“Nice couple”
Review of Broken View Estate

Broken View Estate
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We spent 4 days at the resort over the Easter break. We found Cathie and Ian very friendly from the first moment. Yes, there is some dirt road, but that is no issue to an Aussie. We stayed in cottage 3, which enjoyed great views over the mountains and a delightful sunset. The breakfast hamper was more than adequate. Others have written about the beauty of the place, so we would like to point out a couple of negatives. We chose the place because it offered an open fire, but we were denied its use because "it is not winter". City folk like us don't get chance to enjoy open fires, and we were looking forward to it. And the tap water was not hot enough to cut through greasy plates. Please, turn up the thermostat!

Room Tip: All cottages are equal, facing the mountains and the sunset.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon462

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were warned of the dirt road approaching the property and had no issues with it. The property was lovely and we were greeted warmly by Cathie who had handled my booking directly via phone and email and without problem. Whilst chatting with Cathie her husband appeared behind me and without greeting questioned me on my accent I answered him in a friendly manner and continued conversation with Cathie, she informed us we could park between the trees at the gate to catch our shuttle bus to a nearby concert and that they too were attending.
We parked at the gate and were followed down by the hosts and several other guests in their own cars. Ian was abrupt in his manner as he shouted at us to listen to directions and that we were told to park on the opposite side of the drive so as not to hit the lights lining the drive. I heard Cathie say he had not told us that. I was quite taken aback by his arrogant manner and he proceeded to complain about the other guests driving in his front lawn! (paddock). His condescending manner continued as we awaited the bus, certainly not a way to get return patronage.
Our kitchen windows and sliding door to the open bbq area of our cottage (No2) faced directly to the main house with no screening. I felt uncomfortable thinking this man would come out and find something to complain about any minute.
The cottage was clean and roomy with a well equipped kitchen and a lovely breakfast package; farm fresh eggs, bacon, juice, bread, cereals and yoghurt, tea and coffee. Once we put our own food in the fridge it was rather full and could have done with a full size fridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Absolutely fell in love with this place. Came for two nights but could have stayed a week. Kath and Ian were excellent hosts, accommodating and friendly. The cottage itself was beautiful and immaculately cleaned. So close to best vineyards in the area.
Didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

stayed for the weekend, and just fell in love with the place. The estate is beautiful and a fantastic setting for a romantic weekend. Close to all activities in the Hunter and just the feeling of the place was fantastic. The accomodation is overlooking a small lake with just a beautiful romantic feel. Will stay again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I booked 2 cottages for my husband and myself and another couple to stay overnight for a wedding held at the Nirvana Resort next door. Although it is usually a minimum 2 night stay, Cathie the owner, generously offered 1 night for both couples at reduced rate. From the moment we arrived, Ian & Cathie were delightful, welcoming and full of wonderful info of the area and what our cottages provided. Each cottage is set 50 mtrs apart, providing privacy and serenity. It is surrounded by manicured expanse of acreage with horses, grapevines and a small lake. The cottages come stocked with ample fresh produce to make breakfast and snacks in a fully equipped kitchen/crockery/electrical appliances, microwave, oven and a complimentary bottle of their locally produced wine chilling in the fridge. The outdoor patio has a bbq, outdoor table and seating with umbrella where we enjoyed our hot breakfast the following morning. The generous and protected front verandah has casual seating overlooking a lake, quaint bridge and friendly Shetland pony grazing happily in the paddock. He appreciated the fresh apples we bought at a roadside fruit stall outside of Pokolbin. The cottages are spacious, immaculate, modern throughout with a rustic ambiance, ducted air con, fully operational fire place, 2 tvs, stereo/dvd player, 2 lounges, separate desk with chairs for working/writing, separate very large bedroom with huge king size bed made up with high end linen and a spa/jacuzzi incorporated into the master suite. There is also a separate modern and immaculate bathroom with loads of fluffy white towels, toiletries & hairdryer. Additional blankets, vacuum cleaner, iron and board, double wardrobe space all provided. Our friends were staying in the cottage next door so it was a quick 2 minute walk between cottages to socialise, enjoy and share our facilities. This estate ranks at no.11 out of 33 in the Hunter Valley area. I believe it is underrated and would place it in the top 5. Rates are extremely reasonable to comparable accommodation in the area. All in all a wonderful unforgettable weekend experience I would highly recommend for couples, families, individuals and friends. Thankyou Cathie and Ian for making our booking and stay a seamless and memorable experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jenrobbo
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in July & didn't want to go home. Beautiful villa with fireplace & spa bath. Breakfast basket and a bottle of wine is provided too :-) no more than 5-10mins from Hunter restaurants - would defiantly recommend this property!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jacqui M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My partner and I stayed in late June 2013. The accommodation itself was nice enough and the setting around the cottage was great, however it was all over-shadowed by the rude service from the manager, Ian.

First on arrival to collect the keys he wasn't the friendliest but I let that slide and dismissed it. However he was unacceptably rude following that.

On Day 2 of our 2 night stay, we had just returned from an all-day wine tour. The weather was cold and wet and there was little fire wood available inside so I looked around the hut to locate more. There was no stack of fire wood anywhere so I called the office (house) at about 5pm and left a message to ask for more. I was even happy to come up to the main office (house) to get it myself.

About 30mins later the manager delivered the wood to the front door and when I said "Thankyou, I appreciate it" , the manager's aggressive response was "Well you'd better, I had to go out in the dark to get it!" he then dumped the wood at the door and stormed off angrily. No customer should ever be spoken to like that. We had been out all day and surely providing fire wood is part of the service - without the rude attitude.

We wouldn't recommend it based on service alone, it put a bad taste on our whole weekend. Service with a smile is a basic expectation when there is plenty of quality accommodation to choose from in the Hunter,

The dirt road into the property also caused minor damage to my car, you do need to consider this if you don't have a 4WD vehicle.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple