“Updated, Clean, Comfortable. What else do you need?”

CBD Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #25 of 29 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Updated, Clean, Comfortable. What else do you need?”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I always find it hard when reviewing hotels to remember that some are 5 stars, 1 star and so on. So lets remember this one is 3 stars. And based on that, I think it represents great value. The rooms have been upgraded (Room only, not bathrooms) recently with nice furniture, Digital flat screen tv's etc... I stayed in a queen en-suite and it was perfect for my needs. Bed was very comfortable with nice hotel grade sheets etc... The bathroom was clean and neat, but the original fit out. Check in was no dramas and the staff were pleasant and professional. I also ate in the bistro and I have to admit, the chef cooked my steak to perfection. I will stay here again without any question.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Ben9487

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I found this little gem online and wasn't too sure about staying here after i have read the reviews on trip advisor. I called the establishment and they were more than happy to address my concerns. They explained that the establishment has been taken over by new management and advised me that they pride themselves on customer service and how they have improved the old owners systems. The accommodation was GREAT for what we paid and the service was spectacular. The meals in the bistro were amazing and well worth what we paid. We stayed mid week and Wednesdays they have $5 chicken schnitzel and chips. Very happy with the service and overall experience with the CBD hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria20132
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I booked this hotel through AGODA. Paid for it, and received a confirmation. I turned up at 5pm on Monday afternoon. The place was locked and no one answered several phone calls.
Agoda haven't responded to my emails, so my money is gone and I needed to walk the streets of Newcastle to find another hotel.
Not happy..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AndrewAD1971

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I will start by saying two things:

1) If there were an option to vote somewhere between poor and average, then I would most certainly have placed my review in there. The word 'Poor' in this instance does not paint a fair enough picture.

2) This is a hard one. It's always hard to write a negative review when the staff are friendly and you don't necessarily have a bad experience... BUT...

The rooms are located above a night club/bistro. The hotel itself has an after hours entry that faces the main road and access to the secure car park (large enough for only 6 cars, all were gone) could scarcely even be explained by the staff (one way roads and lanes and all that). Once you have mastered how to get in to this place, you then have to 'check-in'. I say 'check-in' as there appears to be no check-in desk as such and you are able to acquire your keys as easily at a bar of the night-club as at the bistro; and by easily, I mean not.

The room was clean and comfortable enough with a dated but clean and serviceable en suite. The windows afforded fantastic views of the building next door and unfortunately had no fly screens. I also awoke to the sound of kitchen hands and cleaners in the alley adjacent to our room, though it was nothing more than you might get in any busy city in the world.

Now, I know that $120 is most certainly not going to put you in the upper echelons of hotel accommodation, but what I got for that money was what I would expect from a $50 stay in a double room at a backpackers. It is worth noting that the non-en suite option was only $89 and in my mind probably represents better value.

The Bistro looked inviting and the staff were very friendly but if you want value in Newcastle, I'm sure you can do better.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RVSBooBoos
Hunter Valley, NSW
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Tonight we ate at the CBD Hotel's Bistro and enjoyed a beautifully cooked meal. In fact, one of the nicest restaurant meals we've had in quite a while. The large, bright dining room at the back would make a great venue for a large group of people, birthday celebration or Christmas Party. We will certainly be back!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple