“Should have stayed longer.”

Splinters Guest House
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My family (me, my wife and three children) stayed at Splinters for one night as we travelled through Australia. It really is as good as all the other reviews say. The whole place is very charming and nothing is too much trouble for Bobby. The fridge is stocked as promised, enough for 5 peckish travellers. If you go to the Hunter Valley and are looking for somethinga bit different, including Kangaroos by the golf hole, then this is the place to stay.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul M

Reviewed 5 January 2013

As we drove up to the guest house our lovely host, Bobby, was out to greet us (was it Paul or Don :)). We were shown to our room and then given a quick tour. The views all around were fantastic.

Bobby also recommended and booked a restaurant for dinner. Botanica just 10mins walk away (25minutes back!). She also sorted our pick up for a tour the next day.

We then sat outside our room and enjoyed the white wine, cheese, port and chocolate that all formed part of our welcome to Splinters.

Breakfast was served outside in the morning sunshine at the time of our choosing. Cereals, fruit and gorgeous yoghurt and home made bacon,egg cakes (yummy) or croissant.

My only regret was that we had only booked for 2 evenings ahead of departing Australia for home.

Splinters and Hunter Valley is a stunning location. Bobby is a most perfect host.

Room Tip: All rooms are Equally good and if there is a group of you try the lodge
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I picked this as our place to stay for New Years due to my girl friends constant need to eat and drink the mini bar dry at whatever place we stay at for unknown reasons. This constantly destroys any holiday budget I may have put in place as well as causes unlimited embarrassment when checking out and listing the entire contents of the minibar to staff.

To my eternal gratitude the minibar at Splinters is complimentary! With this financial and emotional weight off my mind it allowed me to relax and enjoy the pool, enjoy a walk through the vines and the nearby cellar doors.

I returned to Splinters to hear the dulcet tones of Steve Guttenburg's voice on the tv in our room. The Girlfriend had borrowed Police Academy from the extensive DVD library (also complimentary)! A more perfect day I couldn't imagine.

Thankyou Splinters Guesthouse.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Hunter Valley, and I would say a HUGE reason for that was Bobby at Splinters.

First of all... The property is gorgeous. The rooms are just as they appear on the website, maybe better. Upon check in, you are greeted with wine, cheese, port and chocolates... which is a lovely touch. The grounds are beautiful and breakfast on the patio is a real treat. Speaking of which... Though it's technically "continental," Bobby takes this up a notch. In addition to yogurt, fruit, cereal and toast... We also got things like mini frittatas one day, hot croissants the next, and poached eggs on our final morning.

Bobby was also a great resource for tours, wineries and restaurants. Two Fat Blokes is a great tour company, and I highly recommend eating at Botanica...just down the road.

Highly recommend this place to anyone staying in Hunter Valley!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank jsire
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We stayed at overnight at Splinters in early Decemeber 2012 and our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. It is a gorgeous, bucolic location. The rooms are very well appointed and the complementary wine, cheese and chocolate on arrivals are a lovely touch.

Breakfast was delicious and a big step above the usual continental fare that you get at a most B&Bs. Bobby was a charming host.

If you are looking for a guest house in the Hunter, we cannot recommend Splinters highly enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aus_Rosie
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I admit I chose Splinters from the reviews of Trip Advisor and to be honest, I was not dissappointed.
We received a personal greeting upon arrival (every guest does), which is rare in hospitality industry.
The GH is boutique, very small; which does mean, of course, makes staying a Splinters feel more personal. Reggie, our hostess was wonderful and very obliging. The personal touches of cheese/wine/port is great.. never experienced that before!
One of our mornings was beautiful, which meant continental breakfast on the terrace outside our room, but with extras ... the hotcakes were great! What a way to start the day. Also have a lovely extra the next day, when we had to breakfast in the dining/lounge area because of weather.
I have stayed at many other places in the Hunter Valley over the years, but I think I have now found the place I will always return too...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gro05
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the main cottage for 1 night in Nov 2012.
It was clean, warm & welcoming.
The facilities are ample & the service from Bobby was exceptional.
Conveniently located amongst numerous vineyards.
Pictures don't do this place justice, well done guys.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Tonic Hotel
Tonic Hotel
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens

Been to Splinters Guest House? Share your experiences!