Lovely place, one of numerous options amongst the Hunter Valley vineyards in the Pokolbin area. The website is a good starting point, being fair and honest; the welcome is warm and friendly and food and accommodation is excellent.
Pool - small and naturally-set amongst rocks and plants - we saw wallabies hopping in the distance from it! Sun loungers and some shady trees make it a lovely spot after a hard day's wine tasting.
Gardens / estate - lots of opportunities to wander round and admire the vines and the grounds. There's also a 9-hole mini-golf course in good condition and a smart-looking tennis court.
Rooms - lovely; spacious, cool and well equipped (full-sized fridge, toaster, kettle, crockery, etc plus a supply of proper coffee and good biscuits). Large, firm bed; good bathroom with nice smellies; settees; huge TV; log fire though I can't imagine it ever getting cold enough for you to need one.
Restaurant - Splash restaurant is very good, leaning to seafood but offering non-fishy choices too. The wine-list includes the estate's own wines. Friendly service. Only a short stroll from the rooms. Lovely views over the vines. Breakfast is part of the deal and is taken in the main house - excellent cooked breakfast plus all the usual extras and some especially nice poached fruits.
In summary, this is a lovely, peaceful, calm, grown-up kind of place in an area which has lots to do, mostly around wine-tasting but plenty of other things too (eg., cheese tasting). We went in a horse-drawn cart and bumped happily round 5 of the vineyards, tasting as we went. Love the Aussie approach to wine-tasting - free, lots of good advice and tutoring, and no pressure to buy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Personal service & attention to detail in every way! A luxurious Guesthouse, Spicers Vineyards Estate is set amidst its own private vineyard. Every suite features king beds, lounge area, open fireplace, spa en-suite, flat screen TV with CD/DVD and IPod dock, whilst the property boasts gourmet dining experiences at onsite Restaurant Botanica, Salt water pool & spa, guest lounge & boardroom, free wireless broadband and every guest is greeted on arrival with complimentary wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Spicers Vineyards Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spicers Vineyards Estate Hotel Pokolbin
- Vineyards Estate Pokolbin
- Vineyards Estate Hotel Pokolbin
- Spicers Vineyards Estate Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia