“Lovely hotel set in a vineyard with great atmosphere and rooms”
Review of Tower Lodge

Tower Lodge
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Lovely location with great atmosphere despite being brand new.

Great pool and grounds set in its own vineyard to which on gets complimentary tours.

In house restaurant is lovely, five minutes walk the through the vines, but horribly expensive.

Rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated.

Ideally located for exploring the Hunter Valley.

Only the price costs it it's fifth star.

Room Tip: All are excellent
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sm0ky

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Last Spring my wife and I got married at Roberts restaurant and stayed at the lodge for 2 nights in the oriental room. Rooms were very private, clean and very unique. We visited a couple of rooms before settling for the Oriental Suite.

Staff were always smiling and accommodating to our unique needs. The shuttle bus driver stayed up late just in case on our wedding night to take us back to the lodge. The wedding planner kept track of all components and took our input for custom requests. The owner Matt was also lovely no the phone for additional requests and customer service.

While staying at the lodge, I highly recommend getting pre-dinner drinks by the fireplace during the colder time of the year. It's very romantic.
I would highly recommend this lodge for a short getaway in the Hunter or a wedding.
We will be going back for years to come.

My only regret is not being to climb the rock climbing wall! Mind you I didn't ask.

Room Tip: Look at the photos online of each room and pick one best on personal preference. They are all very...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you are getting married in the Hunter Valley, make sure you consider Tower Lodge. We were fortunate enough to celebrate our wedding at Tower and it was stunning. It was beautiful, intimate and elegant. Sean who assisted us with our planning, ensured that everything was taken care of to the highest standard and we were able to enjoy our wedding confident that everything would go to plan. The reception dinner was outstanding and couldn't be better, our guests all commented on how delicious and memorable the food was. Throughout our stay the staff was exceptional, very pleasant, discreet and nothing was too much trouble.
Our family also stayed at the Lodge and the rooms are beautiful, large and comfortable with each room being uniquely furnished. Tower Lodge is a stand out in the Hunter Valley and sure to have another visit from us.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a return visit to tower estate for an overnight as we had a function in the hunter valley. Expensive but happy to pay that for what should be a superior hotel and service. It was raining heavily the weekend we were there and arrived at 2pm to a lovely afternoon tea and a lovely relaxing afternoon watching the rain outside. Room comfortable and evening drinks all very nice.

Woke up the next day looking forward to a good breakfast before the long drive back to Sydney. Seriously disappointed. A plate of continental pastries put on the table - soggy uncooked banana bread, stale croissants, and some ok fruit. The cooked breakfast then arrived minus the advertised spinach, bacon that was almost completely all fat and rind, overcooked scrambled eggs complete with the scrapings from the bottom of the pan and a couple of undercooked looking sausages. I have never sent a breakfast back in my life but this one had to be returned - it was totally inedible.

Really did not expect this from a relais and chateau property

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Donna1303
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Tower Lodge about a year ago, January 2012.

We are used to go to New Zealand and really appreciate small special hotels like the ones we find there. We found Tower Lodge searching the web with recommendations from Relais & Chateaux, what made us think it would nothing but great.

The place is amazing, but service was average - and talking about cleanliness, it was pretty bad.
We tried to use the fitness room, but just like the watch in the wall, most of the (few) equipment there simply didn't work. We stayed there for 5 or 6 nights and the swimming pool area was never cleaned - I mean, never. All the empty bottles we found there on our first day were still there at the check out.

All the care and refinement we found at the 9 Restaurant and at the bar for the pre-dinner drinks were forgotten in way to the rooms and other facilities.

Talking about restaurant 9, it's an incredible experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tukis
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed at Tower Lodge for 1 night as a couple, as part of touring Hunter Valley wineries. Very professional welcome / check in, beautiful & spacious room, really well equipped. Breakfast was good, wide choice, and not slow. Stay was marred by not being able to get a meal other than the Valentines Day 7-course special on offer at the hotel's Roberts restaurant - until we made it clear that we weren't prepared to be pushed into it. Prior to getting the best compromise of a meal in our room (hard fought, I should add) we were offered a 9-course option in the hotel's other restaurant! Because we only stayed one night, the hassle over getting something to eat did colour the stay adversely, and regrettably it is that rather than the good stuff re room etc that we'll tell our friends about. Other comments: staff generally professional & helpful, buildings look as if a good external clean wouldn't go amiss. Would I stay there again - maybe, but only after I'd really made sure there weren't other interesting options, and got assurances on dining options.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon G
SeanByrne1, General Manager at Tower Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us during your trip to the Hunter Valley.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you enjoyed the tour of Towr Lodge upon check in, the surrounds really do amaze you and make you feel like you are a million miles away don't they.

My sincerest apolgies for the inconvenience caused by our Valentines Day offering, on Valentines Day we like to offer something a little different from our normal al a carte menu, my apologies that this did not suit your requirement on this night, but am glad to hear that you were able to be assisted by our staff and have an intimate evening in your room.

Our nine restaurant, is solely a degustation restaurant which previously offered a nine course degustation menu, however now offers a seven course degustation. If you do choose to return, which we sincerely hope that you do, you will have the two options of al a carte at Roberts or degustation at nine. I would also suggest that you book prior to coming as both restaurants are extemely popular to our external guests as well as in house.

We hope to welcome you back again soon

Regards

Reviewed 6 January 2013

My second stay at Tower Lodge was even better than my already incredible first stay. The management has changed, there are a lot of new staff and all are operating at a 5* level that would not be out of place in the very top hotels of the world.

There are only 12 rooms here and all are beautifully appointed with huge amounts of space whilst remaining comfortable and cosy. The decor has a South American feel to it which lends itself beautifully to the surrounding area and keeps the rooms cool (we were there in the middle of a heatwave!)

Breakfast was delicious although my only gripe would be that hot breakfast was not included in the bed & breakfast rate and this was not explained on booking - something that needs to be looked at. Other than that, everything was beautifully made, beautifully fresh and served by wonderful staff.

We were also lucky enough to eat at the superb Nine restaurant within the main Lodge, which I was not able to do on my first stay, and we were blown away. The 7 course degustation menu was a joy at every course; the setting in a tiny cellar made it extra special and, again, the service was awesome with Jonno the Maitre d' looking after us perfectly.

Only other gripe was the lack of internet in the rooms although it was mentioned that they are working on this ASAP so I'm sure it won't be long until this is sorted.

The wines at Tower Estate are delicious - we fell in love with the 2012 Chardonnay - so make sure you also go down to the Cellar Door.

Can't recommend highly enough and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 11 has an amazing high ceiling and room 6 has a nice view of the Cellar Door and surrounding vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Emily,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us, even more so than the first!

I am glad that you spoilt yourself with a trip to dining ecstasy in nine too, I completely agree with you that it "Blows you away", it is an experience to remember and I love the intimacy that nine offers.

I can also give you an update on the internet too, you will be happy to know that this is now fixed! Those wonderful thick walls that make the rooms so cool in summer and warm in winter don't like to let the internet through, but we have resolved this issue now, sorry for any inconvenience this caused during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon, if you were wanting a winter getaway we have some amazing wine specials on at the moment to tempt you, and with the fire crackling away in your lounge room, what more could you ask for!

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Tower Lodge? Share your experiences!