“Son's wedding”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Gosford, Australia
“Son's wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Thank you to all at Cypress - especially Felicity and staff in reception. I booked 4 x 3 bedroom villas for my sons wedding. We stayed Friday and Saturday night - the villas were clean, tidy and very comfortable for our party of 24. Staff were friendly and very helpful when there was a computer clitch with the access keys to a lot of the villas on Saturday night. We all know how difficult computers can be!! Breakfast was delicious and quite a variety. The pool was amazing on a 35+ degree day - very clean and inviting. We all had a wonderful stay. We saw plenty of wildlife - wallabies, echidna, frogs in the toilet, and a variety of birds.

Room Tip: 3 bedroom villas very roomy - 2 bathrooms and toilet quite useful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
Felicity was over the moon to see her name here. We are very proud of our people and love them to get a personal mention.
Sounds like you had a large group and had a great stay. Good to see.
I hope to see you all back very soon.
Julie Pettit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I took my husband for 1 night for a 50th birthday surprise. We stayed there a few years ago with our children & found it really nice so was a bit apprehensive when I read the reviews.

So for the positive.

I was greeted on arrival by 3 staff members, with smiles and friendly welcomes.

Our room was a 1 bedroom spa villa, 2 flat screen tv's (we were able to attach our hard drive & watch our favourite movie). The tv in the lounge had foxtel. The lounge was comfy. The separate bedroom had a king size bed, which was comfy, but a bit hard for me. Was a bit disappointed by the spa which was only a normal size bath, but the bathroom was huge. It was too hot to take advantage of the balcony which overlooked the bush. The Room was large, clean & tidy. Needed a bit of love with some large cracks on the wall & the bathroom doors off the runners, but it had no effect on our stay.

We took a twilight stroll around the golf course (no one playing) lots to see Galahs, kangaroos etc. we did ask if we could hire a golf cart, which would have been nice, but no was the answer.

Breakfast was included. We both ordered omelettes that were freshly cooked, very nice. Bacon cooked just how I like it. The buffet was as good as any I have had. Lots of choice, fresh fruit and lovely service from Nicole. Coffee was a bit average.

So glad to judge for myself.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on our TA feed.
Great to hear you had a pleasant stay especially as it was birthday surprise for your Husband. These stays need to go without a hitch.
I remember you on check in surprising your husband by setting the GPS and of you go!
We are reviewing our room standards and looking at upgrading our rooms accordingly. Hopefully I will have news soon.
We do have requests for carts, if it is quiet for golfers we are looking to hire them out however, if the course is closing we need to ensure all buggies are back prior close.
Breakfast is my favour and to note we are currently reviewing coffee standards group wide.
Hope to see you soon and thank you for judging for yourself.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Great place to stay but the service was shocking. We paid a huge amount for Christmas lunch and the food was average, nothing for kids and they ran out of seafood. You certainly don't get what is advertised. I also sent some feedback to them and asked why the deposity on checkout hadn't been refunded to our credit card even though they had taken the full payment for our stay. After 2 weeks they hadn't responded so I sent it again and they responded two weeks later. All I can say is we used to go there all the time but won't be back, it's definitely gone downhill.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kathryn K
Thank you for your feedback on our TA feed.
It is such a shame that I read these comments on our TA feed. I certainly had some great feedback on our Christmas lunch. With large numbers there is always a turnover on food on the buffet and replenishments need to be swift otherwise it is seen that we have run out of food rather than be replenished.
I also note guests have a credit card preauthorization on check in. This money is held by the bank and returned by the bank after 5 days. I am surprised that this was not returned to you straight away as we don’t release this money the bank does. However, I am embarrassed that the communication back to you was delayed and I thank you for letting me know.
I do hope that you pass through the resort again soon to see the improvements we are making on the property.
Julie Pettit

