Hunter Valley Resort
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Guest House(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia(Pokolbin)
View Hotel
Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
All reviewshorse ridingwine theatrewine tastingspa cottagesegway tourhunter valleywine makingbrew housecellar doorbay brewerycheese factoryrestaurant stafftennis courtsterrybrewhouseaccommodationmatilda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. We really enjoyed the stay. The surroundings are beautiful with nice views of the vineyards and there are a couple of good walking trails. It's situated behind the bluetongue brewery which is handy if you get in late and want to grab a drink afterwards. The rooms are well equipped, very comfy beds and everything you would need for a short weekend away.

2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Our first trip to hunter valley and hunter valley resort was a nice central location. Wouldn't call it a resort as such but it still had all the comfortable amenities and plenty of place for kids to run around.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We just had a 3 night stay at this resort and would recommend it as a central place to stay with great views over vineyards, grassed areas and tennis court adjacent.
We took advantage of the horse riding on site for a trail ride one day and a wine tour by horse and carriage for a full day, through a lot of smaller winery's and food outlets.
Room was spacious and clean with very comfortable beds, with a great outlook from rear patio.
The brewery has been closed for some time now but this is not advertised, as it is just a bar now.
Down side.
What ever you do, go somewhere else for your food.
(a) We all know that food from Bain Marie warmers is always bland and cold, but this offering was this, and worse for the 3 days we were there.
(b) The pizza awards they have displayed on the wall must have been from another chef, as ours was half cooked, tasteless and returned to the kitchen to be removed from the bill.
(c) I ordered mussels with pasta for lunch, and while the pasta was cooked well, the mussels must have been added as a last minute thing as they were cold and spoiled a usually good dish.
But do not let this turn you off the resort, as there is a wonderful restaurant across the road who serve great food.
The staff were very helpful, and did not seem surprised when I replied to their question about my dining experience.

1  Thank Graham T
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visited the Hunter Valley Resort for wine tastings and a meal.
Was without doubt the best service we had in the Hunter Valley the whole day. Cannot wait to get back to hopefully stay at the Hunter Valley Resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie2289
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed here Sunday night, whilst the accommodation was comfortable it was a little older than we expected however was OK for the one night stay, my main complaint was the shower with only half a screen it was difficult to not get water all over the floor, which than makes it a little tricky to get out of the bath (shower over it) even with the mat on the floor.
I would not suggest the restaurant for dinner, whilst the waiter was attentive and gave me a sample of a beer i was not sure about and neither was he (Itchy Green Pants give it a go as it's lovely) the chef seemed to be in the race of his life we ordered our food and less than 10mins pass and our entree arrives. I ordered the squid, very tender but nothing special and my husband had the" Crisp" Pork Belly with Pork Fennel Sausage and a Candy Apple Sauce which was chewy and without a hint of crackling also the sauce was straight from the fridge. We noticed that other tables were receiving there mains very quickly and when our entrees were cleared we asked that our mains wait a while, Whilst the meals took longer which was nice as we had time to chat and have a drink, it was obvious that Chef cooked them when the plates were cleared and left them under the heat lamps, again just warm and average I had the Suppli Saffron Risotto Balls with Mozzarella as main and my husband had the Slow Braised Tuscan Style Lamb shoulder with Potato Gnocchi. When it was freezing outside all you want is a hot meal, we were the last to finish mains and were asked straight away if we wanted dessert which we did not as soon as this was relayed to Chef the lights in the kitchen were turned off and he ran out the door at 8.45pm. Don't let the restaurant stop you from staying as there are plenty of other places to eat.

2  Thank Melissa L