Splinters Guest House
Estate Tuscany(Pokolbin)
  • Breakfast included
The Guest House(Pokolbin)
View Hotel
All reviewson arrivalhunter valleybottle of winecrackersplace to staycheese platterlocal cheesestayed longerexcellent breakfastfresh fruittwo nightstwo couplescoffee machinegreat hostsbeautiful propertya wonderful staygreat weekend
Reviewed 14 November 2009

From the moment we arrived until we reluctantly left we loved staying at Splinters Guest House. Bobby was there to greet us, like an old friend, asked us what we wanted to do on our visit, and had lots of suggestions. She rang and booked a restaurant for us, and recommended wineries to visit.
Our room was comfortable, and the facilities great. We appreciated the lounge with a supply of books DVD's and massage chair. Everything was clean and welcoming, the grounds lovely, with water features, pool, and gazebos for relaxing. A lovely atmosphere.
The location was perfect for us, everything we wanted to visit seemed 'just down the road'.
Breakfast each morning was a special treat, taken outside admiring the view. At night it was lovely sitting outside sipping wine by candlelight, relaxing after a tough day of wine tasting, and chatting to other guests, Bobby's friendliness seemed contagious.
We loved everything about Splinters; thank you Bobby also for the tickets to the Christmas lights- just amazing! See you again soon!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Accommodation in the Hunter Valley is not cheap. So when I found Splinters, I thought maybe it was a bit too good to be true at $150 a night per couple (from Sun-Thu) which included breakfast and on arrival port, chocolate, cheese platter and a small bottle of wine. We stayed a queen ensuite room which was very charming in its country way. The room included TV, fridge, tea/coffe and toast making equipments and air-con- it all felt very comfortable. The owner, Bobbi is very sociable and will provide recommendations to activities in the region, restaurants, wineries. After finding out where we wanted to have dinner, she was straight on the phone to help us make a booking. She also brings breakfast into your room in the mornings, and yes breakfast is really good - cereal, toast, juice, milk, fruit salad & usually something hot as well (in our case mini omlettes). Splinters is also situated in a good location, closed to some good wineries (ie. Keith Tulloch).
The bathroom was spacious with a shower facility. We noted was that guest towels were not changed on a daily basis but were just hung up to dry.
There is limited wi-fi internet access, I was told you had to go out on the porch to access it....yeah ok.
Other than that, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Found this gem based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and I absolutely agree with everyone! Bobby is a gracious host whose property is charming and homely. Everything was in great condition and it's located really close to a lot of nice wineries and restaurants. She was kind enough to give us some recommendations on which vineyards not to miss and where we should dine and I do say, she was spot on! My partner stayed in one of the bigger, more popular resorts on his previous trip to Hunter Valley and he said it didn't even come close to Splinters. Though our stay was short, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd return to Splinters on my next trip to Hunter. :)

Oh and I cannot end this review without mentioning Bobby's AMAZING home-baked croissants! No croissant will ever compare!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband I stayed there for two nights during our honeymoon. Bobbi took excellent care of us while we were there. I hadn't had much time to research the area before we arrived, but she took care of booking restaurants and marking her favorites on a map. She provided clear, concise instructions on how to maximize our brief stay in Hunter Valley, and her restaurant recommendations were spot on. The property itself is well-located - not more than 5 minutes from the major restaurants and vineyards. The grounds are charming - a small gazebo, a couple cottages, and the main inn - with about 4 rooms. We stayed in one of the rooms, and it was clean and very nicely furnished. The breakfast each morning was delivered to the door (nice touch) and was absolutely delicious. Croissants were piping hot. Each room is equipped with coffee/tea facilities and fridge to hold bubbly and nice cheeses. What we loved the most was the warm sense of hospitality we received from Bobbi. Thanks!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We booked Splinters Guesthouse based on earlier reviews to celebrate our 18 year anniversary. This was our first time at the Hunter Valley and we absolutely loved it.
My husband and I stayed in one of the cottages for 3 nights and could of easily stayed for longer (but our children wouldn't of been too happy back home).
Bobby is just wonderful - a lovely lady who provides only the best in her guesthouse.
The cottage was beautiful and very clean. All the extras like a cheese platter and bottle of wine on arrival, port and chocolates made us feel special. The property is lovely - my husband enjoyed playing Par 3 (golf) and I enjoyed the peaceful scenery. We will definitely return to Splinters and recommend this place 100%. During our stay we went to the Hunter Valley Wine School (very interesting if you want to learn more about wine making and tasting), Cheers wine tasting tour (excellent - the tour was well organised), ate at Amanda's on the Edge (delicious) and Brokenback BBQ & Tapas Bar (very nice food and great cocktails) and recommend a Balancing mud moor bath & facial at The Golden Door Spa (felt like I was on top of the world!). From Canberra it took us just over 5 hours to get to Pokolbin and it is so worth it. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple