“Little Gem in the Hunter Valley”
Review of Blaxland Inn

Blaxland Inn
Ranked #11 of 78 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I recently took a large group of people to dine at the Blaxland's Inn. What a treat. Everyone from our international party was made to feel very welcome, and you could not fault the staff or service in any way. Everyone's meal came out quickly, hot and with a smile.

Tables overlooking the dam are lovely, but the ones out the back overlooking the grapevines looked equally delightful.

I'd recommend it for families, couples, groups or even a business traveller. Its not a 'try-hard' restaurant, so if you're looking for 'chef hat ratings' and pomp and snobbery you wont find it here. Just a great evening out in a lovely setting and a delicious meal.

See it for youself!

1  Thank einram101

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I recently organised a booking for a group of 20 people at Blaxlands Inn, as a Christmas get together.

We booked the private dining room and were thrilled with the whole dining experience!

I organised the booking through the Restaurant Manager, Amee and she was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Nothing was too much trouble.

We loved having access to the courtesy bus, which took us from our accommodation to the restaurant and then back again, at no cost

When we arrived, we all commented on the wonderful “feel” of the restaurant and the friendly staff.

When we saw our private room and the beautiful way the table was set, complete with candles and Christmas decorations, we were thrilled and all felt very special. I had not asked for any decorations, so was very pleasantly surprised when I saw how amazing the table looked.

Our waitress for the evening was Kelly and she did an amazing job. She was polite and very attentive and all our requests/orders were dealt with in a very efficient manner.

The quality of the food was exceptional and even a late request to provide desert to all (even though we had indicated when we booked that we didn’t require desert), was dealt with “on the run” and the deserts that were served in a timely manner and were fantastic.

Amee even arranged the courtesy bus to take us back to our accommodation and walked us out to the bus and thanked us once more for dining at Blaxlands Inn.

The whole experience was exceptional and as the organiser, I was thrilled at how well it all went and how happy all of our guests were.

THANK YOU once more to Amee and Kelly and the rest of your team, for making our dining experience so exceptional!

We will definitely be telling our friends and recommending Blaxlands Inn and I for one, will be back!

2  Thank Shonagh B
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have been to Blaxlands several times and our party of four dined again on Friday November 22. This was the night before a concert in the area so there was a healthy crowd in the restaurant but it was not packed. We were greeted with a big smile and seated and from there things started to go badly. It appeared that there was a table of 'VIP's' in that night and as such our waitress was completely focussed on them. After the usual gestures to attract attention we eventually had to stand and wave our arms to get her to return to take our food and drink orders. The drinks missed slightly - we got a glass of sparkling and a glass of red (for 4 people) instead of a glass of sparkling and a bottle of red but that was soon rectified. The wait for food was unusually long, again something to do with the VIPs I suggest, and when it did arrive again the order missed and really it was not that hard - 2 x fish and chips and two steaks, one with chips and one mash. The fish n chips were correct but both steaks had mash. Normally this is not a big deal but the mash was stone cold! We highlighted this and said while at it can we get one with chips. Another long wait (fish n chips now finished) and the steaks return with correct accompaniments but now the 'medium/well' is absolutely blue rare. The kitchen is one of those open window versions so I thought I will cut out the middle man and go direct to the source. I presented the steak to the chef and asked whether he considers this medium/well. He turned his back and said 'Speak to the waitress'. No where near good enough for me so I persisted highlighting this is his work, not the waitress and does he consider that medium/well. He repeated, 'Speak to the waitress' and walked out of the kitchen completely leaving me standing with a rare steak in my hand! Fortunately the manager 'Amee' witnessed this exchange and intervened offering a new steak. I explained this was my wife's meal, everyone else had now finished for some time so thanks but we declined. I returned to the table, we finished our drinks and asked for the bill and to my amazement was told there would not be a bill at all! Now we acknowledge that this is a terrific gesture but I approached Amee and explained that we had enjoyed our wine, the food quality was very good and the only grevience was with the presentation and chef's attitude so we would happily pay for the drinks at least. Amee explained that they were trying out a new chef and it appears this is not working well and she was insistent that there would be no bill. WOW! So in summary, we did not have a great night but the food quality was very good and with this lady in charge I am confident that all other aspects will improve so on that basis we will be back.

1  Thank AvalonSlim
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

With so many options for dinner we chose well. Our mains and dessert were delicious !! When we booked we asked if the fire would be going as it's a bit of a novelty for us North Queenslanders and it was cold, the answer was yes. When we arrived they had saved the table closet to the fire for us. The staff were super friendly - as we were visitors we asked lots of questions about where we should visit the next day for winery's, lunch and dinner, they gladly informed us and even gave us a book on dining in the Valley - no need to go to the Visitor Centre now we are sorted. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Leanne S
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely staff but the food was average , dry pork belly don't bother . Pie was ok - once again a bit disappointed with what the hunter valley has to offer .

1  Thank LPTraveller760