“The best Hunter experience I've had”

Spicers Vineyards Estate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The team at Spicers took care of our group wonderfully last weekend. Spicers was a beautiful and faultless place to stay. The staff were excellent, so warm and so accommodating. Nothing was too difficult for them and you can tell that each one of them loves what they do and working for Spicers. I loved all the personal and thoughtfully chosen touches, from your welcome note and gift to the choice of beautiful spa products. We will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We recently spent 2 heavenly nights at Spicers Vineyard and I am already dreaming of my next stay. I have stayed at a few (5 star) properties in the Hunter Region and this has by far been my favourite in terms of style, facilities and service. The rooms are perfectly appointed - for our mid-winter stay I wanted a fireplace, spa and a comfy place to bunker down and relax - and the Spicers rooms ticked every box and more. Our mid-week package included breakfast, a lovely bottle of Hunter red and marshmallows for the fire - cute, fun little touches which added to the already great value and quality of our stay. Further little added inclusions like a free DVD library and free minibar (yes free minibar!!) were also lovely touches.

But beyond the fantastic rooms the service was really outstanding - with special mentions to Sharon and manager Belinda. Nothing was too much trouble and service was always with a smile. We made a few little requests during our stay which were actioned immediately. Breakfast was truly delish. Sharon also assisted us with a wonderful dinner reservation at Shakey Tables - reading us very well and recommending a style of restaurant that really suited both our personalities and dietary requirements.

Thank you Spicers Team for a lovely mid week treat - we can't wait to stay again!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We spent a 2 night stay here in the depths of July winter. It is in a good position and the level of offering is very good.

It seems that this is a refurbished property linked now to a group "Spicers" hailing from Queensland. The refurbishment shows a few signs of haste and cost-cutting - but mainly because I was looking for them.

Service is impeccable. Small touches abound. Breakfast is taken in the stand-alone Botanica Restaurant and was excellent save for the smoked salmon served with the poached eggs, which was strangely unappetising.

We have one major criticism, easily rectified. The rooms are large suites. They contain neither drawers, shelves in the wardrobe or even (folding) luggage stands. A weird oversight by the interior designer.

Room Tip: Ground floor suites were fine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
SpicersVineyards, Owner at Spicers Vineyards Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Fixitfox,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and sharing your experience. Thank you also for writing your 'Quite Outstanding' review on our restaurant, Botanica!

We purchased the property 5 years ago, then known as The Vineyards Estate and became one of the founding properties within the Spicers group a few years later. Since purchasing the property we have been continuously dedicated to finding areas to improve and upgrade facilities and offerings. I can absolutely assure you that the few items you given for improvements to our great offering are not an oversight or cost cutting exercise in our ongoing refurbishment. Your stay was in one of the original rooms that we built by the original owners, and since purchasing the property, we have extensively renovated the bathrooms, carpeted the rooms so they are lovely and cozy (rather than the previous cold tiles), painted, removed a lot of old fittings and added new beds, bed heads and furniture. I completely agree that the original owners built a large building with large rooms and little thought into items like shelving in the robes etc, however rest assured that Luggage stands have already been ordered and shelving for the Robes is on the top of our list of next item to improve!

Recently we also finished building 4 new Luxury Spa Suites (along with a dedicated Day Spa and all new outdoor Pool and Spa) and when I designed these rooms, we made sure that all of essentials like shelving, draws & built in luggage racks were well thought out from the start. So, by the time you visit next, you will be able to enjoy either the new additions in the King Spa rooms or the option of the brand new Luxury Spa Suites.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback and review and we look forward to welcoming you back again and showcasing the next stage of improvements! If I can be of personal assistance in planning another stay, please feel free to contact me at any time on gm.vineyards@spicersgroup.com.au

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed at Spicers for four nights and loved it. I adored the welcome note left for me on the coffee table! The room was huge, and I loved the open fire (even though it took me a little bit to master!) and the huge spa bath (especially the rubber ducky to keep me company). The bath products were lovely and the heated towel rail was a nice touch. The shower is over the spa, which is very deep, so if you're not particularly nimble you might need to be careful getting in and out. The bed was very comfortable and there was also reverse cycle air conditioning in case the fire wasn't successful. Each evening the very friendly staff brought a complimentary cocktail to my door. It was incredibly relaxing and I enjoyed utilising my time in the room as well as my time out, eating and wine tasting. I stayed in one evening with a free DVD and some cheese I'd bought from the Smelly Cheese Shop, relaxing by the fire and it was so therapeutic. Breakfast was divine, with homemade pastries and quiches, fresh juices, fresh fruit and masterfully poached eggs served with a different side each day. Just lovely, and very filling. Restaurant Botanica also serves lunch and dinner later in the week and it was really nice, although I was disappointed that they didn't serve the tasting menu for one! The staff were fantastic and helped me book a couple of tours. The Estate is in a fantastic location and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I had a downstairs room and felt a tiny bit exposed - perhaps an upstairs room might feel more priva...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Dear Laffle,

What a wonderful detailed review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travelers! Tripadvisor is certainly the most popular way in which our guests find us, so our team very much appreciate you taking the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you back and spoiling you once again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed with my partner. It was relaxing and great without being too pretentious. The spa and fireplace are a nice touch in the rooms as are the free DVD's for hire and the Botanica restaurant which is all top notch food. Loved the quality breakfast and the pumpkin ravioli! Yum! They admitted to overcharging me for the room, by accident, which I didn't realise, and had already credited me back the same day! Great value for money and will consider staying there again.

Dean from Liverpool

1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We chose the Spicers Vineyards Estate based on good reviews. Being our 40th wedding anniversary we wanted somewhere to relax, feel pampered and have nice food and wine for this special occasion. We chose the romantic package which was two nights with a 5 course meal, massage each, and breakfast. We had a modern room with a wood fire, very comfortable bed and modern bathroom. On arrival we were met by a bubbly friendly staff member who set the scene for a wonderful time to follow. She also provided us with two fantastic massages that afternoon which demonstrated her knowledge and expertise. All staff were friendly and nothing appeared to be an effort. The room was nice and comfortable, we were provided with cocktails delivered to our room in the evening, and had room service. The restaurant lived up to its reputation providing a top class breakfast each morning and exceptional evening meal. The drive into the estate is welcoming with pleasant views all around. The estate is centrally located among many wineries which made it easy to venture out for wine tasting and exploring. We recommend this estate if you want to have a relaxing pampered experience with friendly accommodating staff in a nice quiet environment. The only minor suggestion would be to have an in-house guide in the room to explain the facilities (i.e. how to operate the TV, restaurant time for meals).

Dear Bec,

Thank you so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor! We are so happy to have shared in making your anniversary celebrations and are so pleased you enjoyed the property!

I apologise that there was no compendium in your suite during your stay. We recently had a new batch of compendiums delivered and alot were faulty and fell apart, so we had to send them back for replacement. We have now replaced them all so that all rooms have this information readily available. And rest assured, our team are always available day or night on the guest services phone line to assist with any and every enquiry.

We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for another celebration!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I stayed only 1 night however would have loved to stay longer. We booked a mini break package which included dinner and breakfast. Everything was great. Check in was easy and quick. Room was great with open fire place, complimentary mini bar (beer, sparkling wine etc). 3 course meal was great and breakfast in our room was nice to. Room was spacious and clean and modern.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley

Been to Spicers Vineyards Estate? Share your experiences!