“1 week, still no dishwasher”

Honeysuckle Executive Apartments
Reviewed 4 August 2014

So far we have been in an apartment for 1 week out of 4 weeks booked, Nowhere near enough soap/ toilet paper/ detergent to last between weekly servicing. They still haven't fixed the dishwasher that hasn't worked since we arrived. They just keep saying 'we contract out the maintenance to fisher and paykel so we can't do anything to speed up the service'! No offer to call another repairer, no offer to move or upgrade to another room. The apartments are in the chifley but the chifley staff just have to call a receptionist somewhere else and can't do anything. Seriously avoid this place, we are considering leaving 3 weeks early.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Austin11111

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The room was not clean, looked like it had not been dusted or vacuumed in weeks. Spiders and cobwebs on the balcony prevented us from using. Only one bedside table and very cramped in the room getting from one side of the bed to the other. The balcony door did not close and lock. Horrendous noise coming from what appeared to be the roof area all night. Had to request fresh towels.Very expensive for a well below average hotel. Would not return.
Staff were nice and helpful. Good location near lots of restaurants and pubs.
Apparently this hotel is also connected with Chifley apartments.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay in Newcastle
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol R
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Thick dust all around edges of rooms and behind doors, and on furniture, kids hand prints on kitchen window, Holland blind rolled wrong way stopping access to balcony. King size bed in bedroom made it nearly impossible to walk around and only one bedside table and lamp. Lack of shelving in bathroom for cosmetics as only basin no vanity. All in all not a good experience especially after our stay at Easter at the Crown Plaza which was great.

Room Tip: Go to Crown Plaza
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gail M
Allison H, Guest Relations Manager at Honeysuckle Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2014

Housekeeping has been spoken to regarding your complaint.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Was a great location for us as we went to a concert at the Civic Theatre in Hunter Street a 5 min walk. Eateries close by. Room was spacious and clean. The bedroom was on the small side but the bed was comfortable. The Reception staff were friendly and very helpful. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue C

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

First Time in this city, this place is well located next to some very good restaurants & a beautiful bay side bar.. The breakfast was very basic & minimum but just ok to keep you on the go...
Would love to stay again sometime..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dhods79
Reception-AllisonH, Guest Relations Manager at Honeysuckle Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed with my family for a quick pitstop on our way further north. I had provided feedback to the apartments but haven't heard from them so I can only guess they don't take customer concerns that seriously. We arrived around 7:30pm and found reception staff quite friendly. The room itself was quite spacious and had sufficient amenties.

The main drawback for me was the lack of cleanliness of the apartment - I opened the fridge to find a massive hair hanging off the shelf, and food crusted onto the shelves. The fridge door also had food stuck on it. Opening the cupboard to get a glass I found many of the glasses still wet, stored rim-side down, as if they had been simply rinsed and put back. This was rather off-putting and I felt I needed to wash each glass we used. The washing machine had hair all over it and overall I didn't feel comfortable staying there - if things I could see weren't cleaned properly, how clean were the sheets, sofas etc? The dining chairs were also very shabby and worn, giving it a rather run-down appearance. If these things were taken care of it wouldn't be a bad place to stay however in its current state I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mich Z
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very nice area and close to everything. The hotel however was a different story. I booked an apartment which gave me the impression on the internet site that it could take up to 4 guests which I paid for. 1 king size bed and a sofa bed which was no problem and no mention of cost of parking. 2 days before I was to arrive, I get a phone call saying that a sofa bed was going to cost extra $30 a night and parking is a further $19 a night. If I knew this at the booking stage, I would have looked elsewhere. Another thing is when you say a king size bed, that is what I expect, not 2 single beds side by side to make it look like a king size bed. Also in regards to the gym, there is quite a few pieces of equipment there but you could only use maybe 2 or 3. The pins were missing for the pin loaded machines, the dumbells were locked away, bars were missing. This was the other reason I booked this hotel so I could use the gym. I know I will probably receive a reply to this however it is not good enough, especially claiming you are a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Morgan D
Reception-AllisonH, Guest Relations Manager at Honeysuckle Executive Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
I would have to know how you booked in order to correctly answer the first part of your post. If you booked with us directly you would definately have been advised of the extra guest rate and parking rates. Most of the 3rd party online travel agents should also have this information however sometimes it is misinterpreted. It often states that the room is able to sleep four people, however the price quoted on a 1 Bedroom Apartment is always just for 2 people. I think you will find this is standard practice amongst all hotel booking websites.
Most of the hotels in Newcastle and worldwide use zipped king beds. It is not 2 beds side by side, the matress actually zips together to form a king size bed. This is so hotels can cater for guests that require 2 x single beds or 1 king.
Our gym is not supervised 24 hours so due to health and safety laws unless an instructer is present we do not allow the heavier weight machines to be used. There are still the cardio machines such as bikes, running manchines and cross trainers as well as free weights that can be used at all times.
We are sorry that your expectations were not met, however we do not believe that we did anything wrong to warrant your low rating.