced for what it was and where it was!

Will travel to Vietnam for fabulous service and food next time!!!

• Visited July 2014
New South Wales, Australia
“Average pho”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

When you advertise that you have great pho then you need to live up tho the expectation. The vegetarian crepes were pretty good, but just let down by their signature pho dish.

Visited June 2014
Newcastle, Australia
“Crispy pancakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The restaurant is located in Darby St's busy strip where there is a great deal of choice so a restaurant has to be good to do well. Luckily, this is the case with VietKing and it's a good idea to book on Friday and Saturday nights. The décor is pleasant, service friendly and the meals standard, nice food except for the crispy pancake which is FABULOUS! I was dining with a group of friends and their meals were fine but my crispy pancake (vegetarian version) was the best, so much so that we returned the next night and all had it!

• Visited May 2014
“Can't wait to go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We went to Newcastle for the weekend and this restaurant was within 100 metres of our accommodation. What a stroke of luck that was. Fantastic service and fresh, flavour packed food. We had to come back for lunch the next day. The Pho was hands down the best I or my wife had experienced. Thanks Vietking. See you again.