Spicers Vineyards Estate
The Convent Hunter Valley Hotel(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$176
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$156
Hunter Valley Resort(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$96
Hotels.com
Pokolbin Village(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$92
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$143
  • Breakfast included
The Guest House(Pokolbin)
Tower Lodge(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
All reviewsrestaurant botanicabiscottispa aniseevening cocktailscomplimentary cocktailspicers retreatluxury spa suitetrip homeamuse bouchemini baron arrivalopen firewedding anniversaryonsite restaurantlittle extrasmy partnercourse dinner
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Never such excellent service before, all the staff will go beyond the extra mile, even cleaning my partners shoes of clay with out asking!
with the on site restaurant with amazing mouth watering food the setting and amenities are gorgeous.
in built fire place, lovely king bed, air con, and spa bath top off the wonderful room.

Anytime I spoke to reception nothing was to hard for them to track down for us.

I could only say you must experience their hospitality and stay here at least one night to enjoy it the way I did.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

This was our third visit to the hunter valley but the first time we had found a really good place to stay. This is a very small hotel ( currently 8 rooms, with two more being added). It is situated in extensive land/ vineyards set well back from the road and the restaurant is in a separate building so it was marvellously peaceful. We had a huge bedroom with all the little extras that are so appreciated when away from home ( mosquito repellent/ torch for example). Well appointed bathroom too.
Very nice gazebo with sun awning ; and huge outdoor chess and draughts. well designed plunge pool with chaises longues.
Service at dinner and breakfast very attentive and food lovely. Vegetables came out of their own garden , so were always very fresh. We were even treated at breakfast our second day to just- picked Chardonnay grapes.
The 2 day midweek break includes breakfast and dinner one night .
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
SpicersVineyards, Owner at Spicers Vineyards Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Bridget,

What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers. We are so glad you have found somewhere you love to stay in the Hunter and the entire team are all excited to welcome you back again soon! As you mentioned, we harvested our chardonnay on Thursday morning and those little grapes we presented for you to try are now all happily pressed and working their way into a barrel. When you visit next we will have to try the wine once it has been bottled!

Until next time, all the team of Spicers Vineyards Estate and Restaurant Botanica wish you happy travels!

Belinda Stapleton
Managing Director/Owner

Reviewed 11 January 2013

You can't say that a place like Spicers isn't gorgeous in its taste in furniture, nor it's quality!!! But there were questions about certain amenities before we arrived, as it is, in current reno's &yet stil Suprised to find that the Putt Golf Course had disappeared on arrival to boot, there was also No Net on the Tennis Court!! I thought I had dotted my i's before arrival, as it had "already" become apparent that what is advertised&what is actually available for use were 2Diff Things!! As comfy as the bed was, we culdnt see the TV from it, which is v.unusual for a Suite, usualy another TV wuld b visible from the bed, this is a Standard in 5Star Accommodation, even less?? I also felt, immediately upon arrival that swatting a fly wiv her folder on her desk was more important than a Heartfelt Welcome from the Front Desk!! Unfortunately, try as she may to be Professional&Available, we just felt lik keeping to ourselves, because they were unabale to help with a few early requests, as they obviously are only affiliated with a couple of companies &anything else would be competition for them!! On confirming my own Amanda's on the Edge booking, I received more info, ph no's & help from the owner Amanda herslf, in one phone call, than I had since we had Checked-In!! She also, served us throughout the nite, Amazing Amanda, this is a Business Woman leading by example!! Every afternoon we were then asked in a way that made us feel lik we had asked for the world all day, when we hadn't requested one single thing(this was our 5th Stay @the Hunter, we knew where &what we wanted to experience, but would've loved some new Hot Tips!!!) if there was anything else we would be needing before her departure at 6PM..?! we didn't realise that they shut up shop so early, even thou Sharon was always on the go, visible from the Parisian Fab Brekkie, where she insisted ev1 eat outside in the Heat with the Flys, it was funny watching people move indoors or ignore her request totally... We did not receive one Reccomendation to any Wineries &when one of 2 Tours suggested on their site was booked, they couldn't suggest one of so many others operating!!! Frustrating... On arrival there was a card saying they were going to spoil us rotten!!! Yeh, at a price!!! They convinced me to purchase a Cheese Platter on arrival, pitiful&a total ripoff!! Also, complimentary MiniBar was missing a few items &only one was offered back in response to the query., I didn't bother saying anything more... We had stopped at Tempus Two on the way in, thank god& stocked up on decent cheese &had a lovely cocktail @Goldfish!! To arrive at that..!! Not sure why there was no air con up the stairs, until we entered our rooms &why our door wouldn't lock!!! Again, we never mentioned this!! But for the Owner to not introduce herself once &esp Afta all the contact we had had prior to our arrival, was baffling to me!! She made time &offered bottles of water on departure to a man who had only stayed the one night, while we struggled with all our wine&luggage whilst trying to open the door in the Blistering Heat!! On paying balance on Departure, Belinda, magically disappeared &there was a new face on the Desk!! Very Poor Form as an Owner, we could overhear her instructing staff of some duty, surely this could of waited, and she could've introduced herself &checked to see if our stay was to our satisfaction!! I feel that she already knew the answer to this... We were stuck for transfers on the first nite &resorted to driving, on our wine tour a much cheaper accom offered transfers to Restaurants, Hot Tips, u name it, to a lovely couple we had a ball with on my Husbands Birthday!!! As I had been tossing up between Spicers &Chateau Élan, we stopped in there on our way home &was given an amazing Tour of what the Suite would've been &all that was available, around the clock, that we had been looking at &then was passed on to the Day Spa Manager, who blew me away with the Facilities of their Treatment Rooms& again such professionalism &making us feel special&comfortable!! Upon leaving, no luggage in hand, yet the Front Door was opened for us on Departure... Think I know where our next stay will be!! Spicers thank God you had Botanica &its Staff, not sure why you haven't matched this Standard in your Accommodation?!!! Very confusing to say the least....

