“Great base to see the Hunter”

Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My wife and i stayed here for two nights on a Groupon deal for our first trip to the Hunter and thoroughly enjoyed it. wonderful spacious room, helpful staff, great gym and pool, the food was good but pricey (though we had restaurant credit with the deal which made it a bargain). Views from the room were exquisite. we will return

Room Tip: Heritage rooms were perfect. We had number 59 and it was in the block with the best views i think.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in Oct 2011.
Good clean rooms, comfortable beds, great view over vineyards to Brokenback Range, and well tended grounds.
Reception lobby large and offers a quiet place to read if your room is not available.
Restaurant well appointed and food quite acceptable. Wait staff very helpful and friendly but do not appear to be fully trained.
Overall - no complaints.
Kayte

Room Tip: North facing rooms have the best views
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaytee33
Reviewed 18 October 2011

although a bit away from the vineyards (10 minutes if that bothers you). This location has all that old school feel. although new inside the colonial look of the accomodation is refreshing and stylishly done.

The rooms are spacious and both bathroom and bedroom is clean, great view of surrounding land.. popular wedding spot so bear that in mind as saturday night they had 2 weddings running but the noise was minimal.

Probably only problem was the noisy fridge in our room, which we had to un plug at night so we could sleep. Would I go back again.. for sure polite staff, great selection for breakfast.

keep up the good work.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elvis10_10
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Travelled to the Sebel with my parents for a short 3 day weekend break and had a wonderful relaxing time. The hotel was lovely with friendly and helpful staff. Set in beautiful gardens and surrounds in the heart of the Hunter Valley the rooms were well appointed, king size bed, plenty of wardrobe space, good size bathroom and verandah's overlooking the valley and beyond. With our rooms being at ground level and close to the car and everything in close proximity this enabled very easy access for my mum who does not get around so well these days. There was also an indoor pool and spa that looked very nice as well as tennis courts and function rooms. Breakfast in the Courtyard brasserie each day with the sun streaming in the gorgeous windows was a nice start and the hotel restaurant was excellent with a wide variety of meals to choose from. Close proximity to all the wineries, Harrigans Irish Pub and the beautiful Hunter Valley Gardens (worth spending the day here!). Overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room overlooking the valley, it's gorgeous!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank needabreakSydney
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I had a great time staying at this hotel. I recommend it for anyone heading into the Hunter. Very central to all the local vineyards and the view you get from your room is amazing.

Friendly service and great value for money. Will definatley stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank despina_furnari
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I've had a bit of a look through the previous reviews, and ask you to read mine in that knowledge that my first priority is quality of service, as I work in the service industry myself. I don't care about the colour of the walls, the age of the buildings, the squeak of floorboards (!?!?)... what matters to me is that a place is warm, clean, tidy and has great staff.

Our room was spacious and well appointed, with french doors opening onto a narrow wrap around verandah balcony. The view from the balcony was lovely, and the sound of frogs croaking as we settled for sleep was enchanting. The little setting on the balcony made for a pleasant place to sit in the morning sun and read the paper. (Which was supplied free.)
The bed was possibly a tad shabby and scuffed, but the bedding was clean (even the underlay!) and the pillows and mattress comfortable (for once a hotel didn't buy pillows & mattress's from a brick manufacturer.)
After a 10hr drive, we opted for room service. The meal arrived quickly, was perfectly cooked, hot and plentiful.
As my back was aching after the long drive, I was looking for a hot bath. The bath was certainly large enough for a good soak, there was abundant hot water and huge soft fluffy towels to wrap around myself after. The only fault... one of those ridiculous sliding glass screens had been installed which made it harder to get in and out of the bath. I'm saying this as someone with a chronic illness, so it probably wouldn't matter to anyone with a better range of mobility. An old fashioned shower curtain would have been better, but I understand the reasoning behind installing a sliding screen.
Breakfast was maybe a wee bit expensive for both of us as I don't eat much. We paid for one brekkie, and I just yoinked a bit of toast from my husbands plate. Compared to what we saw others eating we still didn't come close to $30 so I don't feel one bit guilty.
Staff were attentive and polite, topping up coffee and tea as required and not fussing.
The room was inviting and warm... even the loud braying of one of the other guests couldn't put a damper on the morning!
The service and meal for the wedding reception we attended was faultless... again quick, unobtrusive and polite serving staff and superb food. The set up and clean up before and after couldn't be faulted. Lost items were found and returned, including money. How tempting that must have been, and how honest the staff member that found it.
For those of you with short attention spans, the 'TL:DR' mob, I'll list the pro's and con's.

Pro's-
-lovely setting, especially if you are from suburbia.
-ample parking.
-excellent staff, friendly and helpful.
-staff have a great knowledge of the local area and are happy to share.
-ample, well cooked breakfast with a wide variety of foods to suit all tastes.
-rooms clean, tidy and fuss free.
-happy to cater for dietary differences in a set menu situation. (one vegetarian at a wedding reception, no problems!)
-did I mention the staff? I cannot praise them highly enough.
-plenty to see and do in the region.
-the latte and cappuccino coffee's were not served with burnt, over heated milk. Well done!
-close to Cessnock.

Con's-
-with a full house for the father's day weekend and two wedding receptions on the Saturday night, parking nearest the rooms was snapped up quickly by non paying customers. I heard a couple of complaints about this, but for us it wasn't a huge issue.
-breakfast was a wee bit expensive at $30 a person, but if you're like us and have one non eater, pay for one and share. I would NOT recommended doing this if you're both going to eat a full meal.... that's dishonest. But a bit of toast isn't going to break the bank.
-the sliding shower screen made it harder to use the bath. No biggie, just letting you know.
-if a large mob descend on the bar (say, after a wedding and waiting for the reception), you WILL have to wait for an espresso coffee. Not a long wait, but a wait none-the-less. It's worth it, but if you're a 'TL:DR' type, you can't say you weren't warned!
-the map we were given to help find our room wasn't 100% clear. Again, staff took the time to help.
-coming from a premier wine growing region, I was disappointed by the wines on offer with meals. Your tastes may, and probably will, vary.
-type of coffee beans used was a bit ordinary. I'm a barista, so again you might not be worried by such trivialities. However it was served as requested and the milk wasn't over heated. (Despite the pressure on the staff from the amount of people waiting for tea & coffee.)

Overall, a relaxing pleasant stay. I highly recommend it, but it's not for those who value modern style and chic above good service.
If you want brand new, minimalist style modern hipster accommodation, look elsewhere. You'll just find the Sebel Kirkton Park sad and dated.
If you want honest, friendly staff and decent food in a superb central location, this is for you!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kezbekistan
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here last weekend for a wedding. Generally the Hunter is an expensive place to stay on weekends & this was on par with most of the places we have visited
we had a heritage room, which had a queen size bed, and seperate sofa bed.
the hotel is well located for visiting vineyards. the room was clean & had plenty of room for us to set up a portacot for the baby.

the outdoor wedding was spectacular!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank theyipster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Spicers Vineyards Estate
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley

Been to Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!