Travellers are raving about these Pokolbin hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This place is in an amazing central location. It's too bad about the rest. Food is horrible and slow. Drinks are overpriced. Rooms are dirty and outdated. Housekeeping within the general resort is non existent and the reception staff apologize whilst practically rolling their eyes. I wouldn't waste my time or my money again and I suggest that any future wine country travelers look at alternate accommodations.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Meg T
Thank you for your posting.
Cypress Lakes is very central and has a great location. I get this feedback from our travelers all the time.
I really have not been able to comment on your feedback with not a lot of detail. I am sorry that you felt we were not up to scratch and would have loved to hear more feedback from you personally so I could have addressed your concerns. I would however, note that I am surprised at your feedback of our receptionist. The feedback has been very positive about this team and they have always reacted to feedback appropriately. Hopefully next time you are passing through wine country you can pop through to see how our team and property is presenting and see the improvements comments such as these make.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Seriously, I don't know what people are complaining about. This resort is amazing. I was worried about staying at this resort after all the negative reviews but I should not have worried at all. I stayed here with 3 of my friends. We booked a 2 bedroom villa which was immaculately clean and comfortable with everything you need for a weekend break. All staff members were polite and so helpful and could not do enough to help and assist us. Pool area was lovely and relaxing. Will definitely be back soon to this brilliant resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracyjaff
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you had a fabulous stay.
We are moving in the right direction and this feedback is indicative of that. I appreciate you taking the time to post this on our feed and your support.
We look forward to having you back with us.
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here over the weekend with friends. Booked 3 x 1 bed villas upgraded to 3 x 2 bed villas at no extra charge at check in. Check in was smooth & quick. Villas bit of a disappointment.
Lounge area quite tired shabby and in need of paint lounges ripped and stained kitchen was well equipped but felt unhygienic. Pest control mouse baits in full view beside fridge which made us feel very uncomfortable. Daddy Long Legs spiders everywhere inside villa behind most furniture in corners of bedroom and in bathroom so that feeling of unease & uncomfort continued.
Upstairs bedrooms felt up to standard linen on beds felt new clean and crisp. Bathrooms old & tired but good Peter MORRISSEY amenities supplied and plenty of towels.
No daily maid service so beds were not made. Clean towels were left at front door in black garbage bags on 2nd day of our stay. Have never seen this before. With the amount of spiders & bugs inside & out this towel drop off was surprising to say the least! Breakie was included with our rate and I would rate that as average nothing special. I am writing this review as my realistic observations and not to be harsh where it is not due. We did not open sliding door to our wooden deck as the glass was full of webs and the deck had seen better days though the view down into the bush land would have been nice to enjoy. Definitely spend the bit extra & stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank echidnasydney
Thank you for posting your comments and feedback. We have just completed a full spring clean of our villa’s pulling everything out and ensuring that all nooks and crannies are clean as well as what you see. While your particular booking was set up as a non serviced rate, there is no excuse for the bag of linen out the front. This is complete mistake and I apologise. We are working with the Villa Owners to also upgrade the condition of our unit’s furnishings and we hope to finish this roll out mid year. It is very exciting to see. Our balconies are also under repair or replacement and I can’t confirm what unit you are in but we have completed more than 60% of the units in a very small space of time. This includes our private villa owner’s too so it’s a long list moving quickly.
Great that your bedrooms and bathroom amenities where clean and fresh and thank you for this feedback.
Thank you for your review I appreciate your thoughts.
Mittagong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We recently stayed at this resort to celebrate a friend's 'significant' birthday. There were 4 single women so we chose to book a 3 bedroom villa.

I had read several reviews on Tripadvisor and needless to say I was somewhat concerned that the villa might not meet our expectations. When I called to express my concerns I was assured that the (new) management were aware of the negative reviews and I could rest assured that we would be given a refurbished villa.

Fortunately I happened to arrive ahead of my 3 friends and so I did a quick check to ensure that everything was as it should be. When I went into the master bedroom I saw that the bed had been pulled out from the wall so I pushed it back into position. I was unable to open the glass sliding door to get some fresh air into the room. It seemed to be off its tracks and it jammed every time I attempted to slide it. As a consequence this door remained closed for the duration of our stay.

In the third bedroom (the one with 2 single beds), both beds had been pulled out from the wall. They were lying in the middle of the room and the bed heads had been detached. The screws used to fasten the bedheads, were lying on one of the bedside tables. There was also a mysterious white cream smeared on the mirrored wardrobe so I removed it with a tissue and pushed both beds back hard against the wall so that the bedheads stayed in place.

Finally I noticed that there was a sticky stain on the bedhead of the 2nd bedroom (double bed) so I grabbed another tissue, closed my eyes and removed this too....

I just wanted everything to be tidy & clean before the birthday 'girl' and her daughters arrived.

Please note that I did mention all of my observations to one of the housekeepers. She looked quite disinterested but she assured me that all would be attended to the following day... Needless to say it wasn't.

The design of this villa was perfect for accommodating up to 6 people but the kitchen was very disappointing. There were limited cooking utensils and a terrible odour eminated from the dishwasher every time we opened the door. The fridge was dented and some of the shelving was missing.

The living area also needed a really thorough clean. The leather lounge was dusty and it had seen much better days.

The villas have access to Foxtel but there are very limited channels available. There was no iPod dock on the stereo so you need to take your CDs or speakers if you want to play your own music.

As the villas are nestled in the Australian bush, Aeroguard and/or some citronella is essential as the mosquitoes are quite fierce.

On a positive note, check in was very smooth and Matthew at reception was friendly and efficient. The resort is centrally located to most places of interest in the Hunter Valley, and it was great having access to air conditioning and T.V.s in all of the bedrooms. Having a separate toilet downstairs was also very handy.

In summation I think that you could find better accommodation in the Hunter Valley for the price that they are charging at Cypress Lakes Resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your comments on our TA feed.
I am very disappointed in this feedback to say the least. It seems like maintenance where half way through repairing the room and left it. Very strange and certainly not ok. Most of the comments you made are silicone wood repair clue and those sorts of things to fix the bed heads. I wish that I had been able to see this while you were here or speak to you personally. We are in Australian bush land so you do need to take that into account. All our balconies are looking at the natural environment and of course we like this private setting and would not give it up.
Thank you for mentioning Matthew, he is quite a hit with our guests and we appreciate his work. He gets a real sense of achievement when he is mentioned in feedback.
Separate Air conditioners and TV’s have been a big hit this year as we can ensure each person has their own privacy.
While I understand this was a poor experience it is certainly not where we are heading and certainly not what we want for our guests going forward. I appreciate your frank feedback.
Julie Pettit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#9 of 15 in Pokolbin
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!