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear 5Starlovers,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, and I am sorry if you felt your did not get to use facilities you were expecting. After working with some issues in maintaining the putt putt course we previously offered, we determined that for the benefit of our guests, it is better to update facilities to offer great quality over an unmanageable putt putt course. We have actually created a fabulous outdoor games pavilion area with sun roof & outdoor lounge, and life sized chess and checker boards, which was available during your stay. The tennis court will soon be upgraded also following storm damage so the net had been removed to ensure guest safety, and we have ensured that both the tennis court and the golf putt putt are not listed on our website.
We are a bit perplexed by your comment that we only use other operators that are not in competition to ourselves as our team offer a full concierge service and book every and any request our guests present to us. We recommend and support many many Hunter restaurants and service providers and yes, we do have our favourites – for they are the ones that look after our guests the most! On the Monday evening you mention, our team actually did book restaurant transfers for you per your request, only to be asked to cancel them for you when you said your husband changed his mind. Our team are on hand to provide information and advice on the local area 24 hours a day. We do visit our guests around 6pm each evening simply to offer an evening turndown service and to see if there is anything else our reception team can do for you before departing for the day, however as listed in our compendium and described on arrival, there is someone onsite 24/7 who can assist with anything after our reception team members depart, simply by dialling our guest services team on your in-suite phone.

Without trying to respond to every single comment in your review, most importantly I am sorry that I didn’t get the chance to meet you, this seems to have been very important to you. We promote an entire team of people who are passionate and truly interested in looking after our guests, and it has been commented by a review in the past that they were disappointed not to ‘meet the owners’ but the reality is, it is impossible for me to meet with every single guest. We operate a 7 day, 24 hour business and with both a young family and a complex business (hotel, restaurant and vineyard) with a large team, it is impossible for me to present myself to everyone – I absolutely wish I could. But I am very proud to have such a loving team to take great care of our guests and I trust them implicitly with your needs – which has just been demonstrated today when we were awarded the No.2 Hotel in Australia for Best Service on tripadvisor.

5starlovers, in reading over your feedback, recalling your visit and discussing with our team, I think that perhaps our service style is just not yours. Our team did feel they tried to go out of their way to spoil you for your husbands birthday – Sharon placing a candle in his breakfast on the morning of his actual birthday and the restaurant team presenting you with complimentary bubbles on arrival to the restaurant from me for his birthday being just two examples. I know the team would have on any occasion met your requests for bookings of local information any time you asked. Chateau Elan is a lovely large hotel and I know they will take great care of you should you choose to stay there next time – and please feel free to contact me personally for any future assistance you require when next visiting the Hunter Valley -perhaps we can welcome you back to another wonderful dinner experience in Restaurant Botanica. Please feel free to contact me any time on 02 6574 7229 or belinda.stapleton@spicersgroup.com.au

Regards,
Belinda Stapleton - Managing Director/Owner

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We have just spent a night at Spicers Vineyards Estate and would like to share the experience. From the minute we arrived at this beautiful location, we were warmly greeted by the wonderful staff. The whole ambience of the hotel, furnishings, styling and location were excellent. The inclusion of nibbles and bubbles in the mini bar set the standard, but without doubt, the highlight was the fantastic dinner we had in Botanica Restaurant. The food was wonderful, beautifully presented, imaginative and truly memorable.
Breakfast this morning, was delightful - I can honestly say the warm bacon and egg quiches with chilli jam, were divine.

Room Tip: The rooms are all beautifully appointed, and we stayed upstairs, although I do believe there are rooms opening into the grounds, which would be delightful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Wow , what a fantastic place to stay .. We really did not know what to expect but everything exceeds what we thought. The staff are so friendly , suites beautifully designed and relaxing . Complimentary bar with nibbles. .. Everything thought about meticulously .. The food in their restaurant is 5 star standard with fantastic wines on offer. Breakfast in the morning was a lovely surprise, freshly squeezed juices, and homemade quiches, poached eggs and pastries. This can also be delivered to your room .. Well done ..

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfectly situated .
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business