Stayed midweek and got a great deal on a superior room with afternoon tea and dinner (in Roberts.) Rang hotel direct and they were very helpful. Went with my mum & sister for their two milestone birthdays.
Hotel was gorgeous and having gone to a covent school the restoration was exactly as we expected - even more unusual for us to be staying in an Irish order convent in Oz. Superior room had 2 day beds which was nice for hanging out (in addition to the balcony) but mattresses not great for night - mind you there's a hint in the name! Actual bed mattresses were comfy. Bathroom & accessories etc were all good and it was nice that bottled water is included. Grounds & pool were lovely and all food was gorgeous. (Hotel has an arrangement with local hair dresser etc but this is not available mid week).
Roberts has an amazingly extensive wine list and a visible very impressive vegetable garden. It also has 4 vegetarian options which can all be served as starter or main although the heirloom tomato dish (delicious) and the vegetables "cooked with love" really can't be counted as mains even if portion is bigger than starter! It's French influenced so from past experience I know I was lucky to have any vegetarian option. So well done Roberts. The girls said their meat dishes were perfect.
The convent obviously is an old building so creaks but noise in morning really travels although everything quietened down by 8:30am - when you're up :)
Staff were very nice and I stupidly left an unopened of wine in the fridge which they said they post to me no problem.
Location is very handy for tempus two cellar door, smelly cheese shop & brokenwood cellar door. Not far to Cessnock which has all usual town things you could need.
We really enjoyed our girls night and would recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the famous Wine Country and enjoy luxury boutique hotel accommodation at The Convent Hunter Valley. Just 2.5 hours drive from Sydney CBD, The Convent is nestled within one of Australia's premiere wine regions - Polkobin. Our unique location offers expansive acreage views of the glamorous boutique hotel - The Convent, Pepper Tree Winery and Circa 1876. All venues are located on the estate and surrounded by rich, produce filled kitchen gardens, creating a tranquil culinary treat pleasing to lovers of both food and wine. Whether you are planning a romantic getaway, a weekend with the girls or your mates, or a fun-filled family holiday, our intimate and boutique Hunter Valley hotel offers something for everyone. Unwind and enjoy renowned local wines at Pepper Tree Winery and share the passion for organic produce and farm to fork dining at our hatted restaurant at Circa 1876. Explore the Hunter Valleys with the whole family and sample the region's many attractions. With an onsite function room, a spectacular backdrop and a relaxing atmosphere, The Convent is the ideal venue for weddings, corporate events and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Convent Hunter Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peppers Convent, Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Peppers Convent Hunter Valley Pokolbin
- The Convent Hunter Valley Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia