“Terrible”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This place is in an amazing central location. It's too bad about the rest. Food is horrible and slow. Drinks are overpriced. Rooms are dirty and outdated. Housekeeping within the general resort is non existent and the reception staff apologize whilst practically rolling their eyes. I wouldn't waste my time or my money again and I suggest that any future wine country travelers look at alternate accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Meg T
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for your posting.
Cypress Lakes is very central and has a great location. I get this feedback from our travelers all the time.
I really have not been able to comment on your feedback with not a lot of detail. I am sorry that you felt we were not up to scratch and would have loved to hear more feedback from you personally so I could have addressed your concerns. I would however, note that I am surprised at your feedback of our receptionist. The feedback has been very positive about this team and they have always reacted to feedback appropriately. Hopefully next time you are passing through wine country you can pop through to see how our team and property is presenting and see the improvements comments such as these make.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Seriously, I don't know what people are complaining about. This resort is amazing. I was worried about staying at this resort after all the negative reviews but I should not have worried at all. I stayed here with 3 of my friends. We booked a 2 bedroom villa which was immaculately clean and comfortable with everything you need for a weekend break. All staff members were polite and so helpful and could not do enough to help and assist us. Pool area was lovely and relaxing. Will definitely be back soon to this brilliant resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracyjaff
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you had a fabulous stay.
We are moving in the right direction and this feedback is indicative of that. I appreciate you taking the time to post this on our feed and your support.
We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here over the weekend with friends. Booked 3 x 1 bed villas upgraded to 3 x 2 bed villas at no extra charge at check in. Check in was smooth & quick. Villas bit of a disappointment.
Lounge area quite tired shabby and in need of paint lounges ripped and stained kitchen was well equipped but felt unhygienic. Pest control mouse baits in full view beside fridge which made us feel very uncomfortable. Daddy Long Legs spiders everywhere inside villa behind most furniture in corners of bedroom and in bathroom so that feeling of unease & uncomfort continued.
Upstairs bedrooms felt up to standard linen on beds felt new clean and crisp. Bathrooms old & tired but good Peter MORRISSEY amenities supplied and plenty of towels.
No daily maid service so beds were not made. Clean towels were left at front door in black garbage bags on 2nd day of our stay. Have never seen this before. With the amount of spiders & bugs inside & out this towel drop off was surprising to say the least! Breakie was included with our rate and I would rate that as average nothing special. I am writing this review as my realistic observations and not to be harsh where it is not due. We did not open sliding door to our wooden deck as the glass was full of webs and the deck had seen better days though the view down into the bush land would have been nice to enjoy. Definitely spend the bit extra & stay somewhere else.

1  Thank echidnasydney

Thank you for posting your comments and feedback. We have just completed a full spring clean of our villa’s pulling everything out and ensuring that all nooks and crannies are clean as well as what you see. While your particular booking was set up as a non serviced rate, there is no excuse for the bag of linen out the front. This is complete mistake and I apologise. We are working with the Villa Owners to also upgrade the condition of our unit’s furnishings and we hope to finish this roll out mid year. It is very exciting to see. Our balconies are also under repair or replacement and I can’t confirm what unit you are in but we have completed more than 60% of the units in a very small space of time. This includes our private villa owner’s too so it’s a long list moving quickly.
Great that your bedrooms and bathroom amenities where clean and fresh and thank you for this feedback.
Thank you for your review I appreciate your thoughts.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We recently stayed at this resort to celebrate a friend's 'significant' birthday. There were 4 single women so we chose to book a 3 bedroom villa.

I had read several reviews on Tripadvisor and needless to say I was somewhat concerned that the villa might not meet our expectations. When I called to express my concerns I was assured that the (new) management were aware of the negative reviews and I could rest assured that we would be given a refurbished villa.

Fortunately I happened to arrive ahead of my 3 friends and so I did a quick check to ensure that everything was as it should be. When I went into the master bedroom I saw that the bed had been pulled out from the wall so I pushed it back into position. I was unable to open the glass sliding door to get some fresh air into the room. It seemed to be off its tracks and it jammed every time I attempted to slide it. As a consequence this door remained closed for the duration of our stay.

In the third bedroom (the one with 2 single beds), both beds had been pulled out from the wall. They were lying in the middle of the room and the bed heads had been detached. The screws used to fasten the bedheads, were lying on one of the bedside tables. There was also a mysterious white cream smeared on the mirrored wardrobe so I removed it with a tissue and pushed both beds back hard against the wall so that the bedheads stayed in place.

Finally I noticed that there was a sticky stain on the bedhead of the 2nd bedroom (double bed) so I grabbed another tissue, closed my eyes and removed this too....

I just wanted everything to be tidy & clean before the birthday 'girl' and her daughters arrived.

Please note that I did mention all of my observations to one of the housekeepers. She looked quite disinterested but she assured me that all would be attended to the following day... Needless to say it wasn't.

The design of this villa was perfect for accommodating up to 6 people but the kitchen was very disappointing. There were limited cooking utensils and a terrible odour eminated from the dishwasher every time we opened the door. The fridge was dented and some of the shelving was missing.

The living area also needed a really thorough clean. The leather lounge was dusty and it had seen much better days.

The villas have access to Foxtel but there are very limited channels available. There was no iPod dock on the stereo so you need to take your CDs or speakers if you want to play your own music.

As the villas are nestled in the Australian bush, Aeroguard and/or some citronella is essential as the mosquitoes are quite fierce.

On a positive note, check in was very smooth and Matthew at reception was friendly and efficient. The resort is centrally located to most places of interest in the Hunter Valley, and it was great having access to air conditioning and T.V.s in all of the bedrooms. Having a separate toilet downstairs was also very handy.

In summation I think that you could find better accommodation in the Hunter Valley for the price that they are charging at Cypress Lakes Resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting your comments on our TA feed.
I am very disappointed in this feedback to say the least. It seems like maintenance where half way through repairing the room and left it. Very strange and certainly not ok. Most of the comments you made are silicone wood repair clue and those sorts of things to fix the bed heads. I wish that I had been able to see this while you were here or speak to you personally. We are in Australian bush land so you do need to take that into account. All our balconies are looking at the natural environment and of course we like this private setting and would not give it up.
Thank you for mentioning Matthew, he is quite a hit with our guests and we appreciate his work. He gets a real sense of achievement when he is mentioned in feedback.
Separate Air conditioners and TV’s have been a big hit this year as we can ensure each person has their own privacy.
While I understand this was a poor experience it is certainly not where we are heading and certainly not what we want for our guests going forward. I appreciate your frank feedback.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here as part of a last minute, mid-week Wotif deal and what we got for the price was brilliant. For less than $120 per night we stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom villa (we'd booked a 1 bedroom villa) complete with balcony and lovely views across the countryside. The resort was great; good location, 3 swimming pools, golf course and tennis court. If you visit in summer head straight to the Lagoon pool (unheated) as it's large and usually empty (or practically empty). The whole resort was very peaceful and perfect for a relaxing break.

If you are travelling with family/friends and intending to cook for yourself, take dishwasher tablets. The apartments have dishwashers but no tablets.

1  Thank explorer255315

Thank you for posting your comments on our TA feed.
Great that you got a super deal to stay with us and were able to get a last minute getaway in for yourselves. We do try to upgrade where we can of course so I am glad you were one of the lucky ones. My favourite part of the resort is feeling isolated in your villa even through you are most likely one of 500 guests in the resort. Everyone does head for our heated pool and sometimes forget about the fact we have 3 pools so sneaking to another one is always a win.
Great to have you stay with us and hopefully again soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

One star for the pillows and location but that is where the praise stops.

We stayed at this resort for 2 nights on the 4th and 5th January 2014.
We booked it at a discounted rate.
We are so glad that we did not pay full price for the villa we stayed in due to the poor and run down facilities and the poor treatment we received as guests. This resort is certainly not 4 stars.
We were very unhappy with our stay and spoke with staff at reception on numerous occasions including when we checked out.

The things that were either broken, dirty, mouldy or missing at our villa:

1. Remote for the Toshiba TV was missing
2. Remote for the TV in the lounge (TCL) was missing so we were unable to use this appliance as it could not be operated manually.
3. The frying pan was missing from the kitchen
4. Three glasses were missing from the kitchen
5. The air conditioner in the twin bed room did not work at all
6. Did not want to use the dryer in our villa as it appears to be unstable
7. Both blue arm chairs in the lounger room were stained, dirty and worn
8. The sliding door entrance to the deck / verandah does not slide well and the lock is very difficult to use.
9. The dishwasher did not work properly and did not clean the dishes.
10. The number was missing from the front of the villa, it looks like it had been ripped off the wall.
11. Dirty linen was left on the front door step when we checked in after 2pm.
12. The verandah was dirty and mouldy, not fit for use.
13. The main air flap of the air conditioner in the main bedroom does not close when the unit is turned off

The customer service at the resort has much to be desired as when things are reported nothing happens which is very frustrating and annoying.
I feel for the front line staff as they must have to deal with unhappy customers on a regular basis. This is not fair on them as they do not have a lot of control over the maintenance and upkeep of the facilities yet customers will take their frustrations out on them.

We were quite angry and upset with the treatment we have received, especially after arranging to meet with management when we checked out at 9am (when we arrived to speak with the manager we were informed that she had someone with her and she was not available to speak with). We were assured that management would call us before the close of business however we received no contact until we sent an email of complaint directly to management which was responded to in not 1, not 2 or 3 but 4 working days.

Do yourself a favour, do not stay at this particular hotel. We have stayed at other Oaks resorts and or hotels and have always had a great time and the service had always been wonderful. Just this rotten apple should be avoided.

1  Thank SimKoss

Thank you for posting your comments on our feed.
We have discussed this directly with this guest and I believe we had come to a suitable response and agreement. As noted there was many things to look into once I had returned to the office and I have apologised for the miss communication.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment for 3 days over the christmas NYE break and came to the following conclusions:
Negatives
1. The kitchen was not well equipped with salad bowls and other utensils.
2. Had been expecting to use a BBQ but didn't realise that the nearest BBQ was at hunter valley gardens.
3. When we checked in, tea towels were missing and some other things like soaps - which is a function of under estimating the housing keeping. Staff at reception agreed to to send someone around which mean they knocked at our door at 930 pm.
4. I was surprised to find that the bar at the large main pool was not staffed during this summer peak time. Easy money in my book.
5. This as the 4th time in the last 4 yrs we had stayed at the resort with the previous 3 yrs staying in a private villa. So we were a little disappointing this time.
6. The oven and cook top took a long time to cook up dinner.

Positives
1. All the rooms have very good air con
2. The size of the living room and other rooms very large
3. Breakfast was reasonable at the reception. I gave it a 3.0 out of 5.0, my wife 3.5 out of 5.0 largely due to the specially made omelette.
4. Golf course in good shape.
5. We got an hour check in, which was lucky compared to some of our friends in the 2 beds who had still had to wait up to 530 to get in. While the staff offered some drinks at the bar, they felt disappointed that they were up front at the start. It meant they missing seeing other parts of the hunter valley.
6. If you have a 2 yr old bring a wide kids gate for stop them from running up and down the stairs

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your comments on our feed.
We have had some feedback over Christmas regarding salad bowls; we have never had them in the past but are adding them to our kitchens. BBQ’s is an odd one as it is something we have never had and not something we look to do in the future. We like to encourage our guests to dine in our restaurant of course. I apologise your items were missing in your room I am glad they were responded to. The time, not sure what time it was requested but yes if it was earlier in the day 9.30 is late.
We operated pool drinks from our bar over summer. It might be something we look at for next year if the feedback is consistent. You can ask for a child gate for the stairs, we do have a couple on site for younger children that need them.
Would love to see you return next year certainly things for us to improve on but nothing insurmountable. I appreciate your comments and clear information it makes things easy to address with the team.
Thank you again.
Julie Pettit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!