All reviewssebel kirktonmanor houseindoor poolhigh teahunter valleyrose gardenbuffet breakfastroom was spaciousrolling hillsmain buildinglovely groundstennis courtsmid weeka lovely stayopen fireglass of winewine country
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Stayed on at the Sebel for 2 nights with our company (who often book the hotel for business conferences and training) and was blown away by the high standard of hospitality.
The staff were friendly, obliging & attentive without being intrusive.
My colleagues and I found the cleanliness to be without fault.
The food options at meal times were fantastic (although, more substantial options for lunch meals would have made the difference).
The facilities were of exceptional quality - although the tennis/basketball court may be in need of a cosmetic makeover.
The attention to detail was phenomenal - from the supplies for those in the training room to the flawless service of the waitresses/bar attendant.
Highly recommended should you stop over in the Hunter Valley.

Reviewed 2 April 2009

Went here for a 3 day business conference. Where does one start! This is rated as a 4 1/2 star property..... far from it. It is more like a 2 1/2 star ! Don't get me wrong the location and the layout is fantastic. A nice and charming setting... but that is where is stops. There was a layer of black mould all along the seams of my shower. We had a conference room with no internet connectivity, although we were promised internet connection in it when we booked. The food was absolutely foul. I found hair in the cold meats, there were swarms of fruit flys all over the breakfast buffet - so much so that half our team didn't eat breakfast. We had dinner in the Infuzion restaurant (where an average main course if $35 - $40). It took an hour to get our entree's (and the restaurant was 25% full), our mains all came out another 45 minutes later and cold. Whatever you do don't order the Scampi. It was absolutely tiny and the lemon risotto that came with it was inedible and two people in our team sent it back and ate cheese for dinner.

On one of the day's one of our team overheard the staff in the kitchen referring to our group as 'those bunch of whingers'. I'm really sorry that we wanted half decent food when we were paying prices equivalent to top restaurants in Sydney. If the food was $15 per meal then maybe we would settle for cold inedible food.

Don't even get me started on the staff. Rude, inconsistent and absolutely uncaring. I made a complaint and they tried to give me a bottle of wine and a card to apologise - I would have much preferred decent food and better service, thank you very much.

This place is horrible and absolutely ruined what I was trying to achieve with my team - that is a great team experience in the hunter. Never again Sebel....never again !!

1  Thank SydneysidersSydney
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We got a deal at the Sebel as a last minute thing for a friends wedding. The hotel is centrally located amongst the vineyards. The rooms have magnificent views over the valley. Although the balcony extends across each room meaning that anyone could walk past your room at anytime.

The front desk staff are very quick and efficient. They provided us with a guide book of all the vineyards.

Compared to other hotels in the Hunter Valley who think they are better and charge way above the going rates, the Sebel holds it own and is the perfect getaway for a weekend of indulgence of the grape variety.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I stayed at the Sebel Kirkton Park recently while attending a conference at this hotel. This hotel is in a beautiful rural setting and is an older style building which has been tastefully renovated. Outdoor car parking is provided free of charge at this hotel.

Room - comfortable, spacious and equipped with a large bathroom, CRT television and mini bar.

Check In was smooth and efficient. I booked on the day of my stay and the room rate online at the hotel's own website was $20 cheaper than it had been when I checked the previous week.. and was quite a bit cheaper than some of my colleagues had paid.

Restaurant - I had dinner with customers in the restaurant, a fine dining restaurant where the food and service was quite good, however I would still recommend trying out some of the restaurants at nearby wineries in the Hunter Valley.

Check Out was efficient. A credit card surcharge was levied on the account - this makes it hard to compare the true rates of hotels as most hotels do not charge this additional fee. It seems hard to justify when the room rates continue to increase and the majority of guests settle accounts by credit card.

It was a good place to stay for a conference, but probably would not go there for a romantic getaway.

Reviewed 8 January 2009

This was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Not only was it beautiful but the customer service was first class.

We received an incredibly friendly and informative welcome. The facilities were explained to us and we were given some great advice about the local area. In the restaurant they bent over backwards to ensure we enjoyed our meals. The meals arrived in perfectly good time, however they clearly prided themselves on better service because we were immediately offered free coffees. When my girlfriend's steak was slightly over cooked they were very apologetic, cooked a fresh one immediately (and perfectly) and offered us a free bottle of wine as a goodwill gesture.

These small touches cost the hotel little, but they really impress customers. We will happily stay there again and recommend it to anybody.

In addition, there was a nice indoor pool, a gym, a barbecue area and a lovely patio area with beautiful views. I'm sure there are hotels with slightly better facilities in the world but this was genuinely the best customer service we have ever received. It made me realise that a good hotel is so much more than a clean room, with good facilities and a Corby trouser press! You go to a hotel for a special experience, otherwise you may as well just stay at home! The Sebel Kirkton Park was a friendly, relaxing, beautiful, stress free experience. Customer satisfaction was clearly the main priority as everyone was excellent. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple