“Some of the rooms are probably quite nice...”

Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 16 September 2013

...but not the one I was in. Stayed on business and was put into a family room which was crowded with furniture. Dark decor and low lighting made for a dingy feel and the there was a restricting device on the balcony door to prevent opening because the balconies had been recently surveyed and deemed unsafe. Heavy bedspreads and ornamental cushions which had to be stripped from the bed before sleeping left the already crowded room feeling cluttered. Final gripe- there was no convenient desk to work at and so overall not very impressed as a business traveller.

To give some balance though, the standard of furnishings and cleanliness was high so I imagine if you have non-family room with less furniture in it and a sea view, once they get the balconies sorted it would probably be a very pleasant experience. There is plenty of free parking in the basement and the place is well located for walks/runs along the beach or going out for dinner. Although the in-house restaurant is actually rather good too.

Room Tip: Some of the non-sea view rooms have fairly unpleasant views of car parks, housing etc. But i think t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Del R
NoahsGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at NOAH'S. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay but sorry to hear that you were not able to stay in a queen or twin room with a desk. We are committed to ongoing improvement and hope to see you again soon! Sincerely GM

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I checked in and found myself in a dark dingy room with three beds and little else. When I called reception to ask how I was expected to plug in my computer and work in the room the response was - "that's the room the Company booked". A minute or two later, after I asked to speak to the manager, the receptionist advised that she had "made an error" and would move me.

My second room was overlooked the ocean and had a door that opened to allow fresh air in. It was a little tired but pretty good.

My seafood laksa in the restaurant was excellent (as was the restaurant service) and I attended a function and the service at the event was also excellent.

The hotel would have rated better had it not been for the first experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AussieStrategist

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. I apologise for the inconvenience at the beginning of your stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed dining in our restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely NOAHS GM

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed with my daughter. The rooms are a little dated but are clean. The location is excellent & service good. For the price it's a good place to stay. We hired a room with a view of the harbour. For dinner we walked to Darby street which took about 20mins & is full of cafes, resturants & bars. I would stay again

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely NOAHS GM

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

I booked through an online booking service to stay 1 night at this place. I got seriously ill the night before we were travelling. My wife called from the hospital to cancel the booking for that night. The person on the phone kept repeating that we could not cancel the booking. I'm not sure what that meant, but I suspect that the person was trying to say we could not get a refund. We did not ask for a refund.
I subsequently wrote to the hotel requesting a refund on medical grounds. They never responded. I was told by another hotel that i needed to contact the online booking service to arrange a refund. I did this and was given a refund by everyone but Noah's. Noah's told the booking agent that we had never contacted them to cancel the booking. This is a lie.
I will never stay there again.

Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank DTCanberra
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is a shabby hotel which is very overdue for a complete renovation. The room was dark and smelly. There are renovations going on in the hotel. Not possible to relax during the day. Requested a room with harbour views and received one on the opposite side of the building. Awful place and very overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank WorkingMumCanberra
NoahsGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thankyou for your feedback and I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at the hotel. We are committed to ongoing improvement and have had some renovations taking place recently, I apologise for their impact on your stay. Yours sincerely

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at Noah's but second time eating in their restaurant.

The rooms are cosy...the decor a little out dated. I'm not a fan of showers in bathtubs and found this a little annoying as the shower curtain sticks to you while showering. The shower head was a little low. Luckily I'm short but my partner had some trouble getting under the water.

The dinner menu was fabulous with a lot of variety. Everyone in our group enjoyed their meals immensely. The staff are very professional and attentive and what I would expect at a restaurant of this quality. Our wine glasses were never empty.

I highly recommend the cocktail menu and have discovered my new favourite cocktail...Polar Cap.

The buffet breakfast was well set out with a large variety of food. The choice of having poached or fried eggs freshly cooked for you was a wonderful surprise. There was also scrambled & benedict from the buffet.

• Stayed: August 2013
NoahsGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our Restaurant is very popular so please make sure you make a reservation to dine when you book your accommodation next time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My fiance' and i stayed here for a night, the room was nice and cosy and very homely, we had great service, we sadly missed out on the chance to dine at the restaurant as it was completely booked out, so we dined at a local pizza place which was nice, we stayed in a town view room but next time we will stay in the ocean view, the breakfast was lovely and we even saw whales out at sea, will be back for sure in the near future, loved our stay!

Room Tip: ocean view looks great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie B
NoahsGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We are regularly spotting whales and dolphins from the restaurant and ocean view rooms. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to NOAH'S soon.