All reviewssebel kirktonmanor houseindoor poolhigh teahunter valleyrose gardenbuffet breakfastroom was spaciousrolling hillsmain buildinglovely groundstennis courtsmid weeka lovely stayopen fireglass of winewine country
Reviewed 8 January 2009

This was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Not only was it beautiful but the customer service was first class.

We received an incredibly friendly and informative welcome. The facilities were explained to us and we were given some great advice about the local area. In the restaurant they bent over backwards to ensure we enjoyed our meals. The meals arrived in perfectly good time, however they clearly prided themselves on better service because we were immediately offered free coffees. When my girlfriend's steak was slightly over cooked they were very apologetic, cooked a fresh one immediately (and perfectly) and offered us a free bottle of wine as a goodwill gesture.

These small touches cost the hotel little, but they really impress customers. We will happily stay there again and recommend it to anybody.

In addition, there was a nice indoor pool, a gym, a barbecue area and a lovely patio area with beautiful views. I'm sure there are hotels with slightly better facilities in the world but this was genuinely the best customer service we have ever received. It made me realise that a good hotel is so much more than a clean room, with good facilities and a Corby trouser press! You go to a hotel for a special experience, otherwise you may as well just stay at home! The Sebel Kirkton Park was a friendly, relaxing, beautiful, stress free experience. Customer satisfaction was clearly the main priority as everyone was excellent. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2008

My partner and I stayed in a heritage room, we had a great experience and did not encounter any problems. Memorable points about the hotel was the very comfortable king sized bed with beautiful linen and duvet, excellent breakfast (we found out in the morning hot breakfast was complimentary to the buffet, a nice surprise), friendly staff and good location.

The grounds of the hotel is beautiful and unique and very well maintained, the gym and pool has been beautifully renovated. The large fireplace at the common lounge area in the front of the hotel was very pleasant to spend time in. The hotel has character and is one of the nicest places to stay in the Hunter Valley region.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lyf
Reviewed 2 August 2008

$165 a night without breakfast.$190 a night with breakfast on a dead Monday night
Impressive from the outside but thats where it stops.
The room was very small and the bathroom not able to fit 2 people. Mould in the bathroom in numerous spots. Bed uncomfortable and minimal TV stations.
Our air conditioner would not work except to blow cold air.Great on a REALLY chilly night. Reception tried to fix it but didnt. We went to sleep waiting for the warm air to turn on. Waking at 3am absolutely frozen,tried every control possible on the air con - ZILCH
Breakfast: an absolute joke. First they tried to hit us for an extra $16 for a cooked breakfast until I complained. Beakfast was mediocre at best. Hopw can anyone screw up breakfast? How come we cannot get a latte in a 4.5 star hotel. How can you screw up cooking eggs?
The place needs updating, is poorly maintened. A really great pity as it is in such a pretty location
NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank RayGoldberg
Reviewed 3 June 2008

After reading other reviews I had high hopes for this place... and left sorely disappointed. We were upgraded which was a nice touch, but I found the room a little small and chintzy for my liking. The view was nice but certainly not the best available in the Hunter. And for at least $250 a night there should at least be some plunger coffee in the room! The service was very snobby - and misplaced, the Sebel isn't anything special!

The breakfast was appalling. The buffet was ok (lots of cereal and fruit, but no muffins or leaf tea, and the yoghurt smelt a bit off - and this is meant to be a gourmet destination!) Hot food had to be ordered seperately, and my pancakes were burnt black. The staff didn't even come to ask us how everything was, and seemed sulky when I complained about the burnt pancakes. We will not be returning - there are much better places to stay in the Hunter Valley!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sydney_beach_gal
Reviewed 16 March 2008

I've stayed here twice during the past few years and really like it.

The hotel is right in the main wine area of the Hunter Valley. Rooms are very comfortable, well decorated and a decent size. Ask for one of the rooms that overlooks the valley as the views are great. As far as I could tell, all have an outdoor terrace with chairs and table - very relaxing place to enjoy a bottle of wine or two!

The indoor pool is pretty nice, the grounds lovely, friendly staff etc.

You can also get pretty good deals, especially if you book at WOTIF.com

Stayed: February 2008