Carriages Boutique Hotel & Vineyard
US$345
The Convent Hunter Valley Hotel(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$176
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$156
Hunter Valley Resort(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$96
Hotels.com
Pokolbin Village(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$92
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
US$143
Tonic Hotel(Pokolbin)
Priceline
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbreakfast basketeach morninggatehouse cottageborder colliebreakfast delivered to your doorverandah suitesvisited carriageshunter valleycommunal roomdinner arrangementsopen firepicnic basketaward winning winesrelaxed weekendown winesecluded locationperiod furniture
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My rating is based purely on value. We stayed here over the Easter holidays after spending a night at Peppers Convent next door. We ended up paying just shy of $300 for the night at Carriages, which was quite a bit more than Peppers Convent. Comparing the two, Carriages, though lovely wasn't the best value, all things considered. The rooms are lovely and very clean. But the rooms are all lined up next to each other. There were a few families staying and shared the same veranda, so you could hear other people and children from your room. Which may not suit couples looking for a quite break in the Hunter Valley. Breakfast is served in a basket to your door. Again lovely, but wasn't great value for the price tag. The location is great and the owners were very friendly. It's a beautiful setting also. If you can get a good price online, this hotel is a great option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kakenn
BexVictoria, General Manager at Carriages Boutique Hotel & Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear kakenn,

thank you for your lovely words about our team, the rooms, the setting & service here at Carriages.

I am sorry we didn’t get the chance to discuss room rates, as you booked via a third party online site – but the explanation is very simple – like most other hotels Carriages operates different rates for Midweek and Weekend stays. You stayed at Peppers on a midweek night, and were guests of Carriages on a weekend night.

It is worth noting that by booking directly on our website [www.thecarriages.com.au] you’ll always receive the lowest rate guaranteed 365 days of the year. We do offer competitive rates and are confident that our pricing is at the right mark. (Incidentally our rates are lower than Peppers Convent for both midweek and weekend stays). We also post special offers each month on our Specials page.

We thank you for your comments as every day we work on delivering first class service & experiences for our guests and it's extremely important to us to have all elements right.

And thanks again for choosing to stay at Carriages, we appreciate there are many choices when visiting wine country. We would love to welcome you back to stay and I would be most grateful if you would contact me personally on stay@thecarriages.com.au or my direct line 02 4998 7591 when you are planning your Hunter Valley getaway.

With all good wishes,
Rebecca

Reviewed 22 April 2014

A large room, basically furnished but clean and a new experience with rooms leading onto a large veranda and garden. Breakfasts served in a basket, totally appropriate for the location and enjoyed by the family. The kids enjoyed walking in the vineyards and exploring the large garden, "playing" tennis on the court and swimming ( a little cold) as well as the hunt for Easter bunny goodies on Sunday morning.
Well worth the visit and would recommend to families or couples wanting a quiet romantic setting well within reach of all attraction of the Hunter Valley.
Would have appreciated wifi in the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here over a weekend for a wedding nearby. Lovely setting & the room was OK but not as lovely as I'd expected from the photos. I am fussy I know - I stay in lots of hotels for business and have high standards. My gripes were - very little hanging space or hangers, nowhere to put toiletries in the bathroom (I moved a table into the bathroom to hold our stuff). On the other hand, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast basket was very nice although given there are lots of jam shops nearby why did they have those horrible little packaged jams? Would I stay here again? No - I'd go Pepper's convent, which is nearby and I had a look at the rooms there - they were beautiful!!

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room - I would recommend downstairs as the stairs were narrow & rickety
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marion D
BexVictoria, General Manager at Carriages Boutique Hotel & Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Marion D,

First of all I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing Carriages when travelling to Australia. We're delighted that you enjoyed the boutique hotel’s setting in the gardens of the vineyard, the convenient location, comfortable bed, and breakfast baskets.

We noted your title and are naturally disappointed to learn that Carriages didn’t deliver exactly what you were looking for.

Being an historic country house, we take pride in having a strong refurbishment and maintenance program to ensure that our product is up-to-date, whilst retaining its heritage and authenticity. I am very sorry that you found the hanging/storage space lacking, and we have taken your feedback on board.

Every day the team works passionately to make every stay an excellent one, so we can only apologise that things underwhelmed you in some areas.

We would be very appreciative of liaising directly as its really important for us to understand your feedback (my direct line is +61 2 4998 7591 and e-mail is stay@thecarriages.com.au).

We certainly hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the future.

With all good wishes,
Rebecca

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Carriages Boutique Hotel for the second time - and we loved every single minute of it. The location, the accommodation, the grounds, the service, the breakfast, the WINE - all perfect. We really couldn't fault a thing (rare) and we'll continue to come back again and again. Definitely one of the prettiest parts of the Hunter Valley too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra Z
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Carriages Boutique Hotel and Vineyard with a large group of girlfriends for an early 40th Birthday celebration/weekend away.

From my initial email the service was outstanding and Rebecca responded promptly to any questions I had, nothing was too much trouble.

We were lucky enough to have the entire property to ourselves for the
weekend, but even if you were booking one or two rooms it would be equally as lovely.

The breakfast basket that is delivered to your room each morning is delicious, and so generous - it arrives filled with cereal, yoghurt, bread, croissants, muffins, fruit and juice. The vast verandah of the main house is the perfect location to enjoy your breakfast overlooking the well cared for grounds - or to spend time reading a book and relaxing.

The rooms are generous and clean, the pool refreshing and the staff friendly and helpful.

Thank you Rebecca and team for providing the ideal location celebrate all weekend long, we all had a wonderful time and can't wait to return in winter to make use of the log fire's.

Room Tip: Verandah suites are lovely and spacious and the Garden Cottage private and peaceful
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends