Hunter Valley Resort
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Guest House(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia(Pokolbin)
View Hotel
Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
All reviewshorse ridingwine theatrewine tastingspa cottagesegway tourhunter valleywine makingbrew housecellar doorbay brewerycheese factoryrestaurant stafftennis courtsterrybrewhouseaccommodationmatilda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Having read some of the reviews on tripadvisor I didn't know what to expect when we arrived at the Hunter Resort, especially as it was a glum rainy day. We were able to check in early at 11.30am and the receptionist was very helpful and informative. There was easy parking outside our room with a few steps down to it.

The room despite being quite basic was better than expected. It was large and looked like it had recently been tarted up with the pine wood walls painted in cream and a new carpet. It was a little dark but I think this was mainly due to the large canopy over the patio area, which most of the rooms seem to have (plus the rain clouds!). It had a really comfy king bed (not 2 beds put together) and lovely linen. There was a flat screen tv on the wall with DVD player and DVDs available to borrow free of charge from reception, where you could also use the PC for $5 per hour.

Again the bathroom was clean, if not a little basic with the shower over the bath.

We didn't notice a problem with the discolouration of water and if we had, there was a jug of filtered water left in the fridge (with info on how to refill it) and 2 small complimentary bottles of water.

Part of our deal included a Wine tour or a talk in the Wine theatre. We opted for the latter which was interesting and fun. We tried the beer tasting in the cafe and ate in the evening at the San Martino restaurant which was excellent - topped off with the best cheese plate all holiday!

I do like to stay in nice, good quality hotels and have realised writing these reviews that if I HAD to choose to between immaculately presented accommodation and good service / pleasant staff I would always go for the latter. We drove past several very smart looking "chain" hotels in the Hunter Valley a category that Hunter Resort wouldn't fall into, however if you are looking for something that is a bit different with good service then I would recommend the Hunter Resort.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DottyUK
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Had a great time swimming, the massages are to die for. The rooms are clean quite and very comfortable. Ate way too much food in the Brewery and the Restaurant, but isn't that what we go away for to over indulge. :-)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

If you like a nice standard of accommodation -don't stay here! This hotel was recommended to us by Kuoni and I wish they hadn't! The only good thing about our stay here was that it was only 2 nights!
The rooms were like cheap motel rooms, very 'rustic' to be polite. The bathrooms need updating and after rain the water runs brown in the tap because they don't have mains supply (some people might find this charming, I hated not being able to have a bath in the muddy water!).
The 'resort' has a bar, which closed at 6 and a restaurant that felt like we were having dinner in someones lounge (not in a good way!) and the service wasn't great.
Whilst there, we did take the excellent wine tour and met lots of people staying in other hotels/lodges who spoke very highly of their accommodation. It's a shame that we couldn't do the same. I couldn't wait to leave.
In summary -look for somewhere else, this place is a big disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank superwrong
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Bloody awful - best way to describe the place.

We were there for a wedding and on the first night waited for over 2 hours for the main course. They were woefully understaffed and it was clear the staff wanted to be somewhere else.

Everything was too much trouble, getting a drink could take 20 minutes, getting change the same time, the drinks were expensive and the food very average.

The themed rooms are a joke - our room had major wood rot in the entrance door!!!

There are many, many better places to syat - AVOID.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank ADVRIDERAustralia
Reviewed 5 November 2009

My husband and I had been going here for 14 years and got married here also, we became regulars for our anniversary and it was a very special place for us, we only get away from our young children once a year, unfortunately its not special for us anymore. We would book our date months in advance, last October we attended not expecting any problems, we were greated by a rude receptionist (we had never seen before) and at the end of the conversation she abruptly indicated that the restaurant was now closed on Tuesdays and we would have to go somewhere else, we were very dissapointed that no one had called us before attending we could have changed the day! She was so rude and uncaring, in tears I asked to speak with Maurine and was denied this. We decided that we would not stay at went to Peppers, which was beautiful. My husband and I are still upset that no one contacted us to apoligise after leaving messages, we were again told no contact could be made with the owners as they had just split up and did not wish to talk to anyone! They are business owners and this is terrible service.

After staying elsewhere at 5 start locations in the hunter and Sydney I can say now that I agree with previous reviews its looking tired and old.

Think the business started to suffer when they started their catering business, sorry but would never go back there.

We had also booked for my husbands birthday with 4 couples hoping things would have change but cancelled that just recently for another location, we are not willing to forgive and forget.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple