Newcastle Beach Hotel
Rydges Newcastle(Newcastle)
Clarendon Hotel(Newcastle)
Hotel Delany(Newcastle)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsaccess codefort scratchleynewcastle beachpin codemetered parkingqueen roomocean bathsthird floorreception deskguest laundrycar spaceclean tidyfree wifishort walkfantastic locationwould stay againcafes and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My first three thoughts:
1. Tired seaside apartments with a 95% obscured view.
2. A Motor Inn without available parking.
3. Overworked staff.
As I checked in, the fellow on reception greeted me with a complaint about the previous customer. I am sure he was going to give the next customer a similar complaint about me. He gave me the electronic room key, but no indication of the room number existed on the key (for my security). Any paperwork that might help was also not given to me (presumably for the same reason.)
After I came back and said that the key did not work on the first room floor, he agreed that he had sent me to the wrong room. ‘They’ had changed my room to the second floor without informing him. After I came back and said that the key did not work on the second room floor, he barked a different room number at me. Just like he had done to the previous customer.
He did explain his mood. “I have been at work for 30 hours. The other shifts did not come in.”
I was welcome to enjoy the view if I left the building. And it was an amazing view from the bluff.
I was welcome to park on the street for $4 per hour, if I moved my car every 2 hours. If someone left the available parks, I could try and snaffle the vacated park. But I couldn't use the hotel park if I wanted to use my vehicle between 11pm and 7am as it would be locked in.
The lift was fantastic - straight from the set of a 50's movie. The outer door was manual, and I found it very hard to hold back whist manoeuvring my bags in and out of the lift. Worth the experience just so I could understand what my grandparents were talking about.
The hallways were dark, with much worn carpet.
I was pleasantly surprised by the room, though. Spacious and mostly clean (except for something indescribable climbing down the bathroom wall. Slowly.)
-->The room was quiet, with a well priced minibar. The bed was comfortable. I slept soundly. <--
In the morning, there was someone different at reception. She made checkout somewhat more pleasant than checkin.
Never mind, there are a number of other hotels in Newcastle.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed here to attend a wedding nearby and picked this hotel purely for its location.rooms were clean comfortable and quiet but the whole hotel is in dire need of a major revamp or rebuild .Shame because It is in a great position.Also found staff and breakfast were ordinary ( reception complained to us about other customers) but ......got the job done!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I have stayed here a few times in the past few years, most recently this month. This is the most affordable hotel in the area; it is clean and unpretentious and who cares about a slightly tired decor when it is a 5-minute walk in one direction to lovely Nobby's Beach and literally just around the corner in the other direction to the Ocean Baths. We have always found the staff friendly and helpful.
A very minor quibble was that neither the restaurant nor room service - both clearly advertised in their in-house literature - was available. We had also hoped to have breakfast at the hotel as we had an early departure but again, the advertised breakfast in room option was unavailable and, despite being assured that a buffet breakfast would be available from 7:00 a.m., the breakfast room was still in darkness at 7:15. But maybe we just struck a bit of a chaotic weekend.
Overall, though, anyone who seriously thinks they are not getting value for money, given the great location, is just being ridiculous.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I was in Newcastle on business for 4 days. I stayed in a Standard room on the 2nd floor. It was perfectly clean. The bed was comfortable and the airconditioner worked well and I found the place perfectly acceptable for $145 a night.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds