“Go for their steak”

Villa du Pays
Ranked #13 of 77 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Villa du Pays restaurant sits among the spectacular grounds of Leogate Estate. Taking pride in serving you modern Australian cuisine and to compliment your meal, we will be proud to serve you our beautiful Leogate Estate award winning wines.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We dined there on a Monday night. There were not many restaurants opened on a Monday night in the Hunter Valley. There dining room had a open fire. The entrees were not as memorable than 700gm ribeye steak on the bone we shared. The steak was cooked medium rare the way we liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the black tiles on which the food were served on. Service was good and prompt.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had the pleasure of my second visit to Villa since it had opened last year. Pleased to see the same level of attentive and friendly service experienced soon after opening has continued on.

Again, Villa have quite a range within their menu, and everything is presented just beautifully. Escargot with black garlic, truffle and mushrooms was dynamic. Pork belly with scallops and pea mousseline was delicate, I loved the savoury pea with sweet crisp Nashi. I loved the added texture of wattle seed coating on the venison.

Villa is a little bit fancy, featuring more unusual meats and dishes, and so, is on the higher side in regards to price. The decor can also seem a little overdone to some as mentioned in other reviews, but hey, what else is going to help stand out from the usual white, timber and neutral clean lines we all see everywhere else. Definitely an upper class vibe here at Villa that's you're thing.

If you're a visitor to the Hunter, try the Pierre's sparkling as a pre-dinner, the cellar door is far off the beaten track, and is a top drop. Mind you the owners recently knocked off a high ranking award in London for one of their new wines, so probably not a bad idea to try a house made tipple also.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We have been here a couple of times. The service was excellent
The food is fresh and full of flavour,I had vennison,pork belly and scallops and tried snails for the first time and it tasted amazing.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys fine dining.

1  Thank Snookie80
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had Dinner here on Saturday night after having visited the cellar door for the first time earlier that morning. As soon as they mentioned the owners are cattle farmers and there's a dry age meat room my partner booked us in for dinner.

I would like to point out that my sister is vegetarian, so it makes it hard sometimes to book a nice restaurant that specializes in meat that will also suitably cater for a vegetarian (like it's SOOOOOO hard!). I was extremely impressed with their vegetarian options as well as their flexibility and willingness to makes changes to menu items so they would suit.

The service was excellent! It was a busy night, most tables were occupied, but the staff were in control, attentive and friendly. They were well-spoken and knowledgeable without being over the top posh or stuck-up.

The decor is not my cup of tea - as in I wouldn't have it in my home - but it was lovely and comfortable to dine in! I didn't find it overly tacky or offensive and thought it worked well.

The food was excellent, and I didn't find it to be over-priced. After a big weekend of over-indulging we opted for just a main and dessert - but the entree's sounded amazing, as did the degustation. We all had different cuts of meat and all like our steak cooked to different levels of 'doneness' and it was cooked perfectly to the way it had been ordered. Condiments were delicious and complemented the meat. Desserts all sounded lovely and the ones we chose were excellent.

I would absolutely recommend dining there and look forward to being able to go again in the future.

1  Thank Kalegna_81
villadupays v, Public Relations Manager at Villa du Pays, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

It was our pleasure serving you and we are glad that we could please all members of your party. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,
Team Villa du Pays

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I brought some friends here in friday for lunch and we had an amazing time. The staff were so attentive and the food was excellently presented and well balanced. I had the smoked trout for entree, which was a treat for the eyes as well as the pallet. The sirloin from the dry ageing room for main. It wad cooked and seasoned perfectly. The wine was first class as well opting for the best chard in the hunter! I would highly recommend this place for anyone to dine.