“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Cypress Lakes Resort is now managed by Oaks Hotels. What a shame the service was non existent. We rented a 2 bedroom villa which had no washing machine but had a dryer??? There were no salad bowls, microwave dishes or cookware for the oven which is useless as a family wanting to cook and enjoy dinner together. I rang reception and 6 dinner plates were dully dispatched not helpful at all. The outdoor furniture was broken and only 2 chairs to sit on I asked reception to repair the table and still they did not send anyone to fix this situation. They do not service the rooms either unless you wish to pay $40 even though we were paying $420 nightly. There would be more comfortable hotels at the hunter to stay at and less frustrating!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Claire B
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post on TA.
On Oaks Hotels & Resorts arrival on the end of October. The first thing that we thought was why no washing machine and can we just get some. So we have order a washing machine for each unit. They are on their way. We still currently provide washing liquid so you can hand wash in the laundry tub if you like which is how they have had this set up for some years now.
Kitchen equipment is also something else that we wish to upgrade based on feedback. It is being reviewed on what is really required now and should be improved before the busy Christmas period.
The outdoor furnishings are also being reviewed however, they are still in working order. I apologise that you got an exception to the rule and it was not resolved immediately.
Daily service rates are no longer charged on new reservations. Reservations made prior to the take over where no daily serviced and charged for this. It is a direction we do not wish to go in and has been changed by new management.
I am always disappointed when a guest does not disclose to us that they have had a poor experience during their stay. Some things are easily rectified so that they do not turn into this. I always welcome a guest discussion with management team or myself it assists us in improving a stay on the spot.
Hope to help you next time you are in the hunter.
Julie Pettit

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at Cypress Lakes in a two bedroom/two bathroom villa. I had shopped around various websites for the best price, but booking directly by phone with the resort was about $100/night cheaper than their own website. The villa was a perfect size for the 4 adults. We did not use the kitchen but it appeared adequate for basic cooking. The living area and each bedroom were each had their own air conditioning. A fly screen had fallen out of the bedroom window, so unfortunately we had to run the air conditioning overnight. The balcony had a lovely outlook, but was in our opinion unsafe and could not be used. Most other balconies on the other villas appeared to be in a similar condition. We did not require the included laundry but strangely it came with a dryer but no washing machine.

Breakfast was everything you needed breakfast to be, however staff left did not allocate vacant tables so it became crowded with people looking for a table. It would of made more sense to only allow entry once a table became available. The restaurant was also so far from the villa that we needed to drive.

We visited the Golden Door spa, which was exceptional and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am have had a terrible experience with Cypress Lakes.
I paid all costs up front back in June 2013 (note to self: never do that again) but had to cancel a month out. I am now struggling to get my money back.
I keep getting told I will have it reimbursed in a week, in two days, oops another week, another two days - and so on.
Oaks Resorts have taken over Cypress Lakes and I keep getting told the same story by the manager Amanda - it's not their problem. They have to wait to get their money back from the previous owners before they can reimburse me. ????? I don't think so.
I am starting to think things are going under and I will never see my money.
Avoid at all costs - the level of service stinks!
My next step is to speak to Fair Trading and speak to the credit card company.
There are far better places to stay in the Hunter Region and judging by (not only mine) but other reviewers you would be better off choosing somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JCArnou
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We recently stayed the Grand Mercure Apartments Cypress Lakes Resort Hunter Valley. I have to say it was one of the worst places I have stayed and we paid top dollar for it. It was in the middle of the take over to Oaks Hotels&Resorts. We stayed in a 2 bdr villa it was super dirty and everything was falling apart. It certainly wasn't luxury. The balcony was unsafe and very dirty. The floor boards on the balcony were falling apart. I had a one year old and he crawled for 5 mins and his hands were black. Oh and the pool was out of order.
The staff had no idea about anything they didn't even have something simple like a map of all the wineries. Why was I not surprised! denise

Room Tip: do not stay here that's the tip.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank denise r
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here over the weekend of 11th to 13th October. This resort is looking very tired compared to my experience some 10 years previously. In fact it's not a great advert for the Mercure Hotel Group. I have given the resort an overall average rating but I must stress that in my view it is poor value for the price paid. On the basis of my experience I would not be rushing to stay in anything under the Mercure's management.
I found the resort a bit paradoxical as on the plus side the breakfasts are very good, the bathroom amenities were good and the flat screen TVs were of good quality. However on the negative, the sliding door to my patio did not lock, the basin tap leaked badly every time I turned it on to the point I had to use a facecloth to stop the water running everywhere. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a while with leaves all over the bottom and the Spa does not work properly.
The carpets have long reached their use by date and the Patio was filthy!!
In summary I would not be rushing to stay at this place again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CicliOZ
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a night here during my stay in Sydney in oct. I actually booked for a single bed room apartment but got a 2 bed room apartment instead. It's difficult to locate the place especially at night and we arrived at night hence GPS comes in handy. There are lack of signages leading u to reception and the apartment. We had to go a few round around the area to look for our unit. The direction of room were also difficult to find. Road to the apartment is also bumpy... check out time was 11 and although I've requested for extention it was declined but when it comes to the checking out day itself we had the cleaner coming to knock on out door at 10.15 in the morning... it was a big turn off.

Aside from that the room is clean and specious and well equipped with most of the kitchen utensils there. If you planned cook then this is nice

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Babyyin
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately Cypress Lakes seems to be falling short of its former glory. My villa was very spacious, comfortable and mostly clean, but a little dated. Lovely private outlook over bush land to the valley.

Annoyingly, there is no minibar. A sign declares "What could be better than tailoring your own minibar? Phone and order, minimum $25". Well, here's an idea for what could be better: being able to crack open a single drink and have it immediately, without having to wait and/or spend up a storm.

The setting is lovely and the golf club and pool is nice. Dinner was very tasty though unimaginative. Breakfast was good. Coffee dreadful.
The gym was reasonably well equipped for a hotel gym, though again getting tired and in need of maintenance/updating.

If you get a good deal here, it would be a nice option for a relaxing break, but if you're paying luxury prices I would think there are better options available.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Echica1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Spicers Vineyards Estate
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!