“Excellent”

Coco Monde Chocolateria
Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Newcastle
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We absolutely love coming here! Definitely one of our favorite places to eat in Newcastle :D the food always tastes beautiful and fresh and the kitchen is happy to adjust the menu to suit dietary requirements ie vegetarian, vegan, GF. The atmosphere is great and the service even more so :) there is a massive parking lot just down from the restaurant heading towards hunter street

Visited January 2014

“Really unhappy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Myself and 7 friends had dinner last weekend and were thoroughly disappointed. There was a really long wait for the meals while we watched other customers who came in after us eat and finish their meals around us, one of our meals was totally forgotten and then came out well after everyone else was finished and their plates were taken away.
One of the wait staff seemed to be either not all there or too stoned to be at work as dealing with him was painful to say the least and to top it all off one of the wait staff spilled food all down the front of my jacket (which I purchased from a small boutique in Rome mind you) which was hanging over the back of my chair. I called the restaurant when I got home and found the spill yet was told a manager would call me in the morning, no one called me so by mid afternoon I called back. I spoke to the manager/owner (Im not sure which one he was) and was met with a rather rude "well how do you know it was one of the waiters" to which I responded "because my jacket was hung on the back of my chair and there were not other tables behind me" to this his response was to laugh out loud at me down the phone line, I kid you not! How absolutely rude and offensive and coming from the owner/manager of all people. When I told him I found that really rude he said he was cooking pancakes and that made him laugh...... seriously!
All I expected was an apology first and foremost and an offer to have the coat cleaned and yet he spoke to me like I was asking for it to be replaced. After I had to ask for it to be cleaned I was told to get it cleaned, email him the receipt with my bank details and that he would reimburse me the cost (though he never offered me his email address), however his short and sarcastic tone spoke volumes of "yeah right lady, not gunna happen".
To be honest I just wont bother, I'd rather pay for it to be cleaned myself and just never go back, if anyone asks me about this place I'll tell them to avoid it. People like him should not work in hospitality. Its a shame really when bad staff let down what could have otherwise been a great restaurant.
The food was good and the venue itself is good, its the poor service and bad staff that let this place down. I will never go back!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank DanielleandTony
MJZC, Owner at Coco Monde Chocolateria, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Danielle,
Great that you enjoyed our venue and food, but it is sad to see that you seem to have misinterpreted the way your situation was handled.
Firstly, you mentioned a long wait for the food. It was half an hour, which during peak time dinner service on a Saturday night on Darby St would be considered perfectly reasonable by the vast majority of customers, as it is obvious by looking around the restaurant just how busy it is.
Regarding the waiter, he was a new staff member and your comments about him are actually rather offensive. However, he did indeed make a mistake in failing to enter in one of the meals, which is why that arrived after the others. He did realise his mistake though, and went straight to the owner/manager in charge so that it could be addressed immediately, after which said owner/manager went straight to your table, apologised sincerely and profusely and offered the affected guest a free dessert, which he accepted. And, as a further gesture of how seriously we took this mistake and how genuine the efforts of making it up to him were, he was even given a box of our handcrafted chocolates on the way out, in addition to the free dessert...
In regards to your jacket, we completely understand that you are upset that it got stained, but it really is not fair to automatically assume that a staff member spilt on it, particularly since it wasn't discovered until you were at home, so that it actually isn't known who was responsible or even where it happened. All staff were asked about it as it is something you'd definitely remember doing, but nobody had any knowledge of anything being spilt. Either way, we did offer to pay for it to be cleaned nonetheless.
A note was left about your phone call and the owner/manager in question was indeed going to call you back at the very first opportunity the next day, he even had it ready in his pocket should he get a moment during the very busy Sunday morning breakfast service. When you rang back, he was certainly not laughing at you, just extremely busy cooking for a completely full restaurant. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it is a little difficult responding to a lengthy vent at that time. It does not mean your issue wasn't taken seriously, just that the timing was impossible. As previously said, the note with your details was in the pocket ready to be attended to at the first opportunity...
About the email address, it was of course the Coco Monde business email address, which he should have spelt out to you, but again, he was cooking for a completely full restaurant at the time. The apparently 'short' tone was also a result of this difficult timing. And for the record, the offer of reimbursement was very much genuine. He is sorry he came across as rude, it certainly wasn't his intention, it was just very difficult to discuss this over the phone while cooking for a packed restaurant at the same time. Putting words in his mouth ("yeah right lady" etc) is unreasonable and unnecessary.
Finally, you choose to summarise the response to your situation by labelling the whole establishment as having "poor service and bad staff". An immediate sincere apology followed by free dessert AND a free box of chocolates for a delayed pizza would probably be considered pretty good by most? Yes, a mistake was made and we were both sorry and embarrassed, but we did go to great lengths to address it. And the stained jacket was very unfortunate, but we did offer to fix that too. Lastly on the topic of automatically labelling service and staff as poor, I would like to quote the four most recent reviews before yours:
"Such quick service and friendly staff"
"Service was lovely and prompt"
"Staff are very friendly"
"Service has always been pleasant and efficient"
Your experience and interpretation thereof certainly isn't the norm. In conclusion, we are genuinely sorry for the mistake that was made by the new staff member that served you, and that your jacket somehow got stained. We tried to make it up to you with an apology, free dessert, free chocolates as well as an offer to pay for your jacket to be cleaned. We are truly sorry that this isn't enough for you and we wish you all the very best.
Kindest Regards,
Owner/Manager on behalf of the Coco Monde Team
“Relaxed but picturesque”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Such quick service and friendly staff.
Ordered a share plate for my friend and I, couldn't finish it but all parts were absolutely amazing. Could not fault anything!
Of a night time this place really shines with dimmer lighting and candles throughout, it is truly picturesque.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kayla D
Branxton, Hunter Valley
“Sublime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Cosy, we were there on an overcast wintery day and the place was cosy, off the street seating but with great 'people watching' bay windows. Service was lovely and prompt. Food was delicious, we had meals, frappes and desert, of course!

Visited June 2014
“Pralines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Awesome Pralines, the espresso one is a definite winner. Staff are very friendly, need to go back and try their meals.

• Visited April 2014