“Beautiful surroundings”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed in a 3 bedroom villa on the property as part of a large group booking. Our villa had 2 rooms with 2 single beds (share bathroom) and one room with a queen bed and ensuite.

Whilst the accomodations was lovely I had a few gripes.

1. Lack of towels. Why would you only put 3 towels in a bathroom that is mean to have 4 people share. There was also only 2 face washers and one hand towel. I heard there was a similar problem in one of the other villas - but they had extra towels in their ensuite...? Strange.
2. The single bed in my room was like really hard. However, I switched rooms on the final night of my stay to another single bed and it was fine. It felt like the first one had no padding on top.

However, the villa itself was lovely. The surroundings are gorgous. If you are staying at the resort and need to be in the convention area continuously, ask for a villa close by, within walking distance as the first one I stayed at was a very long walk away. Ended up driving backwards and forwards constantly.

Breakfast was included and was quite good. Standard buffet style. Eggs were warm which was good. i always find eggs buffet style to always be luke warm.

All up, I would stay again, but ensure that I get more towels, a comfy bed and a villa close by.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Julie P, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay, enjoying our breakfast and surroundings. Seems odd about your bed in your villa, the single beds are all the same with the mattress having an attached topper. However, maybe one was older than the other. We can look at that for a replacement. The railing does only fit the three towels however we normally roll up the additional towel in the bathroom selves and have spare in the ensuite too. Would love to have you back to the hunter and hope to see you soon.
Julie Pettit

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Picked up a bargain on wotif to stay at this resort and what a lovely surprise it was to have a two storey, two bedroom, two bathroom, three TV villa overlooking the 10th hole of the spectacular golf course. If paying full price you might be more critical when there's no washing machine or not the right cooking implement in the kitchen but for our budget price we were very impressed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting some feedback on our TA page. Delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay. We have some washing machines on order however, given the number we need to fit out the units it will not be straight away but hope to have them in the coming months. Kitchen equipment has just been updated also and you can ask for additional items at reception if you need anything. Hope to see you soon and thank you again for posting.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Lovely accommodation but sadly in need of up-dating and carpets cleaned. Very expensive for shoddy apartments. Beautiful grounds. Only allowed 30 mins. free WiFi each day (in the foyer), not working in rooms & then pay a fee. We really had expected more for what we paid.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends and the room was large, easy to find and had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable and the pool was nice and clean, however unfortunately did not offer pool service. Breakfast also provided a good selection of food. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went for a short vacation with our good friends from Sydney. We were very happy to see the Hunter Valley, having heard about it from our friends. We were very happy to go and to go to the resort at Cypress Lake. We were following a big gathering from the weekend. We arrived and dirty linen and garbage were outside the door, which was picked up at a later time. My friend found a sheet full of urine in one of her drawer, not to good!!! The villa needs upgrade and a little cleaning especially in the bathroom. The air-conditioning did not work in our bedroom which made the stay a little uncomfortable. The kitchen appliance needs to be replace the toaster was in a very bad state. Some of the room smell of humidity. The hot tub at the pool was not working. And to finish I am certain the resort was not full nevertheless we were given a villa facing the road, when there is beautiful view on the golf course. I must say that the golf course was very nice and the restaurant was very pleasant, and so as the people at the front desk.

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Jocelyne S

Thank you for posting on our TA page. Great to hear that our staff where friendly and helpful. I was however disappointed to hear that you had these issue in your villa and hoped that our team assisted you with the issue. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to contact me directly with a room number so I may replace some of the items you mentioned if it has not already been discussed with reception. I would really appreciate the opportunity to improve our villa presentation and standard for future stays.
Thank you for taking the time to post.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I returned today from Cypress Lakes after a romantic weekend away. After reading a few negative reviews we thought, "What are we in for"? I can say every aspect of our stay was excellent and cant fault a thing. The spa villa with views to die for was picturesque and peaceful. Every morning I went for a jog around the property to be greeted outside our room by a group of Kangaroos, The pool was heated and lying on our sun lounges, cocktails in hand looking out over the golf course was a memory I will cherish. We ordered the "Tomahawk" steak for two in the restaurant which was the best steak I personally have ever had. The bartender/Waiter was knowledgable, friendly and genuine. I have told everyone at home how wonderful this place is and cant wait to get back there.!!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a romantic getaway, the spa villa is the way to go. Private, peaceful, sitti...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kylie G

Thank you for posting on our TA page. Great to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. I think we need to pay these kangaroos they have great timing for our guests! Many guests comment on our pool deck view. Certainly not a boring one and fits in with the hunter valley home. Looking forward to having you back to enjoy a lovely steak in our restaurant too.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently for a wedding nearby.

The rooms here are nice with each having an ensuite and large tv which was nice.

Only odd things were only two pillows on a king size bed and the placement of the tv in the lounge area downstairs.

The general place needs some improvements and is poorly signed but overall was pretty good

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank makybes

Thank you for posting your feedback. I am pleased to see you enjoyed our villa’s. I have had no feedback about the TV location previously however, each villa is slightly different as the layouts dictate where the TV can sit. However, when the refurbishments are done the TV are looking to be wall mounted in some cases that might correct this. Signage has just been updated so hopefully this improves this area for you too. Thank you for your note.
Looking forward to seeing you in the hunter again perhaps you can let me know if these have improved directly when you next visit.
Julie Pettit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!