We stayed in the Billabong Cottage at Billabong Moon for three nights mid-week to celebrate our wedding anniversary - and we couldn't have chosen a better place. I had been captivated by the pic on Tripadvisor, and was delighted when we arrived to find it was just as beautiful as I had hoped.
The cottage was spotlessly clean with many welcoming touches - fresh flowers on the table and by the bed, local cheeses, wine and fresh milk in the full-size fridge, together with generous provisions to cook for breakfast - eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh herbs (a lovely touch) and a loaf of fresh bread for toast.
In the kitchen cupboard were variety-pack breakfast cereals (though all the gluten-free ones were missing), a bowl of assorted chocolates, corn for popping in the microwave, teabags, whole-leaf tea and a generous tea pot (I couldn't find a tea strainer, but it didn't matter). There were also cling wrap, foil, paper towels, saucepans, crockery, cutlery, kitchen knives and other utensils.
It really felt like we were staying in a friend's own holiday house - there were music CDs, board games and books in a cupboard, tealites in the sitting room and gazebo (with matches), fishing rods leaning up against an outside wall, and a rowboat to potter about the lake in.
The cottage was comfortable with louvre windows in all the walls, so we could always catch a breeze right through the house (which was just as well because the ceiling fans are an old style that didn't seem to create any breeze at all). At night we left the windows open so we could listen to the chorus of frogs at night and the birds in the morning. The shower is great, the bed cosy and luckily there was a cotton blanket in the cupboard to replace the quilt on the bed (which was much too warm). And by the way, there is a hairdryer even though it didn't seem to be mentioned on the website, so you don't need to bring your own as I did.
After a warm welcome, the owners leave you in peace for the duration of your stay - the rooms are not serviced daily. This suited us fine, and was more relaxing than feeling you had to go out so the place could be serviced.
We had a wonderful dinner at the well-known and nearby Botanica restaurant (where we were treated to a free glass of sparkling wine with the compliments of our hosts at Billabong Moon), and an equally delicious dinner at Emerson's, also only a short drive.
We never turned on the flat-screen TV, but spent plenty of time on the deck lying on the sun lounges or playing cards while gazing over the lake. A truly relaxing holiday and highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A waterfront cottage at Pokolbin along with four other individually designed and decorated cottages located over 10 hectares, makes Billabong Moon a unique place to escape. With couples and small groups in mind, Billabong Moon has an eclectic mix of comfortable contemporary and pre-loved timber furniture, intimate outdoor living, large, comfortable beds, deep baths and spas to help establish the relaxed and indulgent atmosphere. Fish from the deck of Billabong cottage, swim in the salt water pool, gaze at clear night skies or snuggle up fireside. With privacy the priority this is a great place to relax after a day indulging in Pokolbin’s fine wine and food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Billabong Moon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Billabong Moon Hotel Pokolbin
- Billabong Moon Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia