We stayed here for 4 nights with 3 other couples from Saturday to Wednesday, whilst doing a wine tour of the Hunter Valley. We had a fabulous time - good friends; some great wines and beautiful (if expensive) meals.
The apartment set-out suited us perfectly, with a kitchenette and living area. We all went to one room for breakfast (we bought up at a supermarket at Cessnock on the way from Newcastle airport), and to one room in the evening for drinks (more wine!) and nibbles. The kitchen had a toaster and coffee plunger; cutlery and crockery (4 wine and 4 champagne glasses - essential in a wine-producing area!); and a large fridge/freezer. We walked out to get takeaway Thai from somewhere nearby one night (and it was excellent), and we had locally bought (and in some cases, locally made) cheeses and pates at the table and chairs outside, watching the sun go down over the lake, turning it golden. The place has a nice bush ambiance, and we saw kangaroos and horses while we were there.
The living room, too, was comfortable, with a flat-screen TV, dining table and chairs, and couch, arm chair and coffee table.
The bed was clean and comfortable, with a wardrobe, bedside tables, and even electric blankets for those colder nights. We had no insect problems.
The bathroom was large, with a shower (good temperature and pressure) over the spa. We didn't try the spa, but another of the couples we were with did try theirs and had no complaints. The toilet was behind the door to the bedroom (a second door led to the living area). Some toiletries were provided.
The location was great - very central to all the wineries, and within walking distance of some shops and a couple of the wineries.
There's a tennis court on-site. Based on other TripAdvisor reviews, however, we didn't eat at the resort.
What let our unit down most was the fact that it is in desperate need of a refurb. They'd replaced the picture on the bedroom wall with a smaller sized painting for whatever reason, but left the adhesive Velcro on the wall sized for the larger painting. There was something over the vanity basin that had been removed (maybe a hairdryer?), but the metal cradle was still screwed to the wall. There were a number of light bulbs that needed to be replaced. And there was a massive crack in the fibro/plasterboard(?) wall that went all around the bathroom.
To be fair, the management are refurbishing the rooms - a good thing too as our unit was really suffering. You can see the things I've described in the attached photos.
That said, after refurbishment, this accommodation should be better than "okay", as it has a lot going for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is a picturesque retreat set on 25 acres of tranquility in the heart of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. With many cellar doors and attractions such as Hunter Valley Gardens within easy strolling distance, Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the unbeatable location to base yourself.Marvel at the truly stunning views over local vineyards and Brokenback Ridge – you might even enjoy a visit from the local native fauna and birdlife. This picturesque backdrop is the perfect setting for a relaxing and peaceful stay in the Hunter Valley. Self-contained Studio, One and Two Bedroom Villas. Take some time-out in our air-conditioned studio, one or two bedroom apartments sprawled across the landscaped gardens of the property. All apartments feature private patios looking out to the 25 acres of peaceful hotel grounds and vineyards. To enhance your stay at Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill, our Superior Rooms have been upgraded with new beds, LCD TVs, WiFi access, modern kitchen and bathroom fittings and soft furnishings. The perfect way to finish a great day of wine tasting and sightseeing is to sit back on your veranda and with a cheese platter and glass of wine or sink down and relax in your in-room spa tub. Take a stroll to the local restaurants or cook a romantic meal (full kitchen facilities available in one and two bedroom apartments). Guests are also welcome to relax by the hotel’s outdoor heated swimming pool, play a game of tennis, or have a BBQ in our undercover BBQ area surrounded by lush gardens. Guests can awake to a delicious breakfast or relax over a superbly prepared meal served at the onsite cafe & restaurant (under new management). Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the ideal location for a romantic break or a trip with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK) and Hotels.com so you can book your Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Hotel Pokolbin
- Pokolbin Hill Chateau
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Greater Newcastle, Australia