“Not great value”

Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I went to Noahs on the Beach for our wedding anniversary as we could not find any other nice restaurants open on a Monday in Hunter Valley. When we arrived, a vocal party of 12 or so was the other tables taken and they insisted we be placed next to them. I would have thought a neat well presented couple might placed somewhere a little quieter. We consoled ourselves with the view of the beach as conversation was difficult.
The entrees arrived promptly and were rather nice. The oysters with Salmon were well done as was the Sour dough bread. The mains were a major disappointment though. The lamb I had was 2 miniscule cutlets, with 20 cent piece sized portions of edible meat and a few small vegetables. It was not very well cooked and for $40 should have been an entrée for a pub counter meal. My wifes seafood tasting plate was of adequate size, but not very well cooked, being mostly underdone and not very well presented. Once again, it appeared to be more of a $15 pub counter meal.
After waiting for a long time waiting for wine refills, my wife and I decided to skip desert and head off to complete our lunch date with desert and coffee in a Hunter Valley winery restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NoahsMgr, Public Relations Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Rod D,
We are sorry you were disappointed in your experience in our restaurant, your comments will be taken seriously as we are committed to ongoing improvement. I hope you choose to visit us again in the future.
Best regards Jake, Sales & Marketing

There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Last stayed here many years ago and it looked tied then. They've refurb end it since but frankly it's still looking tied and dated. The rooms are very 90's. Restaurant was lovely with a magic view of the beach. My room also had a marvellous position with views of the ocean. Curiously one could not open the sliding door on to the quite small landing. Be warned though if you're bringing a car, parking is hopeless. I stayed on a Saturday night and there was a wedding function going on, but there was absolutely no parking on site. This alone would preclude me from returning if I was using my own car (which I was on this occasion).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Murray A
NoahsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Murray A, thankyou for your feedback, we are glad to hear the you enjoyed the unique views of the beach from our restaurant and your room. I am sorry that you had difficulty with parking which we provide complimentary to guests. We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Best regards Jake Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stopped unexpectedly at Newcastle and fell in love with the beach. We spotted this hotel and their ocean-facing balconies and decided to spend the night.
Obviously the prices were high, but the wonderful receptionist threw in free breakfast for two.

To our dismay, the sliding doors to the balconies were only allowed to be opened a few inches, I think it was due to some construction/upgrading. But we made do with the lovely ocean sounds and breeze that that meager few inches could allow.There was free wifi in the room as well.

Breakfast here was wonderful. Superb quality and delicious. Having benedict eggs and hollandaise sauce with sausage (or pancakes with whipped cream!) while facing the ocean was wonderful. It was quiet and serene and the host was an absolute delight.

We did not regret staying at this hotel.

Please note that the town closes early so make early dinner plans.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NoahsMgr, Sales & Marketing at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Suzy S
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at NOAH’S and enjoyed your breakfast in our restaurant. We look forward seeing you on your next visit.
Best regards,
Jake
Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was on the beach. That was the highlight. From the rubbishy and cramped carpark, to the disinterested reception and the room itself was just plain substandard. It was no cheap room either. We paid twice as much for this room as we did for a beautiful river front room in Port Macquarie. I guess at some point, you just give up doing a good job and cater to miners travelling on the company tip. You guys will like the location and your experience will tell you where to go for food and entertainment. But, if you are bringing your wife for a romantic getaway, skip this dump and take her to one the excellent local B&Bs. That's the best advice I ever gave anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NoahsMgr, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear GTVV
I am sorry that you were disappointed in your recent stay at NOAH’S. We are committed to ongoing improvement at the hotel, we are an older property but enjoy a high level of return visitation and are very proud of our cleanliness and service. We have been undertaking repairs to our carparking over the past couple of weeks, I hope these did not inconvenience you? All comments received are taken very seriously by the hotel and I would really appreciate knowing the dates of your stay. Please call GM Deb at your convenience. Yours sincerely GM Deb.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Located right on the beach with great views, especially at breakfast when you can watch the early morning surfers strutt their stuff. Limited car parking and the places are quite tight - whoever painted the bay lines must have based them on a small hatchback. Rooms are fair for space and the bathrooms are smart and clean. The restaurant is obviously popular but the prices are strong with entrees in the $30 range with mains in the $37-43 range, plus sides at $10. With drinks (the wine list is lengthy and reasonably priced in contrast to the menu) a three course meal is going to be over $100 a person. Internet in the room, once again, is chargeable with 24hr rates but I found my personal internet perfectly fine. Bar fridge prices were fair - small bottle of wine is about $8.50. Usual buffet breakfast at about $28 each - fairly typical these days - nothing special about the fare but there was plenty of it although I would recommend getting in early when there are conference delegates staying. Checkout was swift and efficient but, once again, adjust your timings when there are group bookings and everyone is is checking in/out at the same time. Overall, a pleasant experience and the views are a great way to start the day but if you are on a budget try wandering up the road for meals.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
NoahsMgr, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Matelot2000,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the views at breakfast. Thankyou for your comments, we strive to provide the best service and experiences for our guests. I hope you choose to visit us again in the future.
Yours sincerely Deb GM

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times when I have attended functions. Occasionally I have had a decent room but mostly, like this stay, they were old, tired and dingy.

My room apparently overlooked the bottle disposal area in the carpark. The crash of bottles meant the door couldn’t be left open. Telling the receptionist was met with total disinterest. Her “I’ll tell the manager” sounded like she was used to complaints.

The bathroom had a sink on a pedestal and little space for toiletries. The cupboard had warped timber and flaking paint. The toilet seat was thin cheap plastic - which summed up the room. The alleged harbour view could just be seen over the roofs of adjoining buildings.

The best feature was that it was not too far to walk to some excellent restaurants.

The hotel is in a great location. With experienced owners and well-trained staff it could be good.

2  Thank AussieStrategist
NoahsMgr, General Manager at Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your recent stay at NOAH'S. We are committed to ongoing improvement and all of your comments will be taken seriously. I hope that you choose to visit us again in the future. Your sincerely Deb GM

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This place has three things going for it: the ocean view, a staff member named Reuben and proximity to the train station.

The ocean view is spectactular. Reuben assisted/managed a function I attended and was helpful, courteous, professional and friendly - a real asset to the property. The train station is only a short walk from the property.

Check-in: quite easy and efficient, not really welcoming. Receptionist didn't enquire about whether I'd stayed previously or proffer any information about facilities, amenities or the locality at all - simply took my credit card and gave me a room keycard. Check-out: I checked out at a busy time and the two staff were swamped. They did their best and you can't ask for more than that!

Having stayed here some time ago, I knew what to expect in terms of size and facilities in the rooms. I wasn't prepared for the musty smell and damp atmostphere when I entered my room on the second floor. At the moment it isn't possible to open balcony doors (work is being done on the balconies) and I am certain it would have assisted to freshen the room if I could have opened the balcony door. As it was, I tried to get some air circulating by turning the airconditioner fan up high but it didn't really assist. That aspect was quite off-putting.

My room had all the things I expected it to have but, as other reviewers have said, it is all a bit tired, worn and in need of a refurb - including the now-flattened by use, hard pillows. The room was seriously overcrowded by having both a queen size bed and a single in it - it just isn't big enough. As it was, the armchair had to be jammed in between the desk and cabinet on which the television sat, which meant you sat with your back to the television.

1  Thank macsla255349

Thankyou for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the function that you attended and will pass your comment on to Reuben. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your accommodation. We are committed to ongoing improvement so please always let us know during your stay, if you experience a problem. I hope that you choose to visit us again in the future. Yours sincerely Deb GM