“Nice location, ok service”

Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
sydney
“Nice location, ok service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Just returned from a 2 day trip to Hunter valley with my family. Did a lot of research on tripadvisor and finally decided on this one. Thought I should really make some contribution since i've been using tripadvisor for a while. Overall the hotel is pretty good. The rooms are clean and pretty big for a standard room. However, the staff and the check in process was the lowlight of the trip. I booked thru hotelroom.com via Tripadvisor. On the booking, i mentioned there will be 3 guests in one room and i request a check in time of noon. When I arrived for check in around 1 o'clock, not only they had no idea what my requests have been, but I was also told that the room won't be ready until after 2. (I actually didn't really expect them to give me the room at 1 but i thought i would try) Fine, we left for lunch and then returned at about 215 and then I was still told that because there was a full check out on the day, our room still wouldn't be ready at least for another hour! I would have much appreciated if they could actually tell me in the first place rather than wasting my time going back and forth. I got more annoyed when I saw other people picking up their keys but our rooms somehow were not ready. They said they couldn't give us any other rooms and that they could only offer us complimentary drink at the bar while we wait. Well Why would a care about a few complimentary drink after driving all the way there and wasting my time waiting for our rooms. Anyways, we had to go to the Hunter Valley gardens (luckily it was only about a 1 min drive) to spend some time and only to find out the garden for some reason was closing at 4 and we only had about 1.5 hours to visit. The staff was polite but unhelpful most of the time. I wasn't given a map of the hotel facilities until I asked and they weren't really interested in giving any advice for first time visitor.
Overall, the nice things are: good location, rooms are clean and nice, air conditioned, bathrooms are clean, half price tickets to the Hunter valley gardens. Disappointments: No broadband service in room, staff, check in and check out time (i don't think I have stayed in a hotel with check out time of 10, or maybe it's just me). Will I return? Probably not, i'd rather try some other hotel next time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Earthpower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

Stayed at the Priviledge Room for two nights, and the first thing we saw was the microwave & the coffee machine. It was great! However, we only got 2 knifes & 1 fork. We let the reception know about this missing fork though.

Then to the bedroom, king-sized bed but not comfy enough for us (because we prefer medium-firm mattress). The pillows - they were the worst pillow ever! Bring your own pillow if you wish to stay here. Got headache when we woke up, almost ruined our holiday.

We checked the wardrobe and found 1 bathrobe only; called the reception and they gave us another bathrobe - no issue here.

Didn't eat breakfast here so can't comment... Had a look at the swimming pool area, i think it was quite nice.. We found out that there was a free wireless internet in the library area, which was great.

The location itself is great, close to the Hunter Valley Gardens & its small village, will definitely stay here again. But I will make sure I'll bring my own pillows :-)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank viaticus
NSW Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

The good things:- Close to the gardens with Christmas lights.
The bad things:- worst pillows ever, had a headache and sore neck the next day, milk in mini bar was open, the room accommodated 4 but only enough glasses, towels etc for 2 people and we booked for 3, hate that! the tiled area in the entrance to room was dirty, we then questioned whether the bathroom had been cleaned then, so we wore thongs in the shower and when walking around, the sheer curtain in room had black marks all along it, there was no bin liner in the bin, the decor wasn't too bad, however they need to update tv's not flat screens here and no broadband access in your room, that was odd. Got woken up at 7 o'clock by someone blowing leaves, which was very noisy!! Didn't eat breakfast here. The pool area was nice, however the pool was a bit old looking and the depth of pool needs to be more clearly marked. The restaurant looked nice and the staff super friendly however we only had a few drinks. The driveway/entrance to reception needs repair, holes everywhere.... Would not recommend based on the pillows, unless you take your own of course!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank iamsuey
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

This was my first time staying in a larger hotel in the Hunter Valley & I was impressed by the service. Unfortunately our first night was marred by an 'act of god' in the shape of large thunder storm which created some difficult problems for the staff in terms of power failures etc. It was disappointing that some electrical faults were not fixed during the duration of our stay but in general the staff were cheerful & went out of their way to help on other issues. Rooms are comfortable & I enjoyed the ease of access to the pool & other amenities. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank faulk64
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

We only stayed one night here in a Superior Room but the room was clean and the King size bed was comfy. The sunken bath with Atrium roof was great to relax, staring at the stars. We had our own courtyard but, but anyone could access this on their way to the Bar/Buffet. The lounge has a big open fire where you can "wine" down with a glass or two. The staff were great & very helpful. The Hunter Valley Gardens are right next door and you can get your tickets at 1/2 price at reception than at the gardens themselves. This place is Adjacent to Tempus Two Winery and just a 100 meter walk to the Hunter Valley Cheese Factory located at McGuigan Wines Cellar door. While you’re here you’ll have to go to Hunter Valley Steakhouse at the Grand Mercure and go to The Blue Tongue Brewery, Petersons Champagne House and Potter’s Brewery.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CharlieSydney
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

We stayed at this hotel in the Hunter Valley Gardens, Pokolbin - not far from Cessnock. I was generally impressed with everything though for over $300 a night I think the room was lacking. Quite small really and nothing to write home about. The most endearing this about the room was the nice bathroom. A huge sunken bath tub with a glass roof overhead was good fun. Only drawback was the dim lighting.

Cooked room service breakfast was woeful in the morning and seemed to have been just plucked off the buffet and put on a plate.

The location is great being within stumbing distance of Harrigans Pub (The place to go for a drink) and several other wineries. Look the Hunter Valley isn't the place to go for a cheap break away - but we will certainly be returning to the area in the future. Probably not the GMHVG though.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Beach8um
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed here for two nights on the 21st and 22nd March 2009. We were here to see the Chris Isaak concert at the nearby Hope Estate winery so due to the demand were only able to get a standard room and there was a two night minimum stay (not that we were complaining as there are plenty of wineries nearby). We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room. It was on the second floor and had it's own balcony. the fittings and decor matched that of reception, the bar, lounge and restaurant (chic country club). The bathroom had a pebble feature wall but the real highlight was the massive shower head (certainly not environmentally friendly but again we're not complaining). The rooms also had a very handy feature which I have only seen at one other hotel (in Singapore) and that was a dimmer switch for the bathroom so you could leave a soft light on during the night so that you don't need to switch on a bright light if going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. We loved the room even if we were given two doubles instead of a king or queen. On the downside and it may sound minor but given the amount of things to do in the area there was very limited tourist info in the rooms. Staff were very helpful and gave us a detailed guide book and map but how hard would it be to leave the latest Hunter Valley Guide in each room? We had breakfast buffet both days which was fine but it was $32 each. We have an Accor Advantages card so got 50% off and if it were not for this we probably would not have had breakfast in the hotel. We had lunch at the Steakhouse restaurant which is in the hotel and the filet mignon served to my wife was extremely tender and worth every cent. I had a minor problem with the amount of flys in the restaurant and they really detracted from breakfast and the meal but I noted this on the comment card and we noticed on our final day that the doors were closed and the flys had dissappeared. The lounge and bar are very relaxing and on the Saturday night they had a live musician. mcGuigan winery is about 20metres away, Tempus Two/Roche about 100 metres and Hope Estate about a kilometre. The hotel also sells half price tickets to the Hunter Valley Gardens which saves you about $10 each. They are about 10 minutes walk away. The gardens and pool area is well maintained. As we were leaving we asked to look at one of their superior rooms and so the staff member on duty cut us a pass card to go and have a look. He explained that standard, superior and deluxe rooms are all exactly the same-No difference in layout or size- the real difference is in the bathroom- superior has a sunken bath with skylight and deluxe has a spabath. As above were were impressed enough with the standard room and the entire property and would definitely stay here again. We're already planning our next trip !

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ozcookie1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley Resort
Hunter Valley Resort
#8 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens? Share your experiences!