“What a joyous and wonderful experience”

Splinters Guest House
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed 9 February 2013

My goodness me!

Bobby Jory is one of life's rare finds. I have to start the review with her. Splinters has been created from and around the special qualities and vision that this lady possesses. She is quite an extraordinary woman and a real example for others to emulate within the industry.

Needless to say, we were warmly greeted by Bobby when we arrived after a longish drive from Sydney. We were given enough information to settle in but also given space to ease into the surroundings slowly and at our own pace. This was one of a number of occasions where the hostesses skills and perception shone through.

The room and facilities were just as expected and reflected in the photographs and reviews. The gardens were quite magnificent in scale and that that they were lovingly created over time and had quirky features that reflected real homely personalities rather than an arid corporate identity.

I went on a voyage of discovery on the first morning and spotted my first ever kangaroos in the flesh - so to speak. I was ribbed mercilessly by travelling companions as to whether they were kangaroos or wallabies - but whatever- it was one of those experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life.

There is a wonderful sense of space and tranquility on the land at Splinters where one can lose oneself and have periods of quiet reflection.

The attention to detail and Bobby's innate sense of anticipating guests needs was a joy to behold. The breakfasts were indeed of royal proportions and the tables from the linen to the cutlery and china were fresh, spotless and changed as and when needed. Bobby also took the opportunity over breakfast to help and assist with booking and itineraries. Bobby also afforded great courtesy to a dear friend of ours who had been unable to book Splinters and was staying nearby.

We also met some lovely people here who were all in agreement about the unique atmosphere of the place. A passing mention to Bill (Bobby's husband) who dipped in and out occasionally of the conversations- a lovely bloke and the other half of a great couple.

Bobby has great listening skills,a subtle and alert sense of humour but also has a story to tell of an interesting and varied life. Thank you for sharing some of your experiences. I can only say that we are sorry to have missed the 'iconic' haircut but you will ,nevertheless, remain a legend to us!

Splinters is an outstanding example of what real hospitality is all about . I can honestly say that I spent a few of the happiest days of my life here - what more can anyone say?

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Splinters Guest House

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Great base in the Hunter Valley. Bobby the host is very hospitable, friendly and a good source of local knowledge. She suggested some good wineries and restaurants to visit. The garden is lovely and has a small pool. The continental breakfast on the terrace is super and changes every day There are some nice touches such as free cheese and wine and macaroons on arrival. There is free wifi and the only (slight) negative was that the rooms, although very nicely fitted out, aren't particularly comfortable to spend time in eg if the weather is bad.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2013

It was a great experience staying at this B&B starting from the warm welcome we received when we arrived. Our hostess was always very helpful throughout our stay.

The B&B is set on a large block of land with a pleasant view. We stayed in the main building but there are separate units nearby. The B&B is close to numerous wineries and restaurants - a great location.

We enjoyed the breakfasts on the patio area outside our room. Our room was air conditioned - which we needed because it was a warm summer weekend.

The B&B has WiFi but the signal was sometimes weak and unreliable - which is probably common in the Hunter Valley.

Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My family (me, my wife and three children) stayed at Splinters for one night as we travelled through Australia. It really is as good as all the other reviews say. The whole place is very charming and nothing is too much trouble for Bobby. The fridge is stocked as promised, enough for 5 peckish travellers. If you go to the Hunter Valley and are looking for somethinga bit different, including Kangaroos by the golf hole, then this is the place to stay.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 5 January 2013

As we drove up to the guest house our lovely host, Bobby, was out to greet us (was it Paul or Don :)). We were shown to our room and then given a quick tour. The views all around were fantastic.

Bobby also recommended and booked a restaurant for dinner. Botanica just 10mins walk away (25minutes back!). She also sorted our pick up for a tour the next day.

We then sat outside our room and enjoyed the white wine, cheese, port and chocolate that all formed part of our welcome to Splinters.

Breakfast was served outside in the morning sunshine at the time of our choosing. Cereals, fruit and gorgeous yoghurt and home made bacon,egg cakes (yummy) or croissant.

My only regret was that we had only booked for 2 evenings ahead of departing Australia for home.

Splinters and Hunter Valley is a stunning location. Bobby is a most perfect host.

Room Tip: All rooms are Equally good and if there is a group of you try the lodge
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I picked this as our place to stay for New Years due to my girl friends constant need to eat and drink the mini bar dry at whatever place we stay at for unknown reasons. This constantly destroys any holiday budget I may have put in place as well as causes unlimited embarrassment when checking out and listing the entire contents of the minibar to staff.

To my eternal gratitude the minibar at Splinters is complimentary! With this financial and emotional weight off my mind it allowed me to relax and enjoy the pool, enjoy a walk through the vines and the nearby cellar doors.

I returned to Splinters to hear the dulcet tones of Steve Guttenburg's voice on the tv in our room. The Girlfriend had borrowed Police Academy from the extensive DVD library (also complimentary)! A more perfect day I couldn't imagine.

Thankyou Splinters Guesthouse.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Hunter Valley, and I would say a HUGE reason for that was Bobby at Splinters.

First of all... The property is gorgeous. The rooms are just as they appear on the website, maybe better. Upon check in, you are greeted with wine, cheese, port and chocolates... which is a lovely touch. The grounds are beautiful and breakfast on the patio is a real treat. Speaking of which... Though it's technically "continental," Bobby takes this up a notch. In addition to yogurt, fruit, cereal and toast... We also got things like mini frittatas one day, hot croissants the next, and poached eggs on our final morning.

Bobby was also a great resource for tours, wineries and restaurants. Two Fat Blokes is a great tour company, and I highly recommend eating at Botanica...just down the road.

Highly recommend this place to anyone staying in Hunter Valley!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank jsire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Spicers Vineyards Estate
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley

Been to Splinters Guest House? Share your experiences!