“Service a disgrace, feels like the owners are trying to run with as few staff as possible” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have used Cypress Lakes for a sales conference. This is the first time under the new ownership.
What a disgraceful customer experience!
From the moment I checked in, the lady on reception was rude and didn't care. Food is very basic.
The rooms are OK but not serviced - I couldn't believe that the towels were still in the bath at the end of the day.
The place is run down and there appears to be a complete lack of pride in the facility.
For example : The locks on toilets in the conference centres were broken and on the floor.
Would never recommend this place or choose to stay here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MrsHuxtable
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on TA.
We appreciate your comments and have taken them on board. We certainly have not changed our staffing model in our Floor team to look after events and our repeat guests have come and gone very happy.
I cannot pin point your sales conference to comment as we have had many repeat clients.
I can however, comment on our refurbishment, we are currently owned by a fantastic company that is investing in its product both grounds and rooms. We hope that you will return and see some of the improvements we have made around the property and I thank you for your comments.
Julie Pettit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
cairns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for two nights - the setting is beautiful with a lovely outlook from the balcony. Check in was fine, the reception area was beautiful and the pool and the restaurant have a lovely view. The only thing I think lets it down is there is only one restaurant and it is not cheap. Although lovely food, we ate there once, there is no sitting outside and the view and ambience is so lovely, I think it is a shame this isn't used. It would be too expensive to eat here regularly, we bought breaky supplies, and ate at other restaurants for the remainder of our stay. Our apartment was great - all clean and tidy, and well appointed. Only no washing machine in the laundry of our apartment - which was strange. The second pool had a cabana bar attached to it, but this was not open whilst we were there and it was summer. This was another shame - we took our own drinks and dips down there. Other than that, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We certainly think we have a beautiful location. Nothing more appealing than waking up to the country.
Thank you for your feedback on the restaurant, pricing has been noted and we look forward to releasing our new menu next month.
I look forward to seeing you in the hunter soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend as part of a large group attending a business conference.

When you first arrive and look around it is a very nice and pleasant feeling - extensive views, a couple of pools, impressive check in entry space, good golf course… but then when you actually start to experience Cypress Lakes and what it has to offer you will find that once you have scratched the surface that this resort is basically broken which is a shame.

Check in was quick and efficient albeit our room was not ready but this was not an issue for us. We had a look around to see what the resort had to offer. Once we found out where our room was we prepared for the country drive to get to it! Whilst the resort does have transport to get you to and from your room we found the fact that the rooms are on a hillside to be frustrating and tiresome. Certainly if you had any issues which made you less than fully mobile then this would present challenges to you. As fit and able people it was a good 10 to 15 minute walk from our room to the main resort building!

Once in our room the same experience occurred. Initially it looks great but once you actually settle in you notices the things which do not work or are not quite as they seem. When we tried to open the doors to get onto the balcony the door fell off. No really the entire door fell off!!! Fortunately a member of staff was nearby and able to assist in temporarily resolving the issue. Despite being told this would be repaired it was of course not repaired while we were there. Also, the deck is being eaten by termites and subsequently there was a lot of “bounce” in the deck which was unnerving.

We decided to go for a swim. Again as you walk towards the main pool it looks great. Then you get closer and realize it has been a long time since someone removed the leaves. It remained like this for 2 full days. On the 3rd we did notice one of the staff removing the leaves. We decided to try the pool at the back of the resort. Again as you walk up it looks great but then you notice the numerous missing tiles the horribly old and worn decking around the pool. Disappointing.

On one of the days we were there we lost power. This meant we lost air-conditioning in the function centre which quickly became unbearable as it was a particularly hot day. There was no back-up generator or plan. We basically had to wait until the power was restored by the power company. Eventually we were able track down a staff member and asked for them to provide a bucket of ice with some drinks to cool us down!!! Would have been nice if this had been offered as opposed to asked for (and not added to the bill!!!)… on another day a strange and very unpleasant odour was emanating from the toilets… we reported this but did not receive any feedback… yuck!!!

This theme carried it way through the entire stay. You look and think great. You experience and it is not so.

The staff, in general, were trying hard but were clearly overloaded/understaffed. Whilst we were there a staff member apologized for the lack of interest that some staff were showing but could we please be understanding as the resort owners had on the day let go a number of staff due to a change in ownership or something similar. They were not sure of the exact reason but they were obviously upset. Whether this was true or not I do not know but as they say there is no smoke without fire…

We arrived a day early to play golf. The course is in relatively good shape but again appeared to be on a downward slide with areas not being kept in the manner you would expect for something “Consistently ranked in Australia’s Top 20 Golf Resorts”. The golf shop was friendly and helpful.

Overall, I can imagine if I had stayed here when the resort first opened it would have been a top notch 5 star place to stay. But that was a while ago now. The resort gives the impression that only an absolute minimum has been spent on maintaining the original standard that it set, and subsequently this place was disappointing and underwhelming. It overpromised and under delivered on pretty much all fronts. I would not go back here and would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Essexboy999

Travellers are raving about these Pokolbin hotels

Camden, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a girls weekend for a concert at Hope Estate and were very unimpressed.have stayed at other hotels in the area, but due to concert those were all booked out. Service at dinner on Friday night was poor, food was good though. We were served a bottle of wine, the waiter didn't even open the bottle, let alone pour us a glass.
One of our beds had hair of different lengths in the sheets. Fresh linen was bought to us when we contacted reception.
My overall impression that this place and very tired and quite run down and staff are slacking in their jobs. ( as we were told by a staff member that we weren't the only room to complain about dirty bed linen that night)
The other thing that was a turn off was the fact that I had to pay $150 incidentals fee at check in, but then was told on check out that the money would be put back in my account within 5-7 days. Never had I experienced this before, surely taking a cc imprint would be suffice, not actually taking the money and holding for a week, especially considering that the room was paid in full more than 6 weeks previous to the stay.
The room rate was doubled due to the event that was on in the area that weekend, which is ok, but I just think if your willing to charge more, be willing to give good service!
Plenty of other lovely places to stay in the Hunter Valley, that I will not return or recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Brittswater
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We have had a number of concerts they are a drawcard for the hunter.
I apologise that you received poor service at dinner. I printed this for our food and beverage team and they were embarrassed. You always open a bottle of wine for a guest. No excuses.
In regards to your sheets, this was truly horrifying to hear. I apologise. This should never happen. We get freshly laundered sheets everyday there is no reason for them not to be crisp and fresh. Our housekeeping team has increased the checks on all linen going onto beds to ensure this does not happen again.
For you preauthorisation on your credit card, this is something we have standardised in conjunction with a number of other hotel groups. It is purely just security for the room and it sits on your account as a pending transaction. I apologise if this was not explained to you on arrival correctly.
I am sorry that we have let you down on this occasion, we certainly will learn from this experience and improve our guest stay.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was here some three months back and was amazed at how far down hill this once very reasonable hotel had gone so I kind of sucker punched myself for booking here again.There was some excuse for this in that the golf course is fabulous and much cheaper to play if you stay there.

Check in was awful and Receptionist did not acknowledge me for around 5 minutes - she was busy dealing with a delivery man and working out where to send him and his trolley - great start and this attitude and general incompetence by the reception desk staff would be continued right through till check out.

The room 719 is a two bedroom apartment - we had explained that we wanted one king and two singles and sure enough there was not two singles and a king but just a king and queen - I call reception who tell me this will be rectified - nothing happens.

In one of the bathrooms there was a massive ant infestation which required a good hit of deodorant to get rid of.

We opted for burgers in the bar area after golf and waited just on 50 minutes for barely edible food and an attitude from waitstaff - this poor food was backed up in the morning with close to the worst buffet breakfast I have encountered anywhere - $29 for rubbish.

The one positive was the wonderful lady who works in the golf shop who is always a delight and bends over backwards to make sure every need is met.

This place is popular with conferences and fellow golfers but It is in pieces - Oaks Hotels really need to take a good look at this site and put some work into the place as I could not go back there again - Yes we will place golf there again but not stay in the run down rooms and cop shocking service

Room Tip: do not get room 719
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank roosterman2016
Thank you for posting on our TA feed. I am sorry that it took you three months to write here as timely feedback is important to us.
I apologise that reception did not acknowledge you on arrival. We have after feedback over the christmas period completely re-polished the team to improve their ability to react to guests immediately no matter what the question.
We do give our clients a bedding choice subject to availability however, requests for change again should be actioned as quickly as possible by our staff. In regards to the Ant after the recent dry period in december we did get a number of rooms that had ant in the bathroom looking for water however, we normally would have prevented them prior to a guest arrival so I apologise that this was left for you to walk in on.
In regards to the bar feedback, I can honestly say that negative feedback about the food in this outlet is very rare, I do know however that if voiced on the night the team is very experienced and would have reacted to your comments accordingly. In regards to Breakfast - again unusual comment especially with eggs to order and an array of foods I apologise we could not find something that suited your tastes.
The team in golf would be pleased to hear your positive feedback and since our purchase of this hotel in late october we have spent a significant amount of money on the property and had started this expenditure in the golf course so I am glad to see that it is working. We will see more investment in the coming months. Again since your stay was three months ago there has already been an upgrade of our pool lounges after feedback over this period.
Hope to see you in the valley again soon seeing what your feedback has done to the property.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

A business conference found me at Cypress Lakes Mon to Fri recently and having seen Cypress Lakes over the years I can say its looking tired and in need of TLC now. I was surprised to return to my cabin on Tuesday evening to find it hadn't been serviced. OK, deal with that tomorrow. Wednesday, after another full day in the conference room, again the cabin wasn't serviced. Note to self, have stern words with housekeeping. Thursday evening and finally the cabin was serviced. It seems not only are the fixtures and carpets tired but also the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pmcnich
Thank you for posting on our TA feed. We are in the middle of upgrading the resort and have since november spent close to one million on items around the resort. Of course we are still working through them however, we are certainly listening to our guests and responding.
I will note that some rooms are booked with a serviced or non serviced rate. Companies often book non serviced and a mid stay only of course it is cheaper but communication is key so that delegates know that it was not a choice but part of the offering that was chosen.
Hope to see you back in the hunter again soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed their as for my hens weekend with 5 other girls. I loved every moment of it. From check in, to the amazing clean pools, to the lovely housekeeping staff, to final check out. This resort is like a little slice of heaven. Nothing more amazing then Swimming in the pool and seeing kangaroos hoping around in the distance. The threebedroom villas are so spacious. The amenities were first class. I had the most wondering weekend. Can't wait to go back!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Swa B
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hens weekend! Lovely way to spend some quality time with your best girlfriends before your wedding. Great that you had a memorable experience on a special stay. I do love those kangaroo mobs that bounce about the 14th fairway while you swim or eat in the restaurant. If only they would eat the Rough only!
Looking forward to seeing you again in the hunter soon.
Julie Pettit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!