“The boys are turning 50 weekend in the Hunter”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tonic Hotel

Tonic Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, Australia
“The boys are turning 50 weekend in the Hunter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A simply wonderful weekend at Tonic. The accommodation was divine, the sunsets from the verandah reflecting on the pond were superb, local wineries and restaurants fantastic, get together in the Tonic room sharing our wine purchases in front of the fire and a few stories 'memorable' and this morning opened the blinds at sunrise to watch the hot air balloons float by - a stunning finale. Thank you - I'm sure members of our party will be back to Tonic for more adventures. Thanks again. PS Breakfasts were lovely!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Virginia K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights over the John Farnham/Lionel Richie concert weekend in March 2014.

Very quiet grounds with a calming outlook towards the west for great views of the dams and rolling hills, complete with the odd kangaroo.

Rooms were spacious and decorated with a contemporary minimalist feel.
Room Features included:
- King Sized Bed
- Kitchenette (microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge/freezer, cutlery, cups/plates)
- Stocked fridge for breakfast (various toasts, fruit, yoghurt, muesli, croissants, tea, coffee, milk)
- Large flatscreen TV
- Free WiFi
- Bath tub (not a spa)
- open area shower
- own deck facing the westerly view with tables and chairs
- morning papers delivered to your door
- high quality towels, robes and slippers
- ironing board, iron, hairdryer, safe, inspect spray and even aeroguard!

Common area was great too and we were able to spend a few hours in there by ourselves:
- overlooks pool
- FULL kitchen
- large dining area
- outdoor BBQ
- bean bags
- DVD's, CD's, large flatscreen TV
- lounge area

Highly recommended and my own tip would be for the tables on the decks of the rooms to be larger (not enough space to enjoy the morning papers while eating breakfast) and a coffee machine for fussy coffee drinkers!

Sure, it's not cheap, but well worth the extra $$ for a quiet and relaxing Hunter Valley experience. This place would even be great during bad weather (fire place in the common area and watching the storm from your own deck)

Room Tip: We were in a "middle" room with rooms either side and we only ever heard our neighbours wh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda J
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at Tonic Hotel for the two days prior to my wedding with my mum and best friend.. Owners Ian and Janelle truly made the prior days and morning of my wedding amazing.. They both went above and beyond to make everything perfect and I can't thank them enough..

I really can't say enough about Tonic to do it justice it's just beautiful.. It made for a perfect relaxing stay and the perfect backdrop for all my pre wedding photos..
Positioned to give the beauty and privacy of the Hunter Valley and yet 5-10 minutes from all the beautiful wineries and restaurants..
We stayed in the two bedroom villa which had a massive balcony with a BBQ and amazing views.. Comfy king sized beds, slippers, robes, large bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, large living room.. Everything you could want in the fridge for a very tasty breakfast and snack supplies..
You wake up in the morning to views of the dam and kangaroos, it's just so peaceful..
My husband and I will definitely be returning again and again to this amazing hotel..

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Mlugg
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I would like to say what a fabulous stay I had with my daughter and her best friend (bride and MOH) on the 2 days prior to her wedding. I cannot say enough about the owners Ian and Janelle. They really went above and beyond to make my daughters wedding a very happy event. After she had her wedding accommodation cancelled by another hotel in the area Ian and Janelle came to the rescue. We stayed in the 2 bedroom unit which overlooked a large dam on the property. I woke the first morning to look out of my bedroom window to see Kangaroos feeding and hot air balloons in the distance. So very peaceful. Ian and Janelle also came to the rescue for her wedding night - they let her stay in their own guest accommodation as there was nowhere left in the valley ( because of the Bruce Springstein Concert ) after her accommodation was cancelled at short notice. They did everything they could to make her day perfect. If you are looking for a peaceful stay in the Hunter Valley I would really recommend you try Tonic Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank anneml
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here last week for 3 nights. Originally booked at one of the larger chain hotels in the area but wanted to try something a bit different and boutique so we changed to Tonic.

The property grounds and units are well kept and modern. The location is great as you're only 5-10 minutes away from all the great vineyards and restaurants. If you're looking for peace and quiet and somewhere to relax this place is perfect.

Request a unit on the end of each block for more privacy. Unit 1 is the 2 bedroom unit which is on its own. The furniture and fittings are modern, high ceilings and the bathroom is a good size. I was surprised to find there was no shower screen but somehow the water was still contained to the shower corner. Lovely and light bathroom with fluffy towels, floor mat and robe. The bed was very comfortable. I would like to mention that the walls between the units must be quite thin as we could hear our neighbours next door. I'm not sure how the other rooms are furnished but it would have been nice to have a lounge/couch to curl up on and read a book but that's just a personal preference. Overall the unit was very comfortable with some luxurious touches.

The cleaners seemed to only come in every second day to tidy the bathroom and replace towels but they did come in each day to tidy the rest of the room and top up the breakfast supplies. The room was clean except the shelves behind the bed were dusty. Breakfast was delicious and generous - muesli, fresh fruit, yoghurt, pancakes, croissants and banana bread - definately gourmet.

We met Ian a couple of times during our stay who is absolutely lovely - he was very happy to help and recommend places to visit. He suggested visiting Morpeth only 15 minutes away for a street of boutique shops and arts/crafts. Its a real gem and I'm so pleased he recommended this place as we really loved it.

We would recommend a stay at Tonic - a refreshing change from the usual chain hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the end of each block of units.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Tonic Hotel provided everything we needed for a relaxing getaway. We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment which we found to be modern and comfortable. The first night we relaxed and stayed in for the night. Although we had ample cooking facilities with a large kitchen and veranda with BBQ we chose from the delicious curries and rice available on site to heat up and were very satisfied.

There is no formal check in or checkout which makes things relaxed and easy. The property is so private and we had great views over the dam from our lounge and bedroom, not a bad sight to be waking up to really or enjoying a glass of wine upon sunset.

Location wise you are only a few minutes’ drive from some of the best restaurants in the hunter.

We met our host Ian shortly after arriving who was very friendly and more than accommodating.

We cannot say enough about this property and will most certainly be returning sooner rather than later.

Thanks Tonic

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Once again, Tonic has provided premium boutique accommodation with top service and ultimate relaxation! My boyfriend and I stayed there over the valentines day weekend and couldn't have had a more relaxing and effortless weekend. We stated in the 2 bedroom room - as we love having a kitchen available and a living area to hang out in. Everything in the room is of top quality from the kitchen to the living area to the bedroom and bathroom. The bedding is super comfy with quality linen, as are the bath towels and robes. Everything you need is catered for! Breakfast food - in the fridge ready for you to have when you want! Best banana bread I've ever had! Bathroom is beautifully stocked with top quality products as well as bath salts, and there are candles all around the apartment for that touch of romance.. just everything you need for a weekend away is there! Even glad wrap!
You can check in and out when you like with keyless entry - no need to go to a reception!
I can't recommend tonic highly enough! A huge thanks to Ian and Janelle who make the best hosts! And not to mention the special valentines day chocs which were delicious!
Best service, best quality, best weekend!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
#9 of 15 in Pokolbin
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens

Been to Tonic Hotel? Share your experiences!