“excellent,great staff,food wine and beer ,cheese.”

Hunter Valley Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
australia
“excellent,great staff,food wine and beer ,cheese.”
Reviewed 14 March 2009

accomadation,lovely beautiful views of country side, every yhing you need is right there,the staff could not be any more helpful or friendly short drive to shops and gardens

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Midlands, England
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I agree with earlier reviews, the standard of accommodation was not as expected - we got a very good ttwo night deal, and compared to other prices in the area wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want to have paid any more. Breakfast was included which was a bonus and was very good, The restaurant looked overpriced so we didnt use it. Staff were very helpful and booked us on the daily wine trip was excellent fun and worth doing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Dubbo
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I had my sevenieth birthday party at the Hunter Reort Pokolbin in February 2009
Right from the word go, I felt I was the resorts priority, they followed up on all my requests & questions, were patient with alterations & were spot on with accomodation. The staff from the day I made the booking till the last guest staggered out were patient, unobtrusivly effecient, warm friendly and more than accommodating.
I have recieved many congratulations on my choice of venue.

Stayed February 2009
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Casuarina is a LOT of fun. Perhaps it is a little tacky as previous reviews have mentioned, but it is tacky in a very funny way.

We were exploring the vineyards in Hunter Valley and Casuarina seemed like a good place to stay thanks to its great location.

We checked in to the Moulin Rouge room and were very pleased with the large and comfortable room. It was of course decorated in the style of Moulin Rouge - lots of red and black, a hot tub and chaise longue in the lounge area and plenty of Moulin Rouge film memorabilia on the walls. Sadly there was no Absinthe.

Bizarrely the hotel leaves some lacy underwear for guests to try on, however it was the largest size underwear I've ever seen in my life and the thought of the obese ('Shallow Hal'-esque) woman needed to fill these giant lacy scanties made me quite queasy.

Anyway.

The lounge area opens on to a terrace where you can sit and enjoy a glass of wine whilst overlooking rows of vines. It is also a great place to enjoy evening dinner, or simply some locally produced cheese, bread and olives as we did on our visit.

There is a small, well-kept pool that we had to ourselves - a great way to cool down after a hot day travelling and tasting wine.

But let's face it, you can't help but get frisky in a place like this. Luckily we had a lot more privacy than an earlier reviewer and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. However, we were left with a nagging suspicion that Casuarina is the region's number one location for kinky swingers' parties.

Not a place to visit if you are not with your partner (in fact, I imagine it would be incredibly depressing), but an hilarious experience if you are.

• Liked — The ironic humour
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Travelalot75
Reviewed 9 January 2009

My husband and I stayed here for the last 2 nights of an amazing month seeing family and travelling around NSW. Unfortunately we were so disappointed that we talked about leaving the hotel soon after we had seen our room to check into somewhere else! However as we had already overpaid for our stay here we decided to stay put!

The room was clean unless you looked into the corners but was really dated and had expected so much more for what we paid and seen from the brochure we booked it from. The room had loads of flies and mozzies which we had to spend the first 30 minutes getting rid of before we went for some lunch at the bar.

After a hot drive I ordered a diet coke which was given to me in a small bottle. When asking for some ice and a glass I was told that he didn't serve coke with a glass as they were for cocktails and I would have to use a paper cup!!!! I must have looked so aghast for what seemed like forever as I couldn't really comprehend his answer as there were loads of glasses - we were in a bar after all - that he gave me a glass with some ice!

We decided to stay at the resort for an evening meal in the restaurant due to the convenience and the food and wine were very good. However the next day we ate at the resort over the road.

We had pre-paid for breakfast which was pretty poor for the price.

• Liked — Afternoon swim
  • Disliked — Having to clean the pool to rid of the leaves etc before swimming, dated room, attitude of bar staff,
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Travelalot75
dubbo
Reviewed 18 December 2008

Clean, quality spacious accommodation. Friendly staff and beautiful atmosphere. Booked for a relaxing weekend away from the kids with friends and thats exactly what we had.

Stayed November 2008
SYDNEY
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I've travelled quite a bit and I can honestly say I've never seen a more overpriced place. I was shocked! I payed almost $300 dollars per night for what is essentially a tired old motel. The location is quite nice and some of the staff are friendly (the young man behind the bar was just wonderful) but that's where it stops.
I found some black substance ( I don't want to think what) in the shower and bath.
The sheets felt like hession bags. The only place I could play CDs was in the tv/dvd player which had the same sound quality as a prison loudspeaker system.
The dinner was quite nice but the breakfast was only edible because we were hung-over enough to tolerate bacon cooked yesterday and dripping in fat, what could have been eggs and service without a smile or indeed even so much as a "good morning".
It took me 45 minutes to check-out as there was an ever growing line of people with complaints formed before me.
I could go on but I'd rather not spend any more time at that place even if only in mind.

• Liked — The friends I was with.
  • Disliked — The price.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
6 Thank TEEJAY08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Hunter Valley Resort? Share your experiences!