“Cockroaches and bad customer service”

Chifley Executive Suites
Brisbane, Australia
“Cockroaches and bad customer service”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed for one night. Returned to the room late at night to see cockroaches crawling around the room - see picture - Receptionist told me that the adjacent room had been sprayed the day before and that could be a reason. I was offered $20 off a room that cost $205 which was an insult given that we had a terrible night. The Manager was rude and insisted on talking over me when I tried to explain my problem. Even had the audacity to tell me that we live in Australia! I complained by email to the head office. They passed my complaint back to the same manager. I chased up after 2 weeks of no response and I received the following "Thank you for your feedback, the issues you mentioned have been addressed." I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CampaignForGoodFood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Again I accompanied my husband on a business trip and again we requested and were given Room 308. We spent 5 terrific nights here and will definitely stay again. The front desk staff are very helpful and friendly. As these are apartments and not a hotel, the room isn't serviced every day and that's how we like it. With the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door, we were left alone. When we requested extra towels or toiletries... no problem, the front desk obliged. I make my own bed and wash up and tidy the room, so it's just like a home away from home! The apartment is comfortable, spacious and clean and has all modern conveniences. The apartments are in the ideal location for exploring Newcastle. Once the car is parked in the underground garage, it didn't leave again until 6 days later when we checked out. Cafes, restaurants, cinema and tourist attractions are all within walking distance. Newcastle train station is opposite and the bus stops right outside to take you further afield to say, Charlestown Square (30 mins) for excellent shopping. We got a really good deal for the 5 nights considering it was in holiday season. We would definitely recommend the Chifley Executive Suites!

Room Tip: Room 308 has a balcony with interrupted views of the harbour and is quieter due to being on the side...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom / one bathroom apartment (Room 409). The room was smaller than we had expected. The main living/dining/kitchen area was crammed into a very small space, it was nice to have a balcony to escape to when the air conditioning stopped working numerous times throughout the evening (The janitor had come to the room twice to try and fix it and the third time it stopped at midnight we just let it go).
Room size and stuffiness aside, what we found most disappointing about our stay was the surly reception staff the next day. As we departed we advised the receptionist that our air-conditioning had stopped working three times the night before and that one of our swipe cards had not worked (two of us had to rely on other guests to let us in numerous times on Saturday evening). We handed over the card and they checked it. Instead of responding to the issues raised the receptionist dismissed both issues off hand and proceeded to ask if we needed to pay any additional money for parking, mini bar etc. After a very uncomfortable evening we had all expected better customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Clare_lovestotravel

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Saguenay, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I was expecting better from this hotel. Well located in the center of Newcastle, it is easy to access the business area, Nobbys Beach, many restaurant. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was rather new but the furniture was of low quality, not confortable. The kitchen equipment was partial, like no coffee maker ( I do not drink instant coffee). Good TV with Foxtel though.

Internet is not included and supplied through a 3rd party. Mine stopped after 2 days and was enable to get to work again.

Room Tip: Facing the port if you want a view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Needing a 2 bedroom apartment for a weekend wasn't easy to find in Newcastle, so this was the only choice. At $249 a night, I thought it was good value, however once in the room I'm thinking $150-$175 would be more inline with what we stayed in.

It's new, it's clean, but pretty tiny. For four people you could say the balcony was the biggest space, as the main lounge/dining/kitchen is crammed into the space of a bedroom. No ensuite, a strange bathroom door that doesn't fully close; and even more strange is that they offer twin basins. Pictures of the one bedroom suites look much bigger.

The location is pretty good and admittedly the staff were friendly, but I'd pitch this more towards the one bedroom business trip kind of clientele.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at CES Newcastle in room 102 on 30/11/13 Saturday.

Checking in and room was fine and staff was really helpful so no complaints there. However, when we tried to sleep in the room, we have realised there was constant ticking/popping noise coming from somewhere in the building which drove me and my wife crazy all night. Noise is very audible every 1-3 minute intervals and I am sure if you go to that room at night you can hear this. Sleep quality was awful.

In the morning we complained about this to the front reception and staff's response was "Its good to know thanks" and she did not take any further action which was disappointing.

Room Tip: dont go near 102 or around rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jahnnie
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment over the weekend and we were very impressed. Great location and facilities, clean room and comfortable beds. Car park is quite tight but lots of available spaces. Was a pity we couldn't have a late check out due to room being booked but was offered to extend our car park availability for the day - very helpful reception staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family