“central if you are hitting the town”

The Clarendon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Nice room, friendly staff and centrally located, live music out the back on weekend was probably as loud in our back room as in the bar but finished at 11 and we were out and about anyway. Friends in a room at the front of the building could not hear the music.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Clarendon H, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarendon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Hi Catriona, thanks for your review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your room and our central location. We do have live music on Friday and Saturday nights until 11.30pm. Some guests come downstairs to listen or just enjoy the music from their balconies. And we are always happy to move guests to Hunter St rooms if they are looking for a quiet room before 11.30pm. Thanks again, we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at the Clarendon for the first time in February 2014. The Clarendon is in a great location within walking distance to restaurants along the water at Honeysuckle. It is a nice pub downstairs with nice food. The rooms are huge with a great bed, TV, balcony and a huge bathroom. I would definitely recommend the Clarendon Hotel and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy H

Hi Kristy, we always love hearing that our guests want to stay with us again! It’s great to know that you enjoyed our rooms and our central location. Thanks for taking the time to review us – we look forward to welcoming you next time!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I love this hotel, I have never stayed as a guest here but instead socialised at the bar or in the restaurant. If I needed decent, central and affordable accommodation to stay at following a night out in Newcastle, this place would be high on my list.

I have often ended up here for drinks following the Races or on the way to places like the Brewery in town, some nights we stayed at the Clarendon instead of moving on because the service, atmosphere and patrons were a lot of fun. I have also had meals here with friends and family prior to going to events in Civic Theatre {which is just up the road about 20m}and have never been held up waiting for meals to come out and wondering if we'd make the event.

The bar area is large at the front of the building and leads upstairs to booths, tables for dining and across to pool tables, bathroom facilities and poker machines. Often there is some live music going - and if not the tunes are pumping - which just adds to the atmosphere, if the weather is nice, they have outdoor seating at the back.

I had a birthday dinner and drinks session here about two years ago and I loved it, I had a large number of people {around 25}, when booking I had been turned away from multiple other venues in Newcastle who stated they could not or would not accommodate that many people. Once I rang The Clarendon I was relieved. I was told that my tentative number of 30 would not be a problem for them, they were happy for me to ring three days prior to the date and give them a more definite number. When we arrived they had made room for us at the back {still inside} of the venue with a long table which was ideal, I hadn't wanted to be separated from my guests.

The staff were friendly and happy for us to order at different times. Whenever we went to the bar we were treated warmly and asked if there was anything more that they could do to improve our time. A couple of friends and I enquired about some jugs of Sangria that we had heard would be coming to the Clarendon, they were not available yet {had just been an early promotion} but as it was early in the night and the bar was not overly busy at that stage, the staff happily made us a similar drink in jugs. It was a really nice touch and made our night even better. I have found the staff to be really helpful and aim to please their patrons as much as possible. I haven't ever had a friend I have gone with, tell me that they have felt uncomfortable or not enjoyed the night.

I haven't been for awhile, but after looking back on all the times I have had there - I cannot wait to go back! Give it a go, it is handy in location in that it is right near Civic station and close to other 'going out' venues - it is walkable from here to the Brewery, Customs, Grain Store or Great Northern {consider if the time you are there is appropriate for this though - a taxi isn't much to there either}.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Sarah,

We really appreciate the time you took to write such a lovely, detailed review. It makes us very happy to hear that you have enjoyed our establishment on a number of occasions. A big thank you from all the staff for your continued support. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Only an overnight trip but had a great stay. Would recommend. There is some construction ongoing next door which did not bother me on this weekend trip but might during a weekday trip. Clean and comfortable. Close to train and entertainment precinct. I would stay there again on my next trip to Newcastle.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi, thanks for the great review. It’s good to hear that the building site next door did not bother you. So far the construction has had minimal impact on our guests and we are always happy to discuss any noise concerns with guests to make their stay more comfortable. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

At Hunterstreet in authentic building we stayed at the Clarendon for one night. Rooms are very nice and modern, good size, all amenities. Nothing to complain. Parkinggarage is first time hard to find. But easy to access. If you check in on Sunday the hotel is closed after 1pm. You receive additinal info how to enter hotel with code on frontdoor. Free wifi.

Room Tip: It seems all rooms are the same. They are good for short stay,
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, thanks for taking the time to review us. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you enjoyed your visit to Newcastle. Happy travels!

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Although the exterior of the hotel is dated, and we had to circle a few times to find a way to check in (because of the construction site next door), the refurbished rooms provided everything we needed. Double-glazed windows kept most of the noise out, although my husband said he could hear the trains at night. The central location meant it was an easy walk to the beaches and out for dinner. Bed comfortable and we both slept well. Only suggestion would be for a fold-up to be able to unpack a suitcase.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarendon H, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarendon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent travel experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the local delights of Newcastle, without having to venture too far from the hotel.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the luggage rack in room, we have passed this onto management.

We look forward to welcoming you again at The Clarendon Hotel.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Fourth time I've stayed at the Clarendon.
Arrived back at the hotel after a very long day to find the kitchen closed. Very generous staff kindly offered to keep the kitchen open and prepare myself and colleague a meal.
Always great service from the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are more generous if you want space.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi Andrew,

It’s great to hear from one of our valued regular guests. Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a positive review. Our staff really are some of the friendliest in town and they love providing our wonderful customers with great service.

We hope you enjoyed your dining experience & look forward to seeing you again soon!