“Brown water and lots of flies”

Hunter Valley Resort
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We stayed at this resort in April 2009 in one of the cabins. The room was overcrowded for 2 adults and 2 children, had flies and my wife was bitten quite badly. It was a shock to find the water coming out of the taps was brown and undrinkable because it came from a local dam. We had to go over to a wash room to fill up a jug of water to drink and use for brushing teeth. The tap water left a film on your face after washing. The staff were very helpful, the wine tour very good and the breakfast was good although a little overpriced. We don't think this is very good for families.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jazz76

Reviewed 15 April 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Hunter Resort for 3 nights in March 2009 as part of our honeymoon. We had travelled down from a hotel in Blue Mountains area (where the service and accomodation was decidely second rate) and were hoping for something a bit more memorable! We were not disappointed! The reception at the Hunter Resort was fantastic - the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was very nice with views out over the valley. We ate in the Resort's restaurant where the food was excellent and again the staff were very welcoming and knowledgeable about the area.
There is alot to do and see in the Hunter Valley and again the staff were happy to help us make arrangements - eg wine tours and a balloon flight amongst others.
We used the hotel pool and played golf nearby, but there were several other amenities available - you could hire bikes, tennis racquets or use a guest lounge or join an in-house wine appreciation course. The resort also has its own brewery (Bluetongue beers).
We really enjoyed ourselves here and it was the quality of the staff and amenities that helped make our stay so lovely. After the previous disappointment, it was just a pity that we were only there for 3 nights.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2009

accomadation,lovely beautiful views of country side, every yhing you need is right there,the staff could not be any more helpful or friendly short drive to shops and gardens

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I agree with earlier reviews, the standard of accommodation was not as expected - we got a very good ttwo night deal, and compared to other prices in the area wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want to have paid any more. Breakfast was included which was a bonus and was very good, The restaurant looked overpriced so we didnt use it. Staff were very helpful and booked us on the daily wine trip was excellent fun and worth doing.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I had my sevenieth birthday party at the Hunter Reort Pokolbin in February 2009
Right from the word go, I felt I was the resorts priority, they followed up on all my requests & questions, were patient with alterations & were spot on with accomodation. The staff from the day I made the booking till the last guest staggered out were patient, unobtrusivly effecient, warm friendly and more than accommodating.
I have recieved many congratulations on my choice of venue.

Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Casuarina is a LOT of fun. Perhaps it is a little tacky as previous reviews have mentioned, but it is tacky in a very funny way.

We were exploring the vineyards in Hunter Valley and Casuarina seemed like a good place to stay thanks to its great location.

We checked in to the Moulin Rouge room and were very pleased with the large and comfortable room. It was of course decorated in the style of Moulin Rouge - lots of red and black, a hot tub and chaise longue in the lounge area and plenty of Moulin Rouge film memorabilia on the walls. Sadly there was no Absinthe.

Bizarrely the hotel leaves some lacy underwear for guests to try on, however it was the largest size underwear I've ever seen in my life and the thought of the obese ('Shallow Hal'-esque) woman needed to fill these giant lacy scanties made me quite queasy.

Anyway.

The lounge area opens on to a terrace where you can sit and enjoy a glass of wine whilst overlooking rows of vines. It is also a great place to enjoy evening dinner, or simply some locally produced cheese, bread and olives as we did on our visit.

There is a small, well-kept pool that we had to ourselves - a great way to cool down after a hot day travelling and tasting wine.

But let's face it, you can't help but get frisky in a place like this. Luckily we had a lot more privacy than an earlier reviewer and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. However, we were left with a nagging suspicion that Casuarina is the region's number one location for kinky swingers' parties.

Not a place to visit if you are not with your partner (in fact, I imagine it would be incredibly depressing), but an hilarious experience if you are.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 January 2009

My husband and I stayed here for the last 2 nights of an amazing month seeing family and travelling around NSW. Unfortunately we were so disappointed that we talked about leaving the hotel soon after we had seen our room to check into somewhere else! However as we had already overpaid for our stay here we decided to stay put!

The room was clean unless you looked into the corners but was really dated and had expected so much more for what we paid and seen from the brochure we booked it from. The room had loads of flies and mozzies which we had to spend the first 30 minutes getting rid of before we went for some lunch at the bar.

After a hot drive I ordered a diet coke which was given to me in a small bottle. When asking for some ice and a glass I was told that he didn't serve coke with a glass as they were for cocktails and I would have to use a paper cup!!!! I must have looked so aghast for what seemed like forever as I couldn't really comprehend his answer as there were loads of glasses - we were in a bar after all - that he gave me a glass with some ice!

We decided to stay at the resort for an evening meal in the restaurant due to the convenience and the food and wine were very good. However the next day we ate at the resort over the road.

We had pre-paid for breakfast which was pretty poor for the price.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Travelalot75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Hunter Valley Resort? Share your experiences!