“Atmosphere,an open fire,pleasant staff, great food”

The Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 76 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2014

If you are ever up in the Hunter Valley you have to give this restaurant a go. My wife and I stumbled upon the Cellar Restaurant during the day and went in to enquire about a reservation, We were greeted by three very pleasant waitresses{off to a good start} the girls remarked that they were nearly fully booked and said they could fit us in around seven O'Clock, a perfect time.
Just before 7 we arrived at the Cellar Restaurant again to be greeted upon entry by one of those waitresses we had meet earlier, "Stephanie" we were shown to our table and asked if we would like some water, Stephanie arrived back within a short time with our sparkling water and also with our menus to which Stephanie proceeded to go through the menu with us,decisions decisions decisions and with the decision now made Stephanie took our order.
Bread,oil, and dip arrived promptly as did the Morsels, Entree's our selections included Little salmon fish cakes with aioli, Crispy line caught calamari with orange and fennel, Yorkshire pudding with braised wagyu skirt and the Mains 250 gram Cape Grim grass fed sirloin, Five large char grilled Coffs Harbour Prawns {shell on} and our selection of sides included Parsnip, kipper potatoes and pumpkin.
All the meals arrived hot, well presented, generous servings and with a smile. {please see photos} Now as for desert even with two of my favourite dishes on offer we could not have fitted in another mouthful in and just so you can see the tempting deserts I took a photo of the menu for you to be tempted by
Now after reading this review and seeing the tempting photos of our meals attached, don't have any second thoughts give it a go I am sure you wont be disappointed. One last tip when you book try to get on Stephanie's tables

1  Thank Glenn N

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My husband I thought we'd have a nice night out. We had been to the Cellar and loved it for years! Something really overwhelming bad happened: we had meals from the grill for our mains and this brought no joy. My husband had the Cape Grim fillet and it was not cooked to request and was chewy. I had the fillet of barramundi with a cafe de Paris butter - most disappointing - I asked for the butter on the side but is was plopped on top. My husband had the banana tarte tartine for dessert and asked for it without the peanut ice cream but they brought peanuts in a bowl for him. This would have not been so bad except we had told them I was allergic to nuts (anaphylaxis) - this could have been the kiss of death for me if my husband had eaten them. I'm sorry but I have a rule of thumb that if it's no better than I can cook then I'm not eating there again. Plus the recklessness with the peanuts just cemented my decision. A real pity!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The service was calm, helpful and discreet. The food was beautifully prepared and served. The flavours and textures were exceptional. Of course the food was well supported by some superb local red wine!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

What a great surprise to find such great service and food. Dimmity served us and was fantastic and attentive. The food was excellent and the prices were reasonable. Our food for some reason was a little delayed and other guests had their mains before us, so things went a little awry in the kitchen however they kept us informed. I would dine here again, nice atmosphere and a big roaring fire.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently arranged a 21st birthday dinner at the restaurant and throughout the whole process the staff and chef were amazing and very accommodating. From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic and they made not only the birthday girl feel special but all of the guests. The staff were fabulous, the food was as good as any restaurant in the area if not better. They even made a raw food birthday cake ( scrumptious ) especially for the birthday girl. One member of the party is glutton free dairy free and they were able to adapt nearly every meal for her to choose. Wow and many thanks, we will be back many times and can't recommend this restaurant enough.