“never again will I go to this place for a function let alone have one there” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hope Estate Winery

and up
Small Group Hunter Valley Adventure Tour with Wood Fired Pizza Lunch
Ranked #52 of 111 things to do in Pokolbin
More attraction details
Owner description: Hope Estate draws a bigger crowd than any other destination in the Hunter. Our concerts draw some of the biggest names in the world. Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen play here. This place has been a 'must visit' for Hunter trips since Len Evans built it in the late 60's. Owner Michael Hope took it to the next level, building an amphitheatre that holds 20,000 guests and expanding our hospitality services. We offer an exciting range of estate grown Hunter wines from our vineyards at Pokolbin and Broke. There are also intriguing wines from our vineyards in Donnybrook, Western Australia, and Kyneton, Victoria. Our Harvest Restaurant is one of the most delightful places to spend an afternoon, looking out across the valley and enjoying the innovative cuisine of Executive Chef Mert Tansu. There's a lot more happening at Hope Estate right now. Our new Brewhouse is now ready for you to enjoy a wide range of fresh-brewed craft beers on tap. We're right at the gateway to Pokolbin, a great place to meet up with your friends at the start or the end of your day in the Hunter.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“never again will I go to this place for a function let alone have one there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

we went to a wedding at this place in March 2014 and we know the bride and groom very well
but feel they were ripped off no end by having it here
where does one start is the horrible little bites (that may have come from the frozen section of any supermarket) served prior to the reception
the unclean rest rooms with spider webs and grime on the doors
the leaky roof that rained on guests while at the reception
or should I mention being rained on in the ladies toilet
now the so called food served to guests
ok the entrée was acceptable
and the desserts
however the Main meal well if you call a small dollop of sloppy mashed potato with bullet peas
and half cook lamb cutlets or chicken with no taste a main meal than that's what they served
I think my dog would have turned up her nose at it for the price they charged this was disgraceful
and no way on earth would I suggest anyone have a wedding at this venue
save your money and go to a decent wedding reception place
the hope estate should stick to making wine not catering for weddings cause if they keep up this
terrible practise they will go out of business

8 Thank jessica d

Albion Park Rail
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had the chance to go to the Hope Estate for the CMC weekend, The 4 of us can not stop bragging about what a fantastic weekend. We upgraded to the Restaurant for the 3 days and we wil be booking again. To all the Staff that weekend Michell, Michelle Kerri and the rest a huge thank you for making our time so great, you don't get paid enough for the work you all do. Cant wait to see you all next year
A HUGE THANK YOU from Troy Kelly Connie and Mick love u guys

2 Thank Kelly Troy H
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“HOPE I never have to live through such an awful experience again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Like many other reviewers here I attended the Bruce Springsteen concert on Feb 22. 2014. I also paid $476 for the Terrace Cocktail Party and can only describe it as highway robbery. For what amounted to $250 for the food/wine package I wouldn't have said it was worth $25. The setting was of a poor standard with cheap white plastic chairs, the staff were completely inept and ignorant of the unpalatable wine they were serving. Two toilets were all that was available for a huge crowd. The food was extremely poor quality and the guests had to scramble for something to eat. Myself and three friends have written to Michael Hope and have had no response.
I would strongly advise others NOT to waste your money on such a Hopeless destination.

Visited February 2014
7 Thank Libby H
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Bruce 10/10, Hope Estate 3/10”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Bruce Springsteen was fantastic. The Rover coach to take us from newcastle to the Hope Estate was fine (if a little smelly in the loo, but that's generally what you find on coaches...). We arrived to join a queue for 45 minutes, blazing sun and no shade and no advice as to why the gates weren't open.
Once in, we grabbed some food from one of the stalls - an Italian sounding names which escapes me. A burger which was a bit underwhelming and a salmon topped Caesar salad which was really good. We had ordered a hamper but thought we'd save that for dinner later.
Bar queues were really small and were kept moving although only Carlton or Carlton cold available.
We spent the next couple of hours lounging around on the grass enjoying the atmosphere. When it came to collecting the hamper, they'd had the great idea to separate queues into the first letter of your surname. Funnily enough, the S to Z queue was empty. Seems though they'd had a refrigeration issue, so rather than collecting a pre-packed hamper, they were making them up as we waited. The wine was also only just being put into ice while we waited (so we went for the red which wasn't bad).
Once we did collect it, and excitedly rummaged through to see what wonderful treats awaited us, I couldn't have been more disappointed. 4 slices of shrink wrapped deli meats (I don't carry scissors with me so that was a challenge getting into), 2 large baguettes (but no butter), Greek salad minus the Greek (dry lettuce with an olive and a lonely cube of feta), the tub of antipasti was ok and the potato salad was huge but boring. Cheeses were quite nice and we didn't bother with the blobs of unidentifiable desserts. The water was as described thankfully. We expected much much more for $109 and would never buy a Hope hamper again.
Luckily, the concert was great, the venue was generally good and so we would go back but only for a smaller expected crowd.
One last thing though, the exiting scramble was downright dangerous at times. All coach-goers herded out of one gate, with wine bottles underfoot but insufficient light to see where you're treading. Hope estate do need to sort our there crowd control if they are to continue hosting such large crowds.

8 Thank Emmaandjim
Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pretty Fair Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I've been to a few concerts at other vineyards around the Hunter Valley Region and this was my first one at Hope Estate and it had its ups and downs. I loved how convenient the bus parking is to the gate compared to others and that they are very well-equipped for the amount of alcohol being consumed on such a busy night (hardly ever had to wait) and the food, although someone overpriced at times, was easy to get to also. the thing I was disappointed in was the price of the alcohol and the very limited choice. I'm not a BIG wine drinker and I hate beer but love my Moscato, but there was none to choose from, which I was disappointed in. Also, although I had seats in the reserved section, I have heard that people aren't allowed to bring chairs to concerts that are in the GA area. If that is your policy, then stick to it! I feel sorry for the people who only took blankets and they got stuck behind someone in seats that were let in against the policy, not having seats in the first place is ridiculous so I personally think that should be changed so everyone is comfortable after paying $100+ for tickets to get in. On a positive note, I LOVED that you have people constantly cleaning the toilets... that was awesome! soooooo much better to not have to worry about drunks using the same toilets and the mess they leave behind... but more toilets in another part of the estate would be appreciated. Overall it was pretty good, but the atmosphere was not quite as relaxing and nice as other winery concert experiences I have had.

Visited February 2014