My Husband and I stayed here Sunday night, whilst the accommodation was comfortable it was a little older than we expected however was OK for the one night stay, my main complaint was the shower with only half a screen it was difficult to not get water all over the floor, which than makes it a little tricky to get out of the bath (shower over it) even with the mat on the floor.
I would not suggest the restaurant for dinner, whilst the waiter was attentive and gave me a sample of a beer i was not sure about and neither was he (Itchy Green Pants give it a go as it's lovely) the chef seemed to be in the race of his life we ordered our food and less than 10mins pass and our entree arrives. I ordered the squid, very tender but nothing special and my husband had the" Crisp" Pork Belly with Pork Fennel Sausage and a Candy Apple Sauce which was chewy and without a hint of crackling also the sauce was straight from the fridge. We noticed that other tables were receiving there mains very quickly and when our entrees were cleared we asked that our mains wait a while, Whilst the meals took longer which was nice as we had time to chat and have a drink, it was obvious that Chef cooked them when the plates were cleared and left them under the heat lamps, again just warm and average I had the Suppli Saffron Risotto Balls with Mozzarella as main and my husband had the Slow Braised Tuscan Style Lamb shoulder with Potato Gnocchi. When it was freezing outside all you want is a hot meal, we were the last to finish mains and were asked straight away if we wanted dessert which we did not as soon as this was relayed to Chef the lights in the kitchen were turned off and he ran out the door at 8.45pm. Don't let the restaurant stop you from staying as there are plenty of other places to eat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything you are looking for in the Hunter - all at the one resort...* Onsite daily vineyard tours at 9am* Hunter Wine Theatre daily at 11am and 2pm* Adventure Centre has horse & carriage tour, Horse riding, Segway tours and Electric bike hire * Matilda Bay Brewhouse (12 craft beers) * Winetasting Cellars with 34 wines * Hunter Valley Wine School * Fantastic food from our Restaurant * Board games, pool table, 3km walking track * Heavenly Hunter Massage Centre * Pool, tennis, heated spa * Wonderful rooms featuring timber cathedral ceilings * Situated within our own 40 year old vineyards * Owned and operated by the Hele family * And within minutes of the resort... 3 championship golf courses including Cypress Lakes and The Vintage, The Hunter Valley Gardens, cafes, restaurants, hot air ballooning, cheese factories, a chocolate factory, antique stores, a whole shopping village, 3 pampering / massage businesses and over 140 wineries to visit! Or if you prefer, just sit back, relax and finish that book you have been promising to do... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hunter Valley Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Resort Pokolbin
- Hunter Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Valley Resort Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia