“Very Pleasant Stay”

Crowne Plaza Newcastle
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My employer chose this hotel for me and I am very glad they did! With direct access to the harbour boardwalk and many restaurants thereon the location is excellent.

Rooms are very good with a separate bedroom and nicely done bathroom. There is a huge TV in the living room.

Breakfast is very tasty with made to order omelets and waffles as well as a great buffet selection.

Only downside was noise from the street during the night (drunks?).

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I had a street view room, maybe a harbour view room would be quieter?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Erin O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

billichka, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Newcastle! We are glad that you enjoyed your time in Newcastle and were able to experience our excellent location right on the working Newcastle Harbour. I am glad you found our room layout desirable and of course the wide array of food on our breakfast buffet.

Our Harboursides Suites allow for a quieter evening with beautiful views across the Newcastle Harbour. When you return to Newcastle be sure to call our in-house reservations on 024907 5062 for the best rate and rooms available.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a night last weekend. I've always wanted to stay in the heart of Newcastle and explore the surrounds, even though I have a holiday house 20 minutes away. Check in was fast and easy. We chose valet parking, as free street parking is something Newcastle does not provide. The rate was $29 per day. I stupidly thought that because we arrived at 3.30pm and left at 10.30am the next morning, that $29 would cover that. Not so, I was charged $58 on checkout. Bit of a rip off methinks!! Besides that, the staff was friendly and the room was very comfortable and very clean. I met a friend in the bar and the service there was impeccable. Very close proximity to lots of restaurants in the honeysuckle area. We had a diving meal at the Wharf restaurant. My only complaint (besides the parking ripoff) is the fact that the better hotels do not have a toilet brush available. There are times one needs this device, as not all of us like our partners having to see what is left behind!!. I tried writing about this on the Hotels review site, and it was rejected for innapropriate content......lmao!! Come on people........I didn't use a dirty word.....just asked for a toilet brush for Gods sake....Other than that, I have found each and every Crowne Plaza hotel I have stayed in to be of a very high quality and would recommend them highly. The rating would be better if there was a toilet brush lol

Room Tip: I believe the harbour view rooms are the best. We chose a city view room as we figured we could walk...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

jewel_58, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Newcastle! We are glad you enjoyed your time at the hotel and we able to experience our excellent location right on the Honeysuckle Precinct. Our team members loved serving you and providing you with exceptional service, an area that we all strive to offer at Crowne Plaza Newcastle.

I do apologies for the inconvenience caused by the over charge for valet parking. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further - please contact the Manager on Duty on 49075078 if you wish.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We held a small, internal business meeting here. Highly recommend for your offsite business meetings or workshops. Excellent business services and support. Very attentive staff that helped us with all aspects of the meeting. The conference room was well equipped and had loads of natural light. The hotel was nice and had a lovely view. The room was okay. It would have been excellent if the shower curtain and bathroom did not smell awful. It smelled so badly of mildew. The saving grace was that we could close the bathroom door and the rest of the room smelled fine. Really helpful concierge. Lovely staff at check in / check out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Erin O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

MsK425, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Newcastle! We are glad that your were able to experience our hotel facilities and friendly service. All team members strive to provide a memorable experience just as you have noted in your review. I am glad the hotel facilities met your business requirements and that your found our conference space suitable to your needs. Your concerns have been noted and past onto the appropriate departments for immediate follow up, I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am a frequent guest at this establishment. I love the fantastic harbour view. This is a working harbour and watching the tugs bringing in big container ships is wonderful. Rooms are well set out, full of light and come in several sizes. I recommend you pay the extra for a harbour view. Staff are friendly and courteous and service is fast and professional. There are lovely walks from hotel along the promenade, with many wonderful eateries close by.

Room Tip: Request a harbour room on the third floor for a great view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Erin O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

GeoSaleAustralia, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Newcastle! We are glad to enjoy your time with us and off course our excellent location right on the working Newcastle Harbour. Our team loved serving you and we hope that everything was offered to meet your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle and the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

On business staying two nights and the rooms are actually well set out with the Tv and lounge separate to the bedroom which has a tv and the look out over the harbour is a quite a nice view and nice to look at when you wake up in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Ian P, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Newcastle! We are glad that our room layouts suit your business requirements, and everything offered is suited to your needs. Our team enjoy offering you the service to ensure that your stay in Newcastle is a success.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at Crown Plaza in Newcastle for an overnight business trip. Check in was fantastic and I was offered all the complimentary specifics including free Internet during my stay and upgraded to a city view city room, where I was originally booked in a city room (I wonder what the difference was). Valet took my car for a reasonable $29 flat rate. The hotel was set out nicely, the design reminded me of New England's, Boston specifically. Shower was temperamental, a fine line between ice cold and sizzling hot. A trivial thing is the red power button to the TV remote, you press it off and ten seconds later it turns on I was nearly about to rip the cord from the wall til I realised the master OFF button. I stayed on a Monday night and conveniently for the hotel nothing was open in Newcastle CBD. So we ended up dining I'm the restaurant where they managed to offer in room dining meals within so I was pleased with that.
I had a cup of tea before bed, felt very tired so didn't manage to notice that my tub of Dairy Farmers milk tasted a bit funky not until I woke the next morning and made myself a coffee that the milk EXPIRED 1.5 weeks earlier. So no coffee for me and off milk in my tummy from the night before. What really got to me was the reservations employee did NOT ask upon check out the standard "how was everything" and checked me out in the blink of an eye I couldn't say anything. She tainted my whole experience, sorry Crown Plaza. The milk I can let slide but a check out staff not interested in your nights stay is a big no no.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Start_wandering thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Please accept my apology for the problems you encountered throughout your stay, these issues have been addressed with the appropriate departments and actioned accordingly. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further - please contact the Manager on Duty on 49075078 if you wish.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel with a friend mid-week. Loved the ambience, decor and the abundance of light in the common areas. Our room was on the first floor. I was expecting a normal hotel room but when we opened the door I was very pleasantly surprised to find a living area separate from the bedroom area. The sunlight just poured through the picture windows into the rooms, which made the place inviting and warm...especially considering it was mid-winter. The view from the windows over the harbour, with the sun reflected on the sparkling water and the movement of a variety of boats cannot be compared to hotels that have street views looking into other buildings. The location of the hotel is perfect - close to walk to the city bars and other amenities and also to the nearby restaurants in the Honeysuckle precinct. Breakfast was a buffet with a great variety of choices, including an egg station. I will be back.

Room Tip: Harbour view is worth the extra $$$$
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Erin O, Guest Experience Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Bretlyn, thank you for your review!

As well as enjoying the Seasalt Restaurant breakfast, it is lovely to see that you appreciated the natural light that is present in our guest rooms and common areas - we identify it as an important way to make our guests feel comfortable and relaxed. Your comments certainly support this.